Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey it's meant to offset how shite his ultimate is (it's literally a big knock back gun with bad damage and terrible recoil and is only useful when surrounded by low health enemies or the incredibly low chance that there's a big hole/drop behind the group of enemies you're facing. Lucio's knock back is ten times more powerful than Roadhog's Ultimate and is available more often). Plus the fact it's really easy to avoid the hook by either out-ranging it or just moving (or dashing as tracer) to the side out of it's path. If you can't do that then you obviously need practice. In fact bringing up that point they should probably buff Roadhog's hook to have a lower CD after having grabbed someone or being able to use it on a friendly to pull them to safety. He is meant to be a tank after all but he plays more like a defense with a lot of health.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    No they can't. If Roadhog plays it correctly he gets his shot before anything can be done. You are playing bad Roadhogs. It's not up to the person being hooked, its up to the Roadhog's speed/aim. I haven't survived a Roadhog hook as a 200HP hero in quite a while (without teammate intervention). In that sense he counters his counters, which is annoying.
    I have about a 50% survival rate against Roadhogs with those heroes though, compared to <20 with all the other ones (ignoring the time my teammates help)

Roadhog really isn't difficult to out range. 20m is nothing in this game.

The 3 offensive heroes with 200hp can easily take him down without ever needing to engage him at 20m
    The 3 defensive heroes with 200hp, two are snipers, and the other can do damage without even being in LOS
    Ana: sniper
    Zen: super easy to be on fire. Sit right at the back putting discord and harmony about. I could probably blame myself for every single death from Roadhog hooks playing Zen.
    Symmetra would be on defence, and therefore she should be able to freely rmb and keep to range until it's right in your face. At which point Roadhog better land a hook or he will be melting for missing.

That really leaves Lucio and Mercy. Lucio is much harder to hook and kill than Mercy is. Last but not least Mercy is down to how well the player is at positioning themselves. If they're good you'll never land a single hook on them, but will get punished every single time you try.

Landing hooks is as much about the skill of Roadhog as it is the lack of awareness and poor positioning of the enemy.
    Swap that into a good enemy team, and you can get 66% hook accuracy, like me last night, and kill absolutely nothing. Every hook I landed Ana was there with sleep. This resulted in an almost 100% kill rate on me. From the initiator to dead in a second flat.
    Put discord in there and Reaper can 2 shot you in the body.
    Last edited by Zelendria; 2016-08-31 at 01:22 PM.

No they can't. If Roadhog plays it correctly he gets his shot before anything can be done. You are playing bad Roadhogs. It's not up to the person being hooked, its up to the Roadhog's speed/aim. I haven't survived a Roadhog hook as a 200HP hero in quite a while (without teammate intervention). In that sense he counters his counters, which is annoying.
    Actually, yes, you can.

The moment you see the hook flying towards you, you have a second to use any of those moves and dodge the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Actually, yes, you can.

The moment you see the hook flying towards you, you have a second to use any of those moves and dodge the hook.
    The original quote was directed at once you have been hooked. Yea you can pre-use abilities to avoid the hook to be sure. My frustration is the "Oh hey I'm dead for no reason" because Roadhog decided to pop around a corner 20 yrds away and throw a pick-up truck at you that's a 100% kill if hes decent with nothing you can do, unless you were looking at him and reacted appropriately. I don't mind getting headshotted by a sniper because I understand that takes a modicum of skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

The original quote was directed at once you have been hooked. Yea you can pre-use abilities to avoid the hook to be sure. My frustration is the "Oh hey I'm dead for no reason" because Roadhog decided to pop around a corner 20 yrds away and throw a pick-up truck at you that's a 100% kill if hes decent with nothing you can do, unless you were looking at him and reacted appropriately. I don't mind getting headshotted by a sniper because I understand that takes a modicum of skill.
    If you're talking about Mehman, nowhere did he say only after you've been hooked, merely that you can avoid the hook combo as them.

And if Roadhog is hooking you from an area you didn't see him in, I would say he deserved it because it either means you weren't paying attention (Since if they have a Roadhog, you should be playing around knowing you could get hooked), or somehow one of the largest characters snuck around your team.

And I'm really not sure why people are acting like hook takes absolutely no aiming, because it definitely does. You can't completely miss and still grab someone unless someone is lagging.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    If you're talking about Mehman, nowhere did he say only after you've been hooked, merely that you can avoid the hook combo as them.

And if Roadhog is hooking you from an area you didn't see him in, I would say he deserved it because it either means you weren't paying attention (Since if they have a Roadhog, you should be playing around knowing you could get hooked), or somehow one of the largest characters snuck around your team.

And I'm really not sure why people are acting like hook takes absolutely no aiming, because it definitely does. You can't completely miss and still grab someone unless someone is lagging.
    The original quote mentioned Lucio's knockback, so to me that makes the assumption that it is after the hook lands, and since he has nothing to dodge a hook while it is in transit.

My roommate plays Roadhog almost exclusively on PS4 when we play (I play PS4 and PC), and watching him (who can't aim for jack shit on normal characters) throw out hooks that basically land if they are in the middle 50% of the screen, I would have to disagree. It does require some aiming, but it is literally the easiest attack to land in the game bar none since its this bastard hitscan/projectile nonsense. And the cooldown being only 6 seconds makes it even more silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

The original quote mentioned Lucio's knockback, so to me that makes the assumption that it is after the hook lands, and since he has nothing to dodge a hook while it is in transit.

My roommate plays Roadhog almost exclusively on PS4 when we play (I play PS4 and PC), and watching him (who can't aim for jack shit on normal characters) throw out hooks that basically land if they are in the middle 50% of the screen, I would have to disagree. It does require some aiming, but it is literally the easiest attack to land in the game bar none since its this bastard hitscan/projectile nonsense. And the cooldown being only 6 seconds makes it even more silly.
    You know console have an aim assist option that cannot be turned off, correct? I'd imagine that would play into hook's accuracy too.
    http://charlieintel.com/2016/04/28/t...lity-consoles/
    http://www.gamesradar.com/overwatch-...-call-of-duty/

10+ Year Old Account
    Skill isn't really an issue in regards to anything. Genji got nerfed hard despite a "high skill ceiling". It doesn't matter how difficult it is to pull off, it's still an insanely powerful move.

Anyway, the new patch didn't seem to fix the glitches of people being hooked through and pulled through objects. At I saw one video of a hook going through a vehicle and pulling a guy over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Anyway, the new patch didn't seem to fix the glitches of people being hooked through and pulled through objects. At I saw one video of a hook going through a vehicle and pulling a guy over it.
    Are you sure they're "glitches"?

If Roadhog had line of sight to you on his client when the hook landed, then it doesn't matter where you are at the moment it pulls on your client, or where Roadhog has moved to; you're going to get pushed back to where he hooked you and then dragged to Roadhog.

None of that's a "glitch", even if it looks funky.

Skill isn't really an issue in regards to anything. Genji got nerfed hard despite a "high skill ceiling". It doesn't matter how difficult it is to pull off, it's still an insanely powerful move.

The issue was though Genji can do more while being extremely mobile still. I don't like the nerfs, but I understand something was needed.

Roadhog has a very small range, with the hook to help with that. Otherwise he'd be Roadkill, not Roadhog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Are you sure they're "glitches"?

If Roadhog had line of sight to you on his client when the hook landed, then it doesn't matter where you are at the moment it pulls on your client, or where Roadhog has moved to; you're going to get pushed back to where he hooked you and then dragged to Roadhog.

None of that's a "glitch", even if it looks funky.
    You keep saying this, and you know I love you, but clipping through the environment, both with the hook and the pull, is not intended. That's why Blizzard addressed it and claimed to have fixed it with the new patch. It's not about "being funky", it's about a mechanic that clearly isn't working properly. And I know you know that there are endless, endless videos of the hook not working as intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    You keep saying this, and you know I love you, but clipping through the environment, both with the hook and the pull, is not intended. that's why Blizzard addressed it and claimed to have fixed it with the new patch. It's not about "being funky", it's about a mechanic that clearly isn't working properly. And I know you know that there are endless, endless videos of the hook not working as intended.
    I literally do not see it. Your examples, in order;

#1; Mercy got hooked before she was out of LoS; legit hook by Roadhog.
    #2 is hard to say without the kill cam from Lucio's perspective, but it looks like he was hopping around on the other side of the payload, and Roadhog hooked him at the top of a bunny hop. The chain looks weird, but if Lucio was ACTUALLY where the chain looks, he'd have been inside or beneath the payload, not behind it, so that just looks visual.
    #3, Roadhog is moving to his right, his target is moving to HIS left (same direction), so in the brief moment after the hook lands before it registers and yanks, it looks like the architecture's in the way, but at the moment it hit, he had LoS.
    #4's messed up. No kill cam, I have to assume Reinhardt was airborne when it hit. It's also from 25 days ago, before the patch. A lot of these are, actually.
    #5 is easy; he missed Rein and D.va. And hit McCree. This is literally an example of GOOD hitboxes, because the empty air that Rein and D.va aren't actually blocking isn't getting snagged by the hook.
    #6 is the graphical glitch the patch fixed. The hook was totally legit; the issue is the path Pharah ends up taking as a result.
    #7, Roadhog hooks Lucio, but Lucio has kept moving after it registered, which is why it looks like he's pulled around the pillar. Legit hook in every way.
    #8; the enemy Roadhog CLEARLY has LoS to the Roadhog we're seeing through the eyes of. What on earth is questionable there?
    #9; despite this showing at what looks like 2-3 fps, it sure looks like Genji's dancing around the edge of the platform, and Roadhog can see the top of his head half the time. A hook just over the edge at the right time, and that's Genji hooked. If he's moved slightly back after it hits, that doesn't matter.

The way the hook is SUPPOSED to work is that, if Roadhog has LoS to the target, even if it's just a pixel of their hitbox in the projectile path of the hook, at the time the hook "lands", then the target is hooked and will get pulled to Roadhog. It doesn't matter if you hit Pharah's rocket boost or Tracer's teleport a nanosecond after, so that by the time the server registers the hook, you're 40 feet away; you'll get teleported back to where you legitimately got nailed (now that the patch is in) and then dragged to Roadhog.

Almost every case above looks like narrow catches or the like, but dragging someone who tries to duck out of LoS AFTER they're hooked is totally how it's meant to work.

The main difference is that now, you should get dragged back to where you were FIRST and then dragged to Roadhog, rather than a direct line from where you were when the server caught up to you. That's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I literally do not see it. Your examples, in order;

#1; Mercy got hooked before she was out of LoS; legit hook by Roadhog.
    So you're saying it's a legit hook when Mercy was hooked and Zarya was pulled? Okay.

#2 is hard to say without the kill cam from Lucio's perspective, but it looks like he was hopping around on the other side of the payload, and Roadhog hooked him at the top of a bunny hop. The chain looks weird, but if Lucio was ACTUALLY where the chain looks, he'd have been inside or beneath the payload, not behind it, so that just looks visual.
    Lucio isn't in line of sight at all though. Not even remotely visible. The hook goes away from where it's being aimed to go behind the payload, and then pull Lucio over it. Clearly that's not how it should work.

#3, Roadhog is moving to his right, his target is moving to HIS left (same direction), so in the brief moment after the hook lands before it registers and yanks, it looks like the architecture's in the way, but at the moment it hit, he had LoS.
    Even if he did have LoS (Which I don't see going through it frame by frame), the railing on the stairs should've stopped the Zenyatta from being pulled to the Roadhog.

#4's messed up. No kill cam, I have to assume Reinhardt was airborne when it hit. It's also from 25 days ago, before the patch. A lot of these are, actually.
    Reinhardt still got pulled from out of LoS. Unlike the Genji who was in LoS, was aimed at, and was left un-hooked. And yeah, they're from before the patch where Blizzard fixed the hook being bullshit as people have said for 5 pages, with you defending it because it was fine. Except Blizzard thought it wasn't.

#5 is easy; he missed Rein and D.va. And hit McCree. This is literally an example of GOOD hitboxes, because the empty air that Rein and D.va aren't actually blocking isn't getting snagged by the hook.
    Ah yes, the good hitbox of.. The McCree out of line of sight behind a wall instead of any of the 3 characters in line of sight. While yes, it's nice to see that Rein and D.Va didn't get hit, it's sad to see McCree getting hit.

#6 is the graphical glitch the patch fixed. The hook was totally legit; the issue is the path Pharah ends up taking as a result.
    Pharah should've been pulled to the wall and left there. She shouldn't have been pulled around the wall

#7, Roadhog hooks Lucio, but Lucio has kept moving after it registered, which is why it looks like he's pulled around the pillar. Legit hook in every way.
    That one makes sense, yeah.

#8; the enemy Roadhog CLEARLY has LoS to the Roadhog we're seeing through the eyes of. What on earth is questionable there?
    I have no idea. I agree with you here. A Roadhog got hooked and due to the knockback he himself did before the hook landed, he got pulled off the edge

#9; despite this showing at what looks like 2-3 fps, it sure looks like Genji's dancing around the edge of the platform, and Roadhog can see the top of his head half the time. A hook just over the edge at the right time, and that's Genji hooked. If he's moved slightly back after it hits, that doesn't matter.
    But still, even through the killcam, going back frame by frame, when he throws the hook he doesn't have LoS on Genji from what I could see

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    So you're saying it's a legit hook when Mercy was hooked and Zarya was pulled? Okay.
    I missed that Zarya got yanked, but you can see Zarya's head when the hook lands. Doesn't change the point, really.

Lucio isn't in line of sight at all though. Not even remotely visible. The hook goes away from where it's being aimed to go behind the payload, and then pull Lucio over it. Clearly that's not how it should work.
    If even a pixel of Lucio's hitbox peeked over the top of that payload when the hook landed, it's EXACTLY how it should work. The only difference is now, it'll pull Lucio to where he got hooked first, rather than through the payload. (I'm not responding to all of these, just those I feel a need to explain)

Even if he did have LoS (Which I don't see going through it frame by frame), the railing on the stairs should've stopped the Zenyatta from being pulled to the Roadhog.
    This one's hard because of the terrible framerate, but no, obstacles are NOT intended to block the pull. ALL that is supposed to matter is that the hook's projectile passed across the target's hitbox in Roadhog's LoS. If Zenyatta's hand is poking out around the edge, it doesn't matter if Zenyatta ducks further behind the architecture AND Roadhog does the same; the hook landed legitimately, and Zenyatta's getting yanked.

Again; the recent patch was NOT about changing how the hook lands, it was about improving Roadhog's success rate by ensuring that architecture did not screw up the pull, since as it was, it was possible to get to spots you couldn't get pulled to him from, and THAT was the bug.

Pharah should've been pulled to the wall and left there. She shouldn't have been pulled around the wall
    That is the buggy hook behaviour the recent patch was addressing. That's literally exactly the issue. That should NEVER happen. If Roadhog lands that hook, you should 100% be getting pulled to his face.

The PATH she took around the wall shouldn't happen, because THAT is weird (and what got patched), now she'd be pulled back to the window and then through to Roadhog.

You have to remember, it's a CHAIN. Not a POLE. The hook lands, you run around the corner, but you're STILL HOOKED. That chain's still gonna yank you, and turning a corner doesn't change that, because chains bend. If you want to argue realism.

- - - Updated - - -

And to be fair; there ARE glitchy bits with the hook, but they aren't THESE things, and they generally work AGAINST Roadhog.

I disagree with this guy's complaints about the hook's hitbox, but the distance they land being based on that hero's hitbox leads to weird nonsense as he demonstrates;

My prior points weren't "hooks are always fine", just that having a very tiny amount of LoS that you lose before retraction, leading to you going through/around architecture, THAT isn't a bug or glitch.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    Are there any furries that aren't horrible at video games?
    huhuh GOT EM

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pmkaboo View Post
    try playing roadhog for a day and youll see why this isnt an issue.
    This this this 1000x this. I raged this exact problem as OP several times and rage quit out of a few games too. Then I tried to actually play as him and I got slaughtered game after game. Eventually I got the hook aiming down and was able to get a few 1 shots off on a tracer or zenyatta, but even with my overpowered hook>one shot, we still lost. We would lose even with this frustrating mechanic I was using, because my only role was to soak dmg and 1 shot the low-hp characters. Roadhog, as mentioned by another poster above me, is a tank-sniper. Imagine designing a character that performed widows role, but at a closer range. You'd get Hanzo right? Great, well what if people don't want to spam and hide, but rather, have that snipe-y feel while able to survive a few hits? Great, so we have a tank-y, medium range sniper. What does the art and animation show for that concept? A rifle? A bow? No, they borrowed from Stitches the Abomination (Warcraft) and gave him a hook he uses to pull people.

Up front the 1 shotting tank seems bs, but its actually just a flushed out third sniping concept, if you were to combine soaker with sniper. Very niche. If your team consists of 6 low-hp characters that all rush into medium and close range, Roadhog will dominate, that is what he is designed for. Against a Mei? He is arguably outmatched a lot of the time (at least in my experience).

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't you getting hooked behind the wall.

This is you peeking out, getting hooked, and your PC not getting notified that you got hooked literally instantaneously, because the speed of light is still a thing.

The ONLY alternative to this would be to favour the target, meaning that nobody could ever land ANY shots on ANY mobile target, not without shooting ahead of them and hoping you correctly predicted their ping rate and that they wouldn't change direction.
    I'm surprised people miss this obvious scientific fact so much. Ping is a thing, even at microseconds of time, if Roadhog clicks chain, and the server registers it, you are hooked, whether your PC displays that or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    I still see hooks go around corners and through walls in the killcams on at least a semi-regular basis.
    Then your internet connection is bad. Let me guess you have a wireless receiver plugged in and not a hard wire?

- - - Updated - - -

This is incorrect. The kill cam is a reconstructed approximation of what the server saw.
    Endus again slamming down the hammer of accuracy. Well done.

As some one who mains the hog (quite well without tooting my own horn)

A) tracer can escape with her teleport back type thingy, it just needs perfect timing and a bit of luck latency wise. I'd also like to point out, she's incredibly harder than most champions to hook, and if she focuses you and you miss the hook your probably dead

B) you never, ever hook a reaper ,9/10 I get ruined by hooking a reaper. It doesn't one shot him and you can wraith form as soon as you get unhooked. I only ever hook reapers when I have support and they aren't facing me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    huhuh GOT EM

- - - Updated - - -

This this this 1000x this. I raged this exact problem as OP several times and rage quit out of a few games too. Then I tried to actually play as him and I got slaughtered game after game. Eventually I got the hook aiming down and was able to get a few 1 shots off on a tracer or zenyatta, but even with my overpowered hook>one shot, we still lost. We would lose even with this frustrating mechanic I was using, because my only role was to soak dmg and 1 shot the low-hp characters. Roadhog, as mentioned by another poster above me, is a tank-sniper. Imagine designing a character that performed widows role, but at a closer range. You'd get Hanzo right? Great, well what if people don't want to spam and hide, but rather, have that snipe-y feel while able to survive a few hits? Great, so we have a tank-y, medium range sniper. What does the art and animation show for that concept? A rifle? A bow? No, they borrowed from Stitches the Abomination (Warcraft) and gave him a hook he uses to pull people.

Up front the 1 shotting tank seems bs, but its actually just a flushed out third sniping concept, if you were to combine soaker with sniper. Very niche. If your team consists of 6 low-hp characters that all rush into medium and close range, Roadhog will dominate, that is what he is designed for. Against a Mei? He is arguably outmatched a lot of the time (at least in my experience).

- - - Updated - - -

I'm surprised people miss this obvious scientific fact so much. Ping is a thing, even at microseconds of time, if Roadhog clicks chain, and the server registers it, you are hooked, whether your PC displays that or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Then your internet connection is bad. Let me guess you have a wireless receiver plugged in and not a hard wire?

- - - Updated - - -

Endus again slamming down the hammer of accuracy. Well done.
    Can confirm the connection one, I play wireless and I land some hilarious hooks on my display. I can also add I land straight hooks and get moaned at for being a hacker as it goes through floors or walls.

That being said I'll also point out, even if it's only a slight gap in a door way and you hit the tiniest bit of someone's foot. It's still a hook

I think people believe that because the hook is massive that more of it should be connecting with the target to be legitimate.
    They see the edge of the hook hitbox hit the edge of their hitbox, which would look like a miss as far as the hooks model is concerned, and claim BS.

But honestly I used to play Hog loads, and now don't. Once the enemy realise even a small amount of focus everytime he has the cheek to pop a hook it kills him, he just gets worse.
    Ultimately he's a one trick pony. If whiners got his one shot mechanic nerfed, if you land hook, and actually execute the combo properly afterwards, you might as well remove him as a hero

10+ Year Old Account
    I learned today he can hook rip tires. Not sure if it was a good thing he wasted it on my tire or not, but it was disappointing either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelendria View Post
    I think people believe that because the hook is massive that more of it should be connecting with the target to be legitimate.
    They see the edge of the hook hitbox hit the edge of their hitbox, which would look like a miss as far as the hooks model is concerned, and claim BS.

But honestly I used to play Hog loads, and now don't. Once the enemy realise even a small amount of focus everytime he has the cheek to pop a hook it kills him, he just gets worse.
    Ultimately he's a one trick pony. If whiners got his one shot mechanic nerfed, if you land hook, and actually execute the combo properly afterwards, you might as well remove him as a hero
    Honestly, I think his hook's glitchy against Roadhog. Some heroes it doesn't drag as close, meaning they're too far away to melee, for some reason, and his shotgun can't one-shot them. Ana's a particular issue. That just shouldn't happen.

And like you said; he's an opportunist, and he's VERY reliant on the enemy already being confused. Focus fire will burn him, self-heal or not. Both his self-heal and his hook stun Roadhog for their duration; the hook actually stuns him ever so slightly longer than his target. All of that makes those things really not-good to use in a big firefight, generally, because you become a sitting duck. I mostly play him now on the few KotH maps where you can abuse terrain to hook people into a pit or off the map; that's a far more guaranteed kill than his shotgun, works on tanks just as well as on anyone else. And his knockback ult becomes more useful there for the same reason.

I learned today he can hook rip tires. Not sure if it was a good thing he wasted it on my tire or not, but it was disappointing either way.
    Also D.va mechs when they're exploding. Had that happen just last week, me (as Zenyatta) and Lucio both run away, past Roadhog, getting to a safe distance, Roadhog hooks the mech, yanks, BLAM, three deaths. Goddammit, Roadhog.