Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    They should have just made a normal news post and talk about the update there. people would have been less disturbed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    this actually coudl be potentialy good idea - addon download manager build into blizzard launcher - very simplistic tool just managing addons
    That so much. Blizzard should take this in their own hands, which would also allow them to just prune addons that will cause non-stop errors directly from the list of addons that can be activated. Then again, this is another thing for their off-game team which (as far as HotS interviews at gamescom went) are completely overloaded on their todo list.

Since I only use curse for addons, it would be nice if this new curse had all the same features as curse 5.0 like the system tray icon indicating there is an addon update with the little green arrow on the icon(unless I missed a setting for it somewhere which is totally possible). I dislike all the added features of the new curse as I will never use them and imho the interface in curse 6 isn't as nice as the simple addon interface in curse 5.

The old client is still linked on the website as "legacy client"
    http://clientupdate-v5.curse.com/setup.exe

Quote Originally Posted by Shudder View Post
    Oh look, an employee loves it. Shocking.
    We mods don't get paid we also don't even get stuff like this free or discounted.

Is there anyone interested in using their "social" tools? Because I just need the addon management and this new version is BLOATED with hundreds of useless things/options.

Slow, bloated and full of new features I would never use... I want a tool that updates my addons fast and that's it. All the other features in the new client I have other programs for which I trust more than curse to take care of. Sorry but I'll stick with the old version and if it stop working at some point I'll just have to do it manually.

It looks like a Steam interface full of ads and I have a paid Curse account...but not for long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IKT View Post
    The writing an update manager isn't hard, as you know it's been done several times before, the problem is the cost of bandwidth for millions of users, take DBM for example:

3.8 MB download
    3.8 MILLION downloads per MONTH
    that's 15200 GB or 15.2 TERABYTE per MONTH just for DBM, not including all the other addons they host as well.

People whinge, bitch, moan and complain but I don't see many people willing to pickup the slack for the cost of hosting all that bandwidth, and it certainly doesn't grow on trees, maybe Blizzard should? I mean it's their game...
    most addon devs use github ... basically any addon manager needs to be a end user wrapper for git.

Not a fan of this social bullshit features but if this gets them money to keep up this massive addon-database so be it. I only use it once a week or so for updating so whatever.

People are complaining because they come to a Curse web-site and see an ad for a Curse product? Get over yourselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    This client is so slooow... Work on it devs!

Your shitty addon program resets settings every week or so. That is not something I would say is a well made program.

Quote Originally Posted by AluatisDW View Post
    People are complaining because they come to a Curse web-site and see an ad for a Curse product? Get over yourselves.
    Many people are complaining because they're phasing out a working piece of software and replacing it with a slow, bloated piece of meh...
    If they weren't cutting support the old client everybody would be happy.

It's annoying but not really a big enough deal to shout this loudly about imo.

The ad's just the icing on the cake - at least I'm not too fussed about the ad itself, but it does push a few buttons.

This app is the opposite of intuitive. Not at all what I use Curse for. Seems like it's made for 14 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Stockers View Post
    Not a fan of the huge advertising... but whatever.

As for the app, works great for me, updates everything fine as per the old app. I won't use any of the other shit since it's not much relevance to me.

Addon updates are spot on though. Not sure where people are making such a huge deal out of it. Ohh wait, yes I do, typical drama queen bullshit from MMOC forum monkeys.
    Does all addon functionality go away after the 23rd? Or just the "Update All" feature?

Is there anything else that easily handles addons for free?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliok View Post
    And, I view it only as fair warning to others: because of the addition of several features, the application used nearly half a gigabyte of memory. I have plenty of RAM, but that's not the point.
    I'm running the app now, and it's using 8.5MB of memory. idk what you're talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    I tried the app last year and hated it. Uninstalled it and went back to the add-ons only client. Now I see I have no choice but to use the NEW P.O.S app? Makes me glad I am on a break from wow at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Neotokyo View Post
    I tried the app last year and hated it. Uninstalled it and went back to the add-ons only client. Now I see I have no choice but to use the NEW P.O.S app? Makes me glad I am on a break from wow at the moment.
    Well not really. Who says you HAVE to use addons in WoW? I don't.