Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    It's been a couple years now of this crap. I know back in my day in the early 90's, mothers around the world were upset with Marilyn Manson but that died out after a couple years I think?

I know i'm whining about whiners, but its getting kind of out of control. Kids in my city's schools can't wear chicago black hawk jerseys or cleveland indian shirts because its offensive lol.
    Normally it takes 4-5 years then it ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=waitwutt;42167989]
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    As opposed as the alt right screaming about executing every liberal, I suppose.
    QUOTE]
    got any video proof of anyone doing that?
    She doesn't need any proof the invisible ghost Nazis told her it was true.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    Since I work for myself (and cant be fired) I find it amusing and usually try to be as offensive and triggering as I can get away with (without actually being racist/obscene/whatever). So bring it, SJWs, it's good comedy.

I do not expect it to end soon. People want to be part of "something" (think of the 60's hippies calling themselves a "movement"). What that "something" is, does not seem to matter. This generation wants to be a part of this "pc, social justice "movement." So, I expect to last a generation, just like millenial narcissism.

Don't look on the bad side, at least you get to laugh at people for a generation until they realize their folly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Do you have a specific critique of political correctness you want to point that finger at, or are you just watching too much South Park and confusing PC Principal for a person, rather than a satire.

Blackhawks / Indians are offensive because, when most other teams are using animals - you're using a minority - which equates them with animals / sub-human. You create mascots and imagery that reduce them into cartoon caricatures:

Do you understand why that is inappropriate?

I don't believe that anyone has a right to not-be-offended, but there is a legitimate argument for not needlessly denigrating people and cultures. It's one thing if it's a racist / inappropriate joke (I believe in giving great leeway to humor), it's another if it's plastered all over your city.
    Well that image really isnt offensive as its a cartoon character with like zero negative traits (like lazy, animal-like, smelly, dumb etc.). Even if it was the worst kind of racist thing possible it would be fine as an offensive character doesn't suggest that every member of that group is like that unless its specifically suggested or said.. say like ape-like indian character with normal looking members of other races.

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyWaken View Post
    Coddling people to the point of them being permanent victims is not treating them with respect. If anything, it's disrespectful..
    Agree 100%. Except, those coddled "people" don't agree. They want that coddling, that is why we have this PC, social justice thing.

Here is some perspective: "In WWII we drafted people and sent them to Normandy, in the Cold War- we drafted people and sent them to vietnam. Nowadays we have "people" of draft age, that need "safe places" at universities with blankets to help them stay warm..."

Yeah......

10+ Year Old Account
    When people stop being complete and utter bitches about everything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a specific critique of political correctness you want to point that finger at, or are you just watching too much South Park and confusing PC Principal for a person, rather than a satire.

Blackhawks / Indians are offensive because, when most other teams are using animals - you're using a minority - which equates them with animals / sub-human. You create mascots and imagery that reduce them into cartoon caricatures:

I don't believe that anyone has a right to not-be-offended, but there is a legitimate argument for not needlessly denigrating people and cultures. It's one thing if it's a racist / inappropriate joke (I believe in giving great leeway to humor), it's another if it's plastered all over your city.
    Nice satire because nobody with a brain would ever think this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Well that image really isnt offensive as its a cartoon character with like zero negative traits (like lazy, animal-like, smelly, dumb etc.). Even if it was the worst kind of racist thing possible it would be fine as an offensive character doesn't suggest that every member of that group is like that unless its specifically suggested or said.. say like ape-like indian character with normal looking members of other races.
    It all depends on the context. Showing this picture to your close friends is one thing; showing it to a descendant of natives slaughtered by your predecessors, however, is another thing.

When someone is offended, it is a result of two actions:
    1. A person did something.
    2. Another person reacted somehow.
    You have no control over 2, but you have full control over 1, so you can, at least, remove the most obvious inappropriate actions from your life. Sure, some people will always be offended at something; but then, some people will always be assholes towards anyone, so these two extremes kind of balance each other.

I don't understand why it is so hard for some people to just think what they are saying before saying it. People like Trump are so pissed when they get criticized for their remarks, while any person with a bit of brain work can understand that those remarks are inappropriate...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It all depends on the context. Showing this picture to your close friends is one thing; showing it to a descendant of natives slaughtered by your predecessors, however, is another thing.

You have no control over 2, but you have full control over 1, so you can, at least, remove the most obvious inappropriate actions from your life. Sure, some people will always be offended at something; but then, some people will always be assholes towards anyone, so these two extremes kind of balance each other.

I don't understand why it is so hard for some people to just think what they are saying before saying it. People like Trump are so pissed when they get criticized for their remarks, while any person with a bit of brain work can understand that those remarks are inappropriate...
    It's a bit disingenuous for people to claim that PC culture today has made life intolerably restrictive because of all the things you can't say. Sure there are some things you could get away with back in the day that aren't considered appropriate anymore, but there are far more freedoms that we take for granted nowadays that people in ye olden days didn't have, since there were far more stringent and convoluted rules of behavior that they were expected to adhere to and plenty of topics that weren't considered appropriate to discuss.

Deleted

Offense is taken, not given and no one has ever died or physically hurt due to being offended. If someone is getting offended over cartoon characters, its kinda their problem and they should grow a thicker skin instead of expecting the world to revolve around their feelings. Besides, Im a firm believer that nothing can ever be offensive in comedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Offense is taken, not given and no one has ever died or physically hurt due to being offended. If someone is getting offended over cartoon characters, its kinda their problem and they should grow a thicker skin instead of expecting the world to revolve around their feelings. Besides, Im a firm believer that nothing can ever be offensive in comedy.
    Knowing that a certain person will probably take offense over something, because it is a big issue for them, why would you say that? Every social interaction is a product of actions of, at least, two people; your attempt to revoke responsibility for your actions is strange.

And literally billions people have died over being offended. Starting with global wars waged because one king was offended by the words of another, and ending with such "minor" things as suicides due to being constantly bullied for being different in whatever way.

As always, people try to simplify every problem, reduce it in a small set of absolutes. Nope, doesn't work that way!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vieve View Post
    Oh god, this reminds me so much of my mother ("Gen X") who gave me the talk about our generation being ignorant slacks and whatnot. Basically the same drivel every generation gives the one succeeding it

Every time period has it's struggles and issues but this is a bridge too far imo.
    So your mom called you an ignorant slack huh? Moms are suppose to love you even if you are ugly, hence 'a face only a mother could love' and your mother went out of her way to call you an ignorant slack? Might be something there as most mothers will decry their babies are just misunderstood even if they kill a dozen people. Maybe she knows you better than you do, Jus' sayin!

I'm sure pirates aren't offended by the buccaneers

When the same people who want to eliminate PC culture turn around and start bitching about white genocide and cultural Marxism or whatever catchphrase they read off Breitbart that week, then it's kind of hard to take them seriously. Political correctness actually benefits the alt right types far more than it hurts them, because their opponents tend to be a lot more respectful of the "rules" of polite speech than they are.

I think fundamentally we would all like to live in a society where we could communicate openly without people drawing unwarranted conclusions or making assumptions about us based on what we say, but that is never going to happen and we just have to learn how to adapt. There is no time or place in history where you didn't have to watch what you say around people or adhere to certain conventions, if anything speech is far freer these days than it ever has been.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    So your mom called you an ignorant slack huh? Moms are suppose to love you even if you are ugly, hence 'a face only a mother could love' and your mother went out of her way to call you an ignorant slack? Might be something there as most mothers will decry their babies are just misunderstood even if they kill a dozen people. Maybe she knows you better than you do, Jus' sayin!
    Maybe it's better if you don't insinuate or assume anything about the dynamic of my family. My mom lashing out is something beyond the rest of our control to put it diplomatically.

I wonder if people posting "opinions" like this actually believe in this. I would hope not. But with this crowd, you never know...
    The answer is yes, and ill say it again
    WHO ELSE IS EFFECTED? no one....thats who.

Probably when people can control themselves enough to not be dicks to other people because of things those other people cannot help.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    WHy is it that 90% of the time that I see this topic, its usually about people who get criticized for stating an opinion in a medium that is meant to invite criticism? Are conversations meant to end once you state an opinion in a medium of open debate?

The other 10% is that BS feminists/ those literal 10 college students at each college who do a thing and complain, and I totally agree with most people that they need to stop with the stupid.