Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What CAN Shaman do this expansion?

I'm leveling my Shaman alt and I'm reading horror stories every where:

-Ele DPS is low in PvE
    -has no place in World of Meleecraft PvP
    -Enh DPS seems OK but can't compete with DH's and Rogues
    -has poor survival in PvP, relying too much on maelstrom and weak self heals
    -Resto Shaman........ good lord, seems like one trick pony, designed entirely on stacked raids
    -has a shit artifact tree that is terrible for PvP. How the fuck do we weave our Artifact spell into PvP?

I'm at a loss. I'm really flexible with the specs on Shaman because they ALWAYS get fucked badly with two specs but usually there's at least one that excels in PvP or PvE.

I'm just trying to figure out what the fuck that is.....
    Thank God I didn't main Shaman this expac, sheesh!
    WoD MIA for No Flight
    ------------------------------
    MayMay

Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post

-Ele DPS is low in PvE
    -Resto Shaman........ good lord, seems like one trick pony, designed entirely on stacked raids
    -has a shit artifact tree that is terrible for PvP. How the fuck do we weave our Artifact spell into PvP?

I'm at a loss. I'm really flexible with the specs on Shaman because they ALWAYS get fucked badly with two specs but usually there's at least one that excels in PvP or PvE.

I think your opinion is shit and based on nothing substantial.
    Your thread has no purpose.

10+ Year Old Account

-Ele DPS is low in PvE

Resto Shaman will have situational advantages in raids, it has a wide toolkit. The situation is looking grim for ele at the moment but who knows what the inevitable balance patch before raiding will throw up.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    I think your opinion is shit and based on nothing substantial.
    Your thread has no purpose.
    Judging from your post history you appear to think everyones opinion on everything is shit and devote your entire time on this site to informing them of that.

evrry class/spec is shit of you ask their respective class forums for opinions.

Deleted

-Ele DPS is low in PvE

Yo, maybe i can shed some light here..
    Ilvl 840 atm, playing resto as main, 16lvl artifact weapon, done all mythics.

Sooo. Leveled as elemental, in hindsight, that was a bad move. Elemental suffers badly from sustain, dmg and selfhealing. mobs hit hard and took long to take down solo.

Elemental is in no better place once at 110 in my current ilvl, neither in dungeons(Mythics) or world questing/dailys/elite killing etc. Tested some HC dungeons just to see dps from elemental vs enhancement. and im sorry to say that its a BIG difference. at times as much as 100k (same fights tested ofc)

Enhancement seems fine, dont know what others with the same Ilvl are doing though in dungeons, but im carrying my weight. and it feels powerfull enough as of right now. BUT as i said, dont know how it will compare to ALL other classes in the same ilvl range. but those ive been in dungeons with it seems comparabe atleast. With questing/elite killing it rocks, have no problem soloing anything right now, mobs die fast and i have great sustains both healing and dps as enhancement.

Resto is as i said my mainspec, love it in mythics, right from the start even with ivl 815 which i did my first Mythic in, it was challenging but worked out well. Awesome toolkits in my arsenal and always have an option for every situation.
    Tried some Arena aswell, right now melee are a bitch, as they always are. Think pvp dmg needs to be toned down, or just wait for our pvpseason and better gear to get started.

So to sum it up:

Resto seems really sweet
    Enhancement looks good, atleast as far as ive tested
    Elemental is shit, just as in the beginning of WOD

armory not updated i think but here it is anyways:
    edit: cant post images... so my charname is kurras on bladefist alliance

Benefits:
    Bloodlust
    Being Mail
    Multiple roles
    Lightning Surge Totem
    Wind Rush Totem

Other than that (except Resto) there isn't a huge reason to bring a Shaman to the raid, unfortunaly.
    There is many more better ranged specs to bring, Enhancement is still good however.

I don't play ele atm but 810 enhance, so intermediary, but when I look at my performance in a group I don't just look at the numbers in damage meters (oh noes I'm #3 out of all the dps sometimes!) But I look at the full package. The objective of RPG's at the very core is about beating the encounter. Not beating it the fastest, not beating it in the most yolo way possible, just beat it preferably by doing the mechanics well and by keeping everyone relatively safe and steady and by playing as a team.

Every time I drop down my 5 second aoe stun I feel like a god, it sets up everything for everyone to get their groove going and it's basically a 45 second Mob-pack-delete skill. By the time the stun wears off they are close to kingdom come.

Then there's of course lust/hero and yes mages bring that too, but do you always have them? nope. And I do my part decursing, knowing full well there is a long cooldown on these skills now, and of course the speed totem and fastest interupt in the game through wind shear, keeping those casters locked down, and all in all from a PVE perspective I have nothing to complain about being the melee monsters that we are.

If DPS is your groove and that number 1 spot is what you want? Then you gotta reroll FOTM specs for the entirety of the expansion I'm afraid. But if you're looking for a solid spec in our toolkit then enhance contributes far, far more than many others while not sacrificing on the DPS front too much, if at all.
    But yeah having played some ele I feel weak, but as resto I feel pretty strong as well.

Edit: Just had to emphasize how much I feel like I am controlling the flow of battle with just this one simple skill, the bold part.
    Last edited by 7empest; 2016-09-05 at 10:22 AM.

Resto is a very desired healer for mythic raiding progression. From what I remember of beta Resto Shaman was considered one of the top healers after they got their buffs. Enh is pretty solid in PVE too and will probably still do reasonably well playing turbo cleave. Unfortunately I don't have any good news for Ele, maybe it will be so glaringly shit Blizzard will feel forced to buff it.

On top of that Shamans soak up mail gear, have probably the best AOE stun in the game, and have Stampeding roar and Bloodlust.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by 7empest View Post
    I don't play ele atm but 810 enhance, so intermediary, but when I look at my performance in a group I don't just look at the numbers in damage meters (oh noes I'm #3 out of all the dps sometimes!) But I look at the full package. The objective of RPG's at the very core is about beating the encounter. Not beating it the fastest, not beating it in the most yolo way possible, just beat it preferably by doing the mechanics well and by keeping everyone relatively safe and steady and by playing as a team.

Every time I drop down my 5 second aoe stun I feel like a god, it sets up everything for everyone to get their groove going and it's basically a 45 second Mob-pack-delete skill. By the time the stun wears off they are close to kingdom come.

Then there's of course lust/hero and yes mages bring that too, but do you always have them? nope. And I do my part decursing, knowing full well there is a long cooldown on these skills now, and of course the speed totem and fastest interupt in the game through wind shear, keeping those casters locked down, and all in all from a PVE perspective I have nothing to complain about being the melee monsters that we are.

If DPS is your groove and that number 1 spot is what you want? Then you gotta reroll FOTM specs for the entirety of the expansion I'm afraid. But if you're looking for a solid spec in our toolkit then enhance contributes far, far more than many others while not sacrificing on the DPS front too much, if at all.
    But yeah having played some ele I feel weak, but as resto I feel pretty strong as well.

Edit: Just had to emphasize how much I feel like I am controlling the flow of battle with just this one simple skill, the bold part.
    This is pretty much be, the only thing i wanted to add is, we can easily take the nr 1 spot on bosses that are singletarget, im outdpsing hunters and DHs with the same ilvl (845ish) not by much, but i AM!

i 1000% agree with feeling like a god during trash, totem stun, silence and our singletarget ability makes us so fun to play

Deleted
    Enhancement might be okay'ish, but i'm totally fucked up by how op some other melees are. Me (839 enhancer) got outdpsed on pretty much everything by a 830 monk who did 800k on some trash pulls. And the outlaw rogue dealing 100% more damage on some AOE trahs packs even with wolves up...

There are currently some melees far ahead of enhancers. And some are even worse of (Rets). So much about "Balancing" so far. Especially AOE wise there are classes that deal much more dps. And outlaw rogues are insanely op.

What CAN Shaman do this expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyzer View Post
    Benefits:
    Bloodlust
    Being Mail
    Multiple roles
    Lightning Surge Totem
    Wind Rush Totem

Other than that (except Resto) there isn't a huge reason to bring a Shaman to the raid, unfortunaly.
    There is many more better ranged specs to bring, Enhancement is still good however.
    In like 95% of all raids you can bring every class and spec and it's perfectly fine; because people make errors, don't do proper rotations or fuck up their priority list. bad dps, bad healers and bad tanks, they are everywhere. And if they suck they blame their spec.
    Last edited by verpeiler; 2016-09-05 at 11:55 AM.

Reroll or wait another expack.

Well, elemental is horrible but the other two specs are great.

Quote Originally Posted by verpeiler View Post
    In like 95% of all raids you can bring every class and spec and it's perfectly fine; because people make errors, don't do proper rotations or fuck up their priority list. bad dps, bad healers and bad tanks, they are everywhere. And if they suck they blame their spec.

Elemental needs movement. This is where the gameplay fucks up for me.

Resto is insane if played properly. I'm 8/8 (not including CoS and Arcway(not unlocked yet) Mythic and I'm having a BLAST healing. The utility is amazing, Cap totem is a life saver, Hex, ranged interrupt, etc etc. The ONLY complaint I have is we lack a nice Tank CD, but healing surge spam/spirit link easily makes up for it imo. As for raids, any serious mythic progression guild will run a Rsham, we have too much utility/raid healing to not.

Enhance is fine where it's at. Yes it's squishy as shit and AOE isn't on par with DH/Outlaw/WW, but it's fine compared to some(+ we're mail which is why we're running an Enh in my guild).

Elemental is just shit though, as everyone else has stated.

well im topping dmg in almost every fight i do that is single target and if im not toping we are only 1% or so off each other

I consistently feel like the most useful melee in my groups as Enhancement. There are some serious outlier specs, which comes as no surprise, it's the start of the xpac. I feel content, I wreck in single target even without that bananas trinket from Ash'Golm. In mythics we have essentially a free ranged interrupt on a decent CD, AoE stun also on a good CD, Hex (which will get more and more valuable as trash gets harder in Mythics) and the ability to burn priority targets.

Outliers will be nerfed in due course and that will leave us looking great.

Can anyone confirm whether the state of stormlash. I know it's intended to count as our damage but I've seen some say it still counts as other people's? Worth taking into account.

I always question why I play such a weak spec... until I see a Stormkeeper Static Overload proc.

Quote Originally Posted by faetals View Post
    Yo, maybe i can shed some light here..
    Ilvl 840 atm, playing resto as main, 16lvl artifact weapon, done all mythics.

Sooo. Leveled as elemental, in hindsight, that was a bad move. Elemental suffers badly from sustain, dmg and selfhealing. mobs hit hard and took long to take down solo.

Elemental is in no better place once at 110 in my current ilvl, neither in dungeons(Mythics) or world questing/dailys/elite killing etc. Tested some HC dungeons just to see dps from elemental vs enhancement. and im sorry to say that its a BIG difference. at times as much as 100k (same fights tested ofc)

Enhancement seems fine, dont know what others with the same Ilvl are doing though in dungeons, but im carrying my weight. and it feels powerfull enough as of right now. BUT as i said, dont know how it will compare to ALL other classes in the same ilvl range. but those ive been in dungeons with it seems comparabe atleast. With questing/elite killing it rocks, have no problem soloing anything right now, mobs die fast and i have great sustains both healing and dps as enhancement.

Resto is as i said my mainspec, love it in mythics, right from the start even with ivl 815 which i did my first Mythic in, it was challenging but worked out well. Awesome toolkits in my arsenal and always have an option for every situation.
    Tried some Arena aswell, right now melee are a bitch, as they always are. Think pvp dmg needs to be toned down, or just wait for our pvpseason and better gear to get started.

So to sum it up:

Resto seems really sweet
    Enhancement looks good, atleast as far as ive tested
    Elemental is shit, just as in the beginning of WOD

armory not updated i think but here it is anyways:
    edit: cant post images... so my charname is kurras on bladefist alliance
    Glad to hear there's some light at the end of the tunnel.
    WoD MIA for No Flight
    ------------------------------
    MayMay

Ele burst in 5 man bosses is phenomenal, i have yet to see any class with same ilvl beat ele burst. If your whole group is competitive with good opening burst you can kill mythic 1 bosses in seconds at 830-840 gear even before you fire elemental dies, but yeah trash dps is shit just like any other caster (except maybe fire mage)