Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Stanford sex attack swimmer freed from jail

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37259537

A student at a top US university whose six-month jail sentence for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman in 2015 was widely criticised for being too lenient has been released from prison.

Brock Turner, 21, who was a swimming champion, assaulted the woman outside a Stanford University fraternity house.

He was freed from the Santa Clara County Main Jail in San Jose, California, after serving three months.

Inmates in California typically serve 50% of their sentences before release.

Turner, who left the jail without commenting to journalists, apparently intends to return to Ohio to live with his parents.

Under the terms of his release, he faces three years of supervised probation and will be registered as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

The local sheriff's office in Ohio said Turner would be treated "no differently than any other sex offender we monitor".

The former swimmer's sentence prompted an outcry, with critics saying the judge had been overly lenient and sex assaults on US campuses were not being treated seriously enough.

Prosecutors had demanded a sentence of six years in state prison.

Judge Aaron Persky, who handed down the sentence, expressed concern about the impact of prison on Turner. In his decision, he said positive character references and Turner's remorse and lack of previous criminal record were mitigating factors.

Turner's father, Dan, also sparked outrage during the case, saying his son should not have been jailed for "20 minutes of action".
    What's your opinion on this?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I need his lawyer on speed dial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Its a very disappointing result. As someone on the outside looking in, I think the fact that in some cases, if that kid had been selling marijuana instead of raping a girl, he would have got a harsher sentence is a serious issue in our justice system. This kid should have served his full sentence and even then the sentence was extremely light.

On the bright side, he will be labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life and likely will never gain reasonable employment, have restrictions on living area, etc.

What's your opinion on this?
    Rapists should not get slap on wrist sentences, where guy with some weed for third time get life in jail.

It's far worse crime than having some crap in your possession, why aren't judges treating it like one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I need his lawyer on speed dial.
    It'll only work if you are white, male and rich though. Flunk any of those three categories and the Judge will deem you a menace to society.

Are you mad that people can get reduced sentences or just this guy?

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Is Annalise keeting his attorney?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    It'll only work if you are white, male and rich though. Flunk any of those three categories and the Judge will deem you a menace to society.
    I am white, female and wealthy.

Honestly I suspect his wealth had more to do with it than the first two. Money is the closest thing to a super power one can have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

It's a system of an overcrowded prison system.

Example: Stepfather sexually assaults his 15-year-old stepdaughter less than six months after marrying her mother, gets 45 days in prison.

Not making that up.

10+ Year Old Account
    That didn't take long.

because woman get the book thrown at them in rape cases .....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Are you mad that people can get reduced sentences or just this guy?
    Well getting found guilty of rape and only serving 3 months is ridiculous and a mockery of justice. Yeah people get reduced sentences that's not really the point

Well getting found guilty of rape and only serving 3 months is ridiculous and a mockery of justice. Yeah people get reduced sentences that's not really the point
    Can you really mock justice at this point?

We already have more then two sets of laws depending on your social or financial background. Really can anything at this point be a mockery?

People are going to castrate him if they find him passed out drunk.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am white, female and wealthy.
    You're invincible without the lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Can you really mock justice at this point?

We already have more then two sets of laws depending on your social or financial background. Really can anything at this point be a mockery?
    That's what happens when you rename corruption into freedom of speech (money).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I need me this guys lawyer, and background, and judge...

Not that Im planning on raping anyone.

lol no, its enough with rich
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    lol no, its enough with rich
    You'd think so, but OJ had to almost bankrupt himself to get away with murder. Different standards!

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    People are going to castrate him if they find him passed out drunk.
    - - - Updated - - -

You're invincible without the lawyer.

Nah people wont care, same was said about zimmerman everyone was oh he gonna get it by randoms he never did.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd think so, but OJ had to almost bankrupt himself to get away with murder. Different standards!
    big difference between finger fucking someone and murdering 2 people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.