Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Aliens can exist but ghosts can't..? Anyways ..Energy cannot be destroyed nor created. It transforms from one form into another.
    We exists so why can't other beings exist? We live on a planet full of different creatures of all kinds of shapes, sizes, and intelligence...how hard is it to believe that it isn't possible for intelligence to evolve on another planet?

All of these so called claims of Ghosts and so far nothing proven...people praise God and yet there is no proof at all of any kind of divine intervention...if there were such things as ghosts or the divine then we would have seen evidence by now since pretty much everyone carries around a video recorder in their pocket these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It doesn't matter if it makes sense to you. It just has to make sense to me.
    Irrational belief is a mental disorder...

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    We exists so why can't other beings exist? We live on a planet full of different creatures of all kinds of shapes, sizes, and intelligence...how hard is it to believe that it isn't possible for intelligence to evolve on another planet?

All of these so called claims of Ghosts and so far nothing proven...people praise God and yet there is no proof at all of any kind of divine intervention...if there were such things as ghosts or the divine then we would have seen evidence by now since pretty much everyone carries around a video recorder in their pocket these days.

Aliens though are claimed to not just be real beings but intelligent beings that people have also seen, encountered, have some degree of evidence for and have had alleged encounters with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I've encountered many things that would most easily be explained through other forms of supernatural phenomena...

So even though I'm pretty doubtful of *any* popular form of ghost story-type existences, I won't discount something completely just because I think it sounds absurd.

And to followup with "aliens"... if aliens exist (which I think is fairly likely), we are in the younger spectrum of the universe, so odds say aliens would exist in the elder region, and be more advanced than us than we are to amoeba.

If such a entity exists, then could they not be a quick and dirty explanation for 'ghosts', being some form of echo of an attempt to "copy/backup" the soul of us primitive humans.

But thats just one completely baseless theory of why the existence of aliens might make ghosts more believable.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    It is hard to call someone a lunatic and then expect it not to be considered an insult.

The reason the word Ghost is used is a lack of linguistic tools. How do I communicate to a friend, co-worker, ect things that cannot be described in day to day language? Neither Welsh nor English had an exact vocabulary so I often say the words that best communicate meaning.

I also don't ask you to believe me.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is a valid question to wonder if we have the capacity to actually capture the evidence with our current instruments. If these specters are real and somewhat as people describe them than they are intelligent-ish "Things," that act under some strange will of their own.

There is the possibility that its a phenomena that doesn't want to be recorded or cannot be made to be recorded with current technology.
    Some good points. It could also be this is a subject where the actions do not have to follow the laws of physics as we do.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

A condescending attitude can be more dangerous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    At least you didn't have sleep paralysis
    I've had that happen to me as a kid. I had no freaking idea what was going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have seen things I do not have a reasonable explanation for, they can be called ghosts, purely for absence of a word in any of the languages I know to really describe these things in any meaningful way.
    Ghost is not a suitable word to use, as ghost describes a specific type of supernatural phenomena, i.e. the visual manifestation of a dead person's spirit, and you have never seen one of them, nobody has, for the simple reason that they do not exist.

Why not just say that you saw something you couldn't explain, rather than misuse a defined term?

Substituting the word leprechaun for ghost would be equally as valid, yet funnily enough people never claim they saw a leprechaun, though Michael Higgins is often mistaken for one.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Ghost is not a suitable word to use, as ghost describes a specific type of supernatural phenomena, i.e. the visual manifestation of a dead person's spirit, and you have never seen one of them, nobody has, for the simple reason that they do not exist.

Why not just say that you saw something you couldn't explain, rather than misuse a defined term?

Substituting the word leprechaun for ghost would be equally as valid, yet funnily enough people never claim they saw a leprechaun, though Michael Higgins is often mistaken for one.
    Because I do not actually know for certain it wasn't a ghost and in general description at least 2 of the instances I've seen or experienced something are similar to what other people describe as Ghosts.

I cannot say for sure that I haven't or that they definitively are not a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    ...so odds say aliens would exist in the elder region, and be more advanced than us than we are to amoeba.
    That is not necessarily true. Humans are something of a freak amongst all the creatures that have ever existed on this planet, we could well be a freak in the universe, it somewhat depends on the rarity of life and how often species develop advanced tool use.

- - - Updated - - -

Because I do not actually know for certain it wasn't a ghost and in general description at least 2 of the instances I've seen or experienced something are similar to what other people describe as Ghosts.

I cannot say for sure that I haven't or that they definitively are not a thing.
    You do not know for certain that it was a ghost, so why apply that specific label to it? Why not call it a leprechaun? Or a fairy? Or one of the other many words we have? Why that particular word?

Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    Waking dream. The vast majority of ghost stories from reasonable people involve their bedrooms or when they're tired or drifting asleep. Coincidence?

My experience was being pinned by a large black dog to my bed and blinking only to find it vanished. That was pretty scary for a couple years until I learned the real cause. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

We have absolutely no reason to think ghosts are real. We know how consciousness works as a byproduct of a brain. The brain decomposes and dies.

The most obvious problem is think of how many ghosts there would have to be. You wouldn't be able to move anywhere without being in contact with at least 5 ghost butts at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post

My experience was being pinned by a large black dog to my bed and blinking only to find it vanished. That was pretty scary for a couple years until I learned the real cause. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

We have absolutely no reason to think ghosts are real. We know how consciousness works as a byproduct of a brain. The brain decomposes and dies.

The most obvious problem is think of how many ghosts there would have to be. You wouldn't be able to move anywhere without being in contact with at least 5 ghost butts at all times.

You are assuming ghosts are come from the departed who lived here on earth. And even if they are, does not mean all spirits of the dead are wondering around the earth. The whole problem with ghost is us who are alive now here, do not understand all there is to know. Most cases can be rationally explained. But there are some which are not so easy to explain other than a simple dismissal as non acceptance as real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aliens though are claimed to not just be real beings but intelligent beings that people have also seen, encountered, have some degree of evidence for and have had alleged encounters with.
    Both can be seen as irrational, only difference is ghosts are a thing of the Earth and we've yet to see evidence of them, where as Aliens are a thing of other planets.

In a world were a large chunk of people are carrying recording devices with them and still yet to have seen any proof vs a belief of beings from other planets where we don't have the technology to prove or disprove life on other planets.

Believing in something with no proof or logic behind it vs believing in something we're currently unable to prove but there is logic behind believing life has evolved in a vast universe with many other planets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both can be seen as irrational, only difference is ghosts are a thing of the Earth and we've yet to see evidence of them, where as Aliens are a thing of other planets.

In a world were a large chunk of people are carrying recording devices with them and still yet to have seen any proof vs a belief of beings from other planets where we don't have the technology to prove or disprove life on other planets.

Believing in something with no proof or logic behind it vs believing in something we're currently unable to prove but there is logic behind believing life has evolved in a vast universe with many other planets.
    Logic is limited to one's knowledge. And one can not believe in anything they are not convicted is real.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You are assuming ghosts are come from the departed who lived here on earth. And even if they are, does not mean all spirits of the dead are wondering around the earth. The whole problem with ghost is us who are alive now here, do not understand all there is to know. Most cases can be rationally explained. But there are some which are not so easy to explain other than a simple dismissal as non acceptance as real.
    People have anecdotal evidence for everything. Incidents of "my brother's cousin's uncle's former roommate totally saw a ghost one night without a camera or other witnesses while mildly intoxicated" simply don't cut it for me.

Though you're right that I was being too strict on the definition of ghosts. If we redefine them to mild hallucinations anthropomorphized by humans, typically while fearful, under large amounts of stress, or in dark conditions, then yes I do definitely think ghosts are a real phenomenon.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-09-03 at 03:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    People have anecdotal evidence everything. Incidents of "my brother's cousin's uncle's former roommate totally saw a ghost one night without a camera or other witnesses while mildly intoxicated" simply don't cut it for me.

Though you're right that I was being too strict on the definition of ghosts. If we redefine them to mild hallucinations anthropomorphized by humans, typically while fearful, under large amounts of stress, or in dark conditions, then yes I do definitely think ghosts are a real phenomenon.
    Good points. It is not something which if one believes is supernatural, you can explain or get someone else to accept as real if they have not experienced the same situation. I am referring to a situation which for the one experiencing it, it is clearly real to them. Even then, some will simply refuse to accept anything supernatural in this sense because it opens the door to the possibility of a hereafter and we really are immortal. Not to mention religious implications. To them, if science can not prove it is real, it isn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some good points. It could also be this is a subject where the actions do not have to follow the laws of physics as we do.

- - - Updated - - -

There was a user that frequently posted new discoveries in quantum physics. One of his links/posts talked about particles, and how they seemed to have a mind of their own (predict the future).

It made sense in his post >_< and I can't remember his name
    Last edited by Polybius; 2016-09-03 at 03:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    There was a user that frequently posted new discoveries in quantum physics. One of his links/posts talked about particles, and how they seemed to have a mind of their own (predict the future).

It made sense in his post >_< and I can't remember his name
    Interesting. I am sure there is more for mankind to discover.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have seen things I do not have a reasonable explanation for, they can be called ghosts, purely for absence of a word in any of the languages I know to really describe these things in any meaningful way.
    Sorry to sound glib, but it fits here... Unreasonable explanations are unreasonable...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Aliens can exist but ghosts can't..? Anyways ..Energy cannot be destroyed nor created. It transforms from one form into another.
    You need to pay for the repair bill to my face as you caused me to face palm incredibly hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I'm fairly sure that one could find some odd Quantum shenanigans if they had tried hard enough to make ghosts sound something that could occur.
    They have not and I refuse to believe there is no will in trying.

For me personally the greatest evidence against the existence of any "ghosty" stuff, is that they always seem to manifest themselves to only a fairly easy to profile group, which clearly suggest that they are more likely to be a psychological phenomenon than to be a physical one.
    Cause and effect with power of suggestion. The thing making them easy to profile, is what makes them seseptible. For example, in the OP, would a ghost be witnessed without someone repeatedly telling you it will?

- - - Updated - - -

Who is saying it is going to be discovered? My point was simply just because you do not believe something, does not mean it is true or untrue, when it comes to something science can not prove or disprove. Science can prove the moon is not made of cheese. :P
    The same way science can prove that move is not made of cheese, is the same way they can prove ghosts are not real. E know what cheese is, because it's clearly defined. We can measure its properties to determine what it is. With ghosts, none of this is possible on the most basic level. To believe in ghosts is to believe in anything. Do you believe I have the power to shrink a bridge and put it in my pocket? If not, apply the same process to ghosts and it fails before it starts.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it really isn't. Ghosts not wanting to know they exist, is a very obvious paradox.

- - - Updated - - -

You equaly don't know that it wasn't me, from the future, intentionally fucking with you. You don't know if it was a giant's fart. A lepricons hiccup. A unicorns burp. Why do you think it was a ghost?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I've written it up before as "I believe in the phenomenon KNOWN as ghosts". I believe people see unexplained apparitions, and that's it.

Weither they're spirts of the past, images due to some weird unknown scientific energy destablement, or consuming too many special breeds of Fungus I cannot say. ;P