Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

My Feelings on Legion

Now I think it's fair to say that by-and-large, WoW players tend to feel the most affinity and nostalgia towards the expansion in which they started playing. For me that expansion was Wrath of the Lich King.

Over the expansions I've always had this overwhelming feeling of "this was better in Wrath, that was better in Wrath."

Cataclysm compounded this feeling the most (since it was the expansion after the one in which I started) and continued through the Panda beta (during which I unsubscribed, pandas are stupid, shoot me) and all the way through WoD. To my mind nothing could touch those heady days of raiding Ulduar and ICC.

As an aside let me just point out that I am by no means blind to Wrath's flaws. Naxx was lazy, ToC was just horrible and the levelling experience started to vastly improve from Cataclysm onwards.

When Legion was announced I was extremely wary. It seemed as if Blizzard were doing their best to give players everything they ever wanted. Demon Hunters? Done. Illidan returning? Done. Dalaran? Done. A real feeling of class identity? Done.

I was cautiously optimistic. That optimism only grew with the pre-patch and then on Tuesday the expansion dropped during the smoothest launch of an online service that I have ever seen.

Since then (while working a full time job, mind) I've levelled my Demon Hunter to 110, got my professions almost up to max, geared up to 822 and started on Mythic dungeons. I've seen a fair chunk of what 7.0 Legion has to offer and after beating Cordana Felsong on Mythic with my friends last night I think I can say this with some confidence:

Legion is better than Wrath of The Lich King (in my opinion).

And yes, I'm saying that base Legion with no patches is better than the entire lifecycle of Wrath.

I've blasted through the content as fast as I possibly could and I don't feel like I've even scratched the surface. I mean, shit, I even care about PvP!

Aside from the odd technical issue I've had a flawless experience with Legion thus far.

Hats off to Blizzard. I think they done saved Warcraft (for now).

10+ Year Old Account
    your unreasonable hate for pandaren disqualifies your statement. have you ever tried to delve into their rich background story?

how can i take your word for granted when you hate a race so much that you can't even describe said hatred?
    From Ancient Terra the Emperor commands His Proud Sons.
    From revered Blood-stock these Warriors are made His Proud Sons.
    No fear they shall know as Adeptus Astartes, His Proud Sons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post
    your unreasonable hate for pandaren disqualifies your statement. have you ever tried to delve into their rich background story?

how can i take your word for granted when you hate a race so much that you can't even describe said hatred?
    I just didn't like the aesthetic. I regret it now because it seems I missed out on a great expansion. I've gone back and done a few MoP raids with buddies for tmog and I really wish I'd stuck around.

However, pandas are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post

While there were some highlights in MoP, the overall theme did not fit in with WOW and pandas are goofy at best. (Even their running animation is really annoying).

OT: Legion appears, so far, to be close to EXACTLY what WOW needed to rejuvenate itself and breathe new life into the game. It's not perfect, but it's a very large step in the right direction.

Time will only tell if Blizzard can avoid terrible content droughts like in WoD.
    "Listen widely to remove your doubts and be careful when speaking about the rest, and your mistakes will be few..." — Confucius.

MoP was the best objectively.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Warender - Orc Enhancement Shaman - Mal'Ganis US

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It makes me sad that people don't like MOP because they hate pandas. Amazing raids and great stroy IMO. Introduced so many new and great systems into the game (flex, C-Mode)

Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    MoP was the best objectively.

Yeah, no. It wasn't.

It wasn't as bad as many people feared, and certainly not as bad as WoD or Cata, but it certainly wasn't on par with what came before either. MoP's a divisive expansion. People loved it or despised it, and the latter camp mostly stopped playing.
    Last edited by logintime; 2016-09-04 at 01:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgarroth View Post
    And yes, I'm saying that base Legion with no patches is better than the entire lifecycle of Wrath.
    A few leveling zones and some dungeons that have been out for less than a week are better than a whole expansion? And not any expansion, but the one that's generally considered the golden age of wow? I'd call that blind overexcitement to say the least.

I do agree that Legion is delivering surprisingly well, and I really hope it ends up being a truly memorable xpac. But alas, Blizzard are infamous for breaking promises, cutting content, backtracking on storylines mid expansion without ever wrapping them up, and a collection of other dodgy achievements that make them rather unpredictable and not particularly trustworthy. The are perfectly capable of screwing up Legion beyond repair in the blink of an eye, so let's see how it all pans out.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Just as many people have rose-colored glasses for the past when they are bored or dissatisfied, many people have rose-colored glasses for the new and shiny because their memories of the past are dulled.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigodolfa View Post
    A few leveling zones and some dungeons that have been out for less than a week are better than a whole expansion? And not any expansion, but the one that's generally considered the golden age of wow? I'd call that blind overexcitement to say the least.

I do agree that Legion is delivering surprisingly well, and I really hope it ends up being a truly memorable xpac. But alas, Blizzard are infamous for breaking promises, cutting content, backtracking on storylines mid expansion without ever wrapping them up, and a collection of other dodgy achievements that make them rather unpredictable and not particularly trustworthy. The are perfectly capable of screwing up Legion beyond repair in the blink of an eye, so let's see how it all pans out.
    It's not something I say lightly.

When WoD came out I thought "Oh, this is pretty cool." This is something else. It tickles the Warcraft fan in me in a way I've not experienced since The Frozen Throne.

Also "some dungeons" is putting it lightly when you have 32 instances across 12 dungeon zones and three difficulties, with a fourth difficulty on the way.

I bought the expansion, just can't get past that absolutely insulting to gamers intelligence talent tree, you get more choices in arcade games now, and what makes blood shoot out of my eyes the talent reductions were never done to make the game better, as they don't, they are done to make some lazy Devs job easier.

How is the pvp (especially arena) is rating requirements back? When they removed it, it was the main reason I quit the game

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Coins View Post
    WotLK had that certain "this is larger than anything" feeling, making zones feel mysterious and grand, and I'm getting that experience from questing on Broken Isles too. Something that felt a bit missing in MoP, Cata and WoD.
    With Cata, the decision to allow flying at 60 (rather than 85) is a contributing factor to ruining the expansion. If you run around the Cata maps on ground mounts, it looks really epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    I bought the expansion, just can't get past that absolutely insulting to gamers intelligence talent tree, you get more choices in arcade games now, and what makes blood shoot out of my eyes the talent reductions were never done to make the game better, as they don't, they are done to make some lazy Devs job easier.
    I've played since Vanilla (can prove if it you want) and I still don't get all the complaining about the talent tree.

Some classes are overly simplistic, I agree, but going back to the old talent system wouldn't fix that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    I've played since Vanilla (can prove if it you want) and I still don't get all the complaining about the talent tree.

Some classes are overly simplistic, I agree, but going back to the old talent system wouldn't fix that.
    I must admit that I miss the experimentation that was possible with the old trees.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP was garbage, added some good things and had some decent encounters in raids, but had loads of flaws. Barely anything to do outside of raids, PvP was god awful, and the continent was too Asian for me, I liked how other expansions were pure fantasy whereas MoP just felt like a cheap mmo from China. Overall, not as good as Cata and nowhere near Wrath.

MoP was an interesting diversion from major conflicts with the Legion and the Old Gods.

Legion has been nice so far, i haven't played since 4.3.

I had MOP, played about 20 minutes and wanted to rip my eyes out so quit xD
    Tried WOD, and had the same feeling as above ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by AndromanceR View Post
    MoP was an interesting diversion from major conflicts with the Legion and the Old Gods.
    Umm the whole expansion was about an old god (y'shaarj) and his influence on Pandaria and eventually garrosh and the whole world through garrosh.

But pandas, so that doesn't count, right?

Warender - Orc Enhancement Shaman - Mal'Ganis US

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AndromanceR View Post
    You're kinda forgetting that the ultimate antagonist (the source of the Sha and the power Garrosh used) WAS an Old God. Sure the dead remains of one, but it was still heavily an Old God expansion.