Thread: Is Disc broken?

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Is Disc broken?

Be seeing a lot of people struggling with disc and unable to clear mythic bosses?

Disc is my main spec, but havent played since MoP. Should I go Holy until Blizzard fixes Disc? Or is there nothing to be fixed?

It's not "broken" but it's definitely the weakest healer in 5mans. Still possible, just harder.

Deleted
    Disc is in a weird spot. It's obviously harder to play than other healers, for little payoff. Don't get me wrong, in the right hands it's good, but the majority are unable to handle the spec.

Unfortunately, when I see a disc in a group these days, I know we're not going to finish the dungeon.

Deleted
    last time i healed a 5 mans at 110, i needed a healer for my heart attack i got before and after every pull.
    i love the concept of disc but plays weird right now.

Nope, their mechanics are working as intended.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    It feels like Disc has to work much harder just to get okay results. Since much about the Disc spec relies on anticipating exactly who takes what kind of damage at what point in time, I wouldn't recommend Disc in pugs. In guild groups it could work, but even then the simple fact is that you either won't be doing as much healing as another healer would, or you're forced to resort to spamming Shadow Mend, which sadly defeats the flavour of the spec. I'm pretty sure Disc can heal most content fine, it's a matter of how you heal it; if all you do is stand still and spam one heal, you might as well play another healing spec and get more bang for your buck.

I'd been looking forward to Disc for ages, but with 7.0 and now having reached level 110, I just don't think that for me personally it's worth sinking my time and AP into. That's not to say Disc sucks, Holy just feels better for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Keadin84
    It feels like Disc has to work much harder just to get okay results.
    That's what happens when a spec becomes tainted by Shadow.

Until you get deep into the artifact weapon disc isn't gonna feel super rewarding.
    Check my achievements bruh.

I healed most of the mythics under 810 ilvl. Disc is by far the hardest healing spec, but is in no way weaker. You do the same hps as everyone else while still doing dps. The problem is the nobody except people who played beta has any clue what they're doing.

It's really difficult to take Grace and Twist of Fate, and spam Shadow Mend on the tank ad nauseum. In the event that the group takes damage, you can PWR or just Shadow Mend each person on the group and press Penance/Smite/Mindbender etc.

It's actually very easy in terms of execution. People just have these ridiculous mental blocks about how they are supposed to play Disc because they make assumptions about the entire spec instead of just looking at the spells and figuring out what each one is supposed to be good for.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyoran View Post
    The problem is the nobody except people who played beta has any clue what they're doing.
    Why do people always assume this?

I mean it's not like we had Legion specs during the 7.0 prepatch in WoD.......oh wait

Disc isn't hard to play, it's just clunky compared to the other healers, and struggles in 5mans because you have to juggle the group and the tank at the same time, being the only healer.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    It's not "broken" but it's definitely the weakest healer in 5mans. Still possible, just harder.
    It is also significantly more complicated then it was for people that have only healed as disc in MoP or WoD. You can't smite or bubble your way to victory anymore.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Le rarest Pepe View Post
    Disc is in a weird spot. It's obviously harder to play than other healers, for little payoff. Don't get me wrong, in the right hands it's good, but the majority are unable to handle the spec.

Unfortunately, when I see a disc in a group these days, I know we're not going to finish the dungeon.
    As a tank, I know it means I'm going to have to actually pay attention and time CD's better, which is ok with me because I have to actually pay attention. I do notice on big pulls though that things don't go as well as they could because Disc just cannot output fast enough.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

There are just some fights that are super hard as disc in 5 mans. While some are super easy. I think people are spending to much time trying to be a throughput healer and don't have enough macro's ect made and using cooldowns more often.

I found the more aggressive I am with disc, the easier it became. Disc doesn't keep people topped instantly, just keep atonement flowing on the party members, keep doing damage and all will be okay. Disc struggles when there is lots of party damage combined with movement where there is spike damage to a single person. Recovering can be difficult as disc.

Still fun to play regardless and those that really want the spec to work will make it work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I found the changes to Disc to be really fun and didnt really have too much trouble in the WoD 5man.

One thing I can say for sure is mouse over macro's or an addon is required, not optional. You need to be able to alternate between targeted heals and damage without wasting time changing targets back and forth. So when I play mobs/boss are always targeted to receive blasts of schism then penance and smite and I use mouse over macro's to throw healing spells at party members.

I think what people dont realize is Disc isnt supposed to be high on the charts. What Disc is supposed to do is heal and dps, the added dps means fights last less time which then equals to less damage in the long run. Really isnt a meter to show that so Disc gets seen as a shit healing spec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    I think what people dont realize is Disc isnt supposed to be high on the charts..
    Why isn't it "supposed to"? I don't get this mentality, just because one of your utilities is dealing damage you have to be less of a healer? This was clearly not the case as MoP disc did the most healing and did damage, so why would it hold true now all of a sudden? Blizzard never stated that disc were a "support" class, they are a healer, their healing spells just happen to do damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jep3 View Post
    Why isn't it "supposed to"? I don't get this mentality, just because one of your utilities is dealing damage you have to be less of a healer? This was clearly not the case as MoP disc did the most healing and did damage, so why would it hold true now all of a sudden? Blizzard never stated that disc were a "support" class, they are a healer, their healing spells just happen to do damage.
    If disc would heal the same as "pure" healers and do damage why would anyone take any other healing class to the raid? I think it's fair this way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulimn View Post
    If disc would heal the same as "pure" healers and do damage why would anyone take any other healing class to the raid? I think it's fair this way.
    It is "fair," but I wonder if it doesn't make Disc too niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Keadin84 View Post
    It is "fair," but I wonder if it doesn't make Disc too niche.
    Now that's a question I've been wondering about, too.
    Keeping a disc just for the situations when you don't need another "pure" healer sounds a bit strange.
    Maybe if it can compensate enough with utility and damage...

The problem is that the discipline doesnt do so much damage to be forced to heal less.

but also following that logic, why a healer class waaaay much easier should heal more or same as a disci? xDD