Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    Legit question, I'm coming in late, have had my eye on SC casually for a while but wasn't really all that interested until I saw the Gamescon video.

Any thoughts on how much of this game is hype over it having a real chance of panning out into a AAA title? I'm not really interested in the MMO aspect, but the single player campaign in a universe that's this much of a sandbox seems almost too good to be true - almost like it's No Man's Sky but with stuff to actually do, an actual purpose and missions and such.

I mean I guess I can wait until the game eventually comes out (since I never pre-order), but I'm just wondering how much is hype versus how much is realistic (especially considering the debacle of NMS).
    Squadron 42 won't really have an open universe, I get the feeling it will be pretty heavily scripted, but will be played inside the same universe as the MMO itself. Anyone backing now won't have access to the first chapter of Squadron 42 and my honest opinion is that you would be better off waiting until the first chapter does get released in case it is a disappointment or it isn't what people expect. But, at the very least based on past experiences with Wing Commander and Privateer, it SHOULD be pretty good, hopefully better than that load of choad they call No Man's Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Squadron 42 won't really have an open universe, I get the feeling it will be pretty heavily scripted, but will be played inside the same universe as the MMO itself. Anyone backing now won't have access to the first chapter of Squadron 42 and my honest opinion is that you would be better off waiting until the first chapter does get released in case it is a disappointment or it isn't what people expect. But, at the very least based on past experiences with Wing Commander and Privateer, it SHOULD be pretty good, hopefully better than that load of choad they call No Man's Sky.
    By sandbox, I didn't quite mean like you could go anywhere in the galaxy/universe. I mean more like the mechanics of what was shown at gamescom... as in everything is seamless (or appears seamless), you walk into your ship, start it up, fly out of the base, go to another planet, land, walk out of it, and if you are playing coop, you see your buddy in the ship piloting it as you're on the ground, etc. etc.

I understand squadron 42 will be scripted, which is fine, I guess I'm referring to more the gameplay, movement, and combat mechanics, as well as the travel mechanics that in the gamescom video seemed more seemless than any game like this I've ever seen (and that's why i mentioned NMS... NMS seemed to promise this kind of thing, and promise potential multiplayer interaction, and space interaction, and of course it was all a big lie, so my question in regards to Star Citizen is how much of the gamescom video is realistic in terms of what we'll see in the actual game release, versus what is going to be an overhyped let down.)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyromelter View Post
    By sandbox, I didn't quite mean like you could go anywhere in the galaxy/universe. I mean more like the mechanics of what was shown at gamescom... as in everything is seamless (or appears seamless), you walk into your ship, start it up, fly out of the base, go to another planet, land, walk out of it, and if you are playing coop, you see your buddy in the ship piloting it as you're on the ground, etc. etc.

I understand squadron 42 will be scripted, which is fine, I guess I'm referring to more the gameplay, movement, and combat mechanics, as well as the travel mechanics that in the gamescom video seemed more seemless than any game like this I've ever seen (and that's why i mentioned NMS... NMS seemed to promise this kind of thing, and promise potential multiplayer interaction, and space interaction, and of course it was all a big lie, so my question in regards to Star Citizen is how much of the gamescom video is realistic in terms of what we'll see in the actual game release, versus what is going to be an overhyped let down.)
    I think a lot of what we were seeing there was more on the MMO side of the game. I would imagine that the single player game will still have the same free flowing persistence that the MMO has, just in a scripted setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    back on topic, for those interested:

apparently the scenes i linked above took the dev 1 day to make. now that is impressive.
    Those pre-visualisation screenies look pretty sweet.

10+ Year Old Account
    i do not believe that these are strictly pre-visualization as in the LAST VIDEO i linked the dev who made those scenes said that they are rendered in a dev build that contains that actual planet which he was playing in right before the Q&A and that the version we will get live on the PU will be better than those. but yeah the scene looks pretty sweet indeed.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Jesus christ, that fucking thing looks good.
    you nailed it
    you should go and pledge, help them making a game free of evil publishers
    i would suggest you the USD 15,000 completionist package, it's a steal

i do not believe that these are strictly pre-visualization as in the LAST VIDEO i linked the dev who made those scenes said that they are rendered in a dev build that contains that actual planet which he was playing in right before the Q&A and that the version we will get live on the PU will be better than those. but yeah the scene looks pretty sweet indeed.
    Hopefully that's true but until I can play it on my PC I'm going to remain a bit sceptical.

Damn son. If I'll be able to land on planets like that then count me in. By the time it's ready we'll probably be able to do it for real anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    Hopefully that's true but until I can play it on my PC I'm going to remain a bit sceptical.
    skepticism is good but only when it's based on facts and reality, so far for me the only thing they have shown that they have not delivered in the Baby PU is Star Marine which is slated for the next patch 2.6. but i hear you though as gamers we get burned too often, i am just going to be patient with this title and treat it like a AAA MMO and give it 5-9 years of dev time which seems to line up perfectly with boundary pushing MMO titles of the past.

Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

skepticism is good but only when it's based on facts and reality, so far for me the only thing they have shown that they have not delivered in the Baby PU is Star Marine which is slated for the next patch 2.6. but i hear you though as gamers we get burned too often, i am just going to be patient with this title and treat it like a AAA MMO and give it 5-9 years of dev time which seems to line up perfectly with boundary pushing MMO titles of the past.
    I can agree with that. I base my scepticism off what CR has done (and not done) in the past so hopeful but cautious is probably the way I view the project.
    3.0 should be a nice upgrade to the game and that's what I'm really looking forward to, jumping to other systems would be even better.

Will it be possible to play the game without doing any first person stuff? I'm interested in flying, trading, mining, exploring - I don't want run around shooting people or manning stations in someone else's ship, and I really have zero interest in any kind of PvP (my understanding is that you can play single player, yes? In your own universe?)

Quote Originally Posted by Davemetalhead View Post
    Will it be possible to play the game without doing any first person stuff? I'm interested in flying, trading, mining, exploring - I don't want run around shooting people or manning stations in someone else's ship, and I really have zero interest in any kind of PvP (my understanding is that you can play single player, yes? In your own universe?)
    You could travel the galaxy in a small ship on your own, or hire AI crew to do those extra tasks on a larger ship. As for never having to do the shooter stuff, entirely possible if all your goal is is to zip around finding shit or mining/hauling.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    You could travel the galaxy in a small ship on your own, or hire AI crew to do those extra tasks on a larger ship. As for never having to do the shooter stuff, entirely possible if all your goal is is to zip around finding shit or mining/hauling.
    please specify that all that you said are atm "promises" or "dreams" , none of it is in the game right now.

I wouldn't say its entirely possible to avoid interacting with others. Don't mislead him IMHO. The game is meant to simulate a virtual space life, so "first person stuff" is subjective. He may be able to avoid gunfights, but I'd imagine eventually trouble will come finding him, and unless he lets NPCs or other players do all the manning of weapons systems etc. he may have to do some of it. Allowing private servers was mentioned at some point, but I wouldn't expect that to happen at release if at all. It was mentioned off-hand like once and hasn't came up again since, so I doubt it has priority.

In general though, yes, if you wish to stick to hauling or something and stay along safe(r) space lanes, you can probably play relatively hassle free. But don't be surprised if you have to run from either players or NPC pirates at times.
    Last edited by stellvia; 2016-09-10 at 11:42 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    I wouldn't say its entirely possible to avoid interacting with others. Don't mislead him IMHO. The game is meant to simulate a virtual space life, so "first person stuff" is subjective. He may be able to avoid gunfights, but I'd imagine eventually trouble will come finding him, and unless he lets NPCs or other players do all the manning of weapons systems etc. he may have to do some of it. Allowing private servers was mentioned at some point, but I wouldn't expect that to happen at release if at all. It was mentioned off-hand like once and hasn't came up again since, so I doubt it has priority.

In general though, yes, if you wish to stick to hauling or something and stay along safe(r) space lanes, you can probably play relatively hassle free. But don't be surprised if you have to run from either players or NPC pirates at times.
    Wasn't PvP combat going to be relegated to PvP servers? I recall something along the lines that if you were actually pirating and became a wanted criminal, you would be automatically flagged for attack from players and NPCs, regardless of server type.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EvcRo View Post
    please specify that all that you said are atm "promises" or "dreams" , none of it is in the game right now.
    this is quite a peculiar statement as the game is still currently in Alpha phase of development, right? and as such it has not be released yet. so the plan, i.e. what they are developing the game towards, is for players to roam the galaxy and or hire player/npc crew on a multi-crew ship, or go around mining of salvaging so your statement seems rather redundant no? i am really confused as to why you felt the need to express this given the game has not been released.

back on topic:

New ATV

they show character faces and animations, the new Light and Medium Marine armors and the Drake Caterpillar ship!

New RTV

they answer backer questions about characters and character animations as well as the supporting tech that goes along with that and where they plan to move characters in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Wasn't PvP combat going to be relegated to PvP servers? I recall something along the lines that if you were actually pirating and became a wanted criminal, you would be automatically flagged for attack from players and NPCs, regardless of server type.
    last i heard Chris said the issue has to do with multi-crew ships where if you had to flag yourself what happens when only some crew members want to PvP and the others do not. so that has gone back to the drawing board i'm afraid. they may find a more elegant way to remedy those kinds of situations, but just prepare yourself for the possibility of combat. also space should be rather big once all the systems are in so you can just run and hide/evade combat if you truly wish to not engage, just have to make sure you select a ship up to the task.

It's not so much that I want to stay safe, I just don't want any PvP whatsoever - I'm more than happy to take on AI craft, and I'm happy to play a multi-player game that is co-operative only, but PvP is an instant no-buy for me (and yes I play WoW, no I don't PvP and have never needed to).

And the reason for the first person question is that I get motion sickness in pretty much any first person game. If I can see my character I'm fine, if not then I can't play for more than 20-30 minutes without feeling ill.

Ah well, it's a shame - I'm a flight simmer and some of the footage I've seen of the space flight and combat really appeals to me - the more complicated the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not so much that I want to stay safe, I just don't want any PvP whatsoever - I'm more than happy to take on AI craft, and I'm happy to play a multi-player game that is co-operative only, but PvP is an instant no-buy for me (and yes I play WoW, no I don't PvP and have never needed to).

And the reason for the first person question is that I get motion sickness in pretty much any first person game. If I can see my character I'm fine, if not then I can't play for more than 20-30 minutes without feeling ill.
    it is not as though you are without agency to play passively; you can hire other players to guard you, you can hire npcs to guard you, you can just outrun any players depending on your ship or reduce your signature and emissions so as to avoid scan/radar detection. tbh, i think it adds a lot of cat and mouse gameplay where while you are out salvaging/mining you have to plan how to avoid pirates, etc to take your goods to market, but at the end of the day if you do not feel that would be fun for you then looking at other games would be best.

as for motion sickness, with this recent patch, 2.5, they reduced the amount of headbob which alleviates the induction of motion sickness for some.

Quote Originally Posted by EvcRo View Post
    Don't presume to correct me again. Thanks.

Especially after your prolonged campaign of posting nothing but lies and bullshit in here.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-09-11 at 06:08 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Last thing I heard about PvP was it would be a slider. Cranking it towards "max PvE" would still leave a small chance of encounters with players, but the vast majority would be NPC in nature. Although even then, that doesn't mean the players you encounter would be hostile, merely that they would load onto your grid. All of that is up to change/tweaking in development though, I would imagine. Also: Sticking to safer systems/travel paths will obviously be better for you than going to a remote system and/or with a pirate base in the area, etc.

And I believe you can walk around in 3rd person, but the 1st person ambulation is actually quite improved compared to other games. Having the camera bob based on how the actual human eye/vision focuses on a point in the distance while walking rather than the old-style "bob up and down rapidly".