Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by itsrambo View Post
    i843 mage who has run all mythic dungeons. level 16 artifact.

Patchwerk style I'm pulling 300k, movement based fights I'm about 225k.

Using mythic caged trinket
    The fuck? I'm 830 and I can't do more than 150,000 sustained. I mean.. I can burst to around 280,000.. But then I fall off extremely hard. Then again I am new to mages and I suck dick at Fire. I'm better at Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    st bosses and up to +2 rarely anyone goes above me, solid 250-300k. 2 things i find annoying:

1) if u want proper ST or proper AE, u need to swap talents and to do that just for a mythic which are currently a joke...i just stick with ST talents and do what i can on trash
    2) opener is strongest with 3x PF but not using it on trash just feels wrong, so usually i have to ask my groups to always wait almost 2 minutes before final boss.
    Seems better to default to AoE imo since that constitutes the majority of the dungeon.

With Tome of the Clear Mind costing pennies, we should start thinking in terms of respeccing to trash spec between bosses for M+.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowAwayForAReason View Post
    The fuck? I'm 830 and I can't do more than 150,000 sustained. I mean.. I can burst to around 280,000.. But then I fall off extremely hard. Then again I am new to mages and I suck dick at Fire. I'm better at Frost.
    hmm i am 828 right now and my peak at burst is around 350k the n i fall to 180k to 225k. ( i am new to mage too so if there is a lot of movement on the fight my damage start sucking but that is only because i am not used to casting while moving)

Deleted
    Loving fire, not sure why many people are having problems remember that higher ilvl =/= more damage you pretty much want crit as the heavy stat on as much gear as humanely possible

Which golden trait did you get first? And what is your rotation? Squeezing in the extra pyro into your combustion burst makes a hell of a difference in burst dps.

Your sustain will depend on a number of things. Amount of targets available, talents, RoP usage etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pies1 View Post
    Seems better to default to AoE imo since that constitutes the majority of the dungeon.
    For now yes, but in mythic+ your single target dps is also going to matter in how successful you will be.

60-61 seconds fight on pure single target, ilvl 839.2, no third relic (crit 53%, mastery 15%, haste 13%, versatility 1%, intellect 24 892), no flask, no food, no potions, with heroism, talents: pyromaniac, rune of power, flame on, unstable magic, kindling (irrelevant, used only 1 combu)

result: 287k dps
    combustion was about to come off cooldown

Well, been doing my first Mythics on my Mage, and they're absolutely able to do ridiculous damage. So many cooldowns and crit procs to use, as well as Living Bomb, while aoe talents such as Conflagration are basically as good single target. Not even gna throw out numbers here, but a geared Fire Mage, hell even a shit geared one like me can compete in Mythics extremely well. There's actually so much shitposting and misinformation in this thread it's insane.

That nonsense about about choosing aoe or ST talents. Bullshit. Take Conflag, RoP, Flame On, Living Bomb and Cinderstorm, and wreck shit ST or AoE. There really is no choice at all right now, or need to change. Crying about not being able to use Phoenix Flames because you need 3 charges on bosses? Then time it right ffs. There's lots of time between bosses, and you can cycle through all cooldowns including Combustion, Flame on, Rune of Power for 50% dmg, and Phoenix Flames etc to do HUGE trash damage that competes with and destroys most classes.

I've played it myself, i've seen high level Mythic plus Fire Mages DESTROY most classes single target and aoe, and it's because if you play them even remotely well, they do. Like, if you do shit dps as a Fire Mage and feel like coming into this threat to post how bad it is, don't. It's you, and you should improve or gear up before saying anything. There's rarely been such a round spec in WoW imo. Fire has sustain and burst St, Mega aoe burst and sustain. You have mage staples like blink, ice Block, etc, and you have tons of instants to do damage at will, with nice cooldowns. It's fantastic.

Just stop this absolute nonsense about Fire being underwhelming. It's hugely entertaining to play, and gives awesome results. There's a absolutely nothing to complain about. The other specs should be the ones asking for improvement. Not Fire.

Also, a tip for Fire Mages here because i've seen people say they do the opposite. Don't use Flamestrike, at all, unless there's about 10 targets to hit. Pyro Blast is way, way better unless the mobs are about to die. This is because of double ignite damage, which spreads, and the fact Flamestrike can't proc heating up. That's loads of damage in the long run. Just let ignite do it's damage. This is assuming you spec Living Bomb, which you should be. If you were using Flame Patch you would use it on 3-4 or more targets, but again, don't do that.
    Last edited by Sarkol; 2016-09-05 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkol View Post
    Take Conflag, RoP, Flame On, Living Bomb and Cinderstorm, and wreck shit ST or AoE. There really is no choice at all right now, or need to change. Crying about not being able to use Phoenix Flames because you need 3 charges on bosses? Then time it right ffs. There's lots of time between bosses, and you can cycle through all cooldowns including Combustion, Flame on, Rune of Power for 50% dmg, and Phoenix Flames etc to do HUGE trash damage that competes with and destroys most classes.
    Having issues gearing up, about 8/10 items just don't give me any crit and I have to solo queue which takes 1 hour or so until I get to join one, have yet to get gear (hopefully with the help of my guild) to even do Heroics but once I get to HC and Mythic I will def try this instead of what I use now.

Well, been doing my first Mythics on my Mage, and they're absolutely able to do ridiculous damage. So many cooldowns and crit procs to use, as well as Living Bomb, while aoe talents such as Conflagration are basically as good single target. Not even gna throw out numbers here, but a geared Fire Mage, hell even a shit geared one like me can compete in Mythics extremely well. There's actually so much shitposting and misinformation in this thread it's insane.

That nonsense about about choosing aoe or ST talents. Bullshit. Take Conflag, RoP, Flame On, Living Bomb and Cinderstorm, and wreck shit ST or AoE. There really is no choice at all right now, or need to change. Crying about not being able to use Phoenix Flames because you need 3 charges on bosses? Then time it right ffs. There's lots of time between bosses, and you can cycle through all cooldowns including Combustion, Flame on, Rune of Power for 50% dmg, and Phoenix Flames etc to do HUGE trash damage that competes with and destroys most classes.

I've played it myself, i've seen high level Mythic plus Fire Mages DESTROY most classes single target and aoe, and it's because if you play them even remotely well, they do. Like, if you do shit dps as a Fire Mage and feel like coming into this threat to post how bad it is, don't. It's you, and you should improve or gear up before saying anything. There's rarely been such a round spec in WoW imo. Fire has sustain and burst St, Mega aoe burst and sustain. You have mage staples like blink, ice Block, etc, and you have tons of instants to do damage at will, with nice cooldowns. It's fantastic.

Just stop this absolute nonsense about Fire being underwhelming. It's hugely entertaining to play, and gives awesome results. There's a absolutely nothing to complain about. The other specs should be the ones asking for improvement. Not Fire.

Also, a tip for Fire Mages here because i've seen people say they do the opposite. Don't use Flamestrike, at all, unless there's about 10 targets to hit. Pyro Blast is way, way better unless the mobs are about to die. This is because of double ignite damage, which spreads, and the fact Flamestrike can't proc heating up. That's loads of damage in the long run. Just let ignite do it's damage. This is assuming you spec Living Bomb, which you should be. If you were using Flame Patch you would use it on 3-4 or more targets, but again, don't do that.
    No One is complaining? We came here to have a discussion, not shitpost and we have people giving valuable information and data for others to learn from. Sorting through your for whatever reason, angry, elitist post; you do make some good points. Taking those talents you mentioned definitely gives you good single target and good AoE. When I initially made my post I think I was around 818 ish ilvl or 820 or something like that and I also went for the AoE gold trait first instead of PI. after a few days I realized how powerful the PI trait was for single target, thanks to people in the thread. I realized how big a difference the gear makes , thanks to many people in the thread. Now sitting at 834 ilvl. The biggest thing I realized is how utterly broken some of those trinkets are, thanks to people in the thread. Also thanks for the tip about not using Flamestrike. I'm sure a lot of people saw that you are only supposed to use it at 10+ targets, from the altered-time thread, but it is good to have it reiterated and I'm sure it will help a lot of people

Deleted
    Fire Mages DESTROY most classes single target and aoe
    You misunderstand how mages that minmax think. They don't want to be better than most classes. They want to be at least in the top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Which golden trait did you get first? And what is your rotation? Squeezing in the extra pyro into your combustion burst makes a hell of a difference in burst dps.

Your sustain will depend on a number of things. Amount of targets available, talents, RoP usage etc.

- - - Updated - - -

For now yes, but in mythic+ your single target dps is also going to matter in how successful you will be.
    I've been following this for my weapon

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...tes-Branch.png

On opening pulls: Fireball (Since no one does pull timers for me to pre-cast Pyroblast) - Combustion while fireball is almost done casting - Fireblast - Pyroblast - Fireblast - Pyroblast - Flame on - Fireblast - Pyroblast - Fireblast - Pyroblast - Phoenix - Pyroblast - Phoenix - Pyroblast.. Around this time is when combustion runs out. I was actually thinking about making a cast sequence with this so I only have to spam 1 button.

Then I simply fireball until I get heating up, then if I have a charge of Fireblast, I will use to for the instant Pyroblast.. That's pretty much my rotation until Combustion comes back up.. Like if I see combustion coming off cool down, I make sure Flame On is ready to use and I have at least 2 Fireblasts and 2 Phoenix ready.. Although the bosses die very fast so there really isn't much time for Phoenix to recharge that quickly I find..

I have actually been feeding both Fire and Frost AP. My Frost weapon (Since I want to main Frost) is 15 and my Fire weapon is 14. As Frost, I can easily sustain 180,000 to 210,000 DPS.. Depending on how my RNG is with FoF and BF procs are.. Frost just doesn't have the burst fire has..
    Last edited by ThrowAwayForAReason; 2016-09-05 at 02:48 PM.

Got up to 849 today and seeing big improvement with 3rd relic slot. Doing 380k on single target bosses.

50% crit
    10% haste
    14% mastery
    7% vers

Mythic caged trinket
    Last edited by itsrambo; 2016-09-05 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanaku View Post
    No One is complaining? We came here to have a discussion, not shitpost and we have people giving valuable information and data for others to learn from. Sorting through your for whatever reason, angry, elitist post; you do make some good points. Taking those talents you mentioned definitely gives you good single target and good AoE. When I initially made my post I think I was around 818 ish ilvl or 820 or something like that and I also went for the AoE gold trait first instead of PI. after a few days I realized how powerful the PI trait was for single target, thanks to people in the thread. I realized how big a difference the gear makes , thanks to many people in the thread. Now sitting at 834 ilvl. The biggest thing I realized is how utterly broken some of those trinkets are, thanks to people in the thread. Also thanks for the tip about not using Flamestrike. I'm sure a lot of people saw that you are only supposed to use it at 10+ targets, from the altered-time thread, but it is good to have it reiterated and I'm sure it will help a lot of people
    I don't think i was being elitist. I'm just a bit allergic to the attitude of some people. Maybe that's ironic. Anyway, i'm sure you've got some good advice, but there's also a lot of unnecessary doomsaying for a spec which is actually really good. Besides it being the first week when everyone has poor gear. Not too much else to say other than Fire is top tier for basically everything. Enjoy it people, it's a blast. Get's stronger as the gear increases too.

Quick tip for aoe - flamestrike+flame patch destroys living bomb at bursting down the usual 4-5 mob packs in dungeons. That's assuming RoP+FO usage. If coupled with combustion and aoe trinkets, it destroys pretty much every spec in the game. Drawback - it will not be available for every pack.
    In high level M+ with packs living much longer, living bomb will probably catch up.

i dont sewe the problem, if there are enough targets you should be 1st or 2nd.. but you cant really compete with hunters or dh at aoe. Single target at 832 i lvl i get 500-600k burst .. its all good.

As a shadowpriest with a mage alt I can safely say you have absolutely nothing to complain about, in dungeons mages are really solid. Due to the crazy opening burst and the short length of fights there are very few classes that can compete on single target, and on aoe you do very well when you pop cooldowns. Just don't save combustion and rune of power for bosses only, use them on trash as well. Some trash packs where you have nothing up you won't be that high but you'll be nr 1 when you pop cooldowns unless it's something that dies in 5 sec or the other top aoe classes also pop all their cooldowns.

I've been following this for my weapon

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...tes-Branch.png

On opening pulls: Fireball (Since no one does pull timers for me to pre-cast Pyroblast) - Combustion while fireball is almost done casting - Fireblast - Pyroblast - Fireblast - Pyroblast - Flame on - Fireblast - Pyroblast - Fireblast - Pyroblast - Phoenix - Pyroblast - Phoenix - Pyroblast.. Around this time is when combustion runs out. I was actually thinking about making a cast sequence with this so I only have to spam 1 button.

Then I simply fireball until I get heating up, then if I have a charge of Fireblast, I will use to for the instant Pyroblast.. That's pretty much my rotation until Combustion comes back up.. Like if I see combustion coming off cool down, I make sure Flame On is ready to use and I have at least 2 Fireblasts and 2 Phoenix ready.. Although the bosses die very fast so there really isn't much time for Phoenix to recharge that quickly I find..

I have actually been feeding both Fire and Frost AP. My Frost weapon (Since I want to main Frost) is 15 and my Fire weapon is 14. As Frost, I can easily sustain 180,000 to 210,000 DPS.. Depending on how my RNG is with FoF and BF procs are.. Frost just doesn't have the burst fire has..
    Going pi first means your single target dps will be better than aoe. Also you don't mention RoP. That is massive dmg lost right there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    My fire mage is sitting at 46% crit at ilvl 835 and I've topped every single target encounter thus far, bursting 500k+ which is a lot higher than what I've seen other classes do.
    If the boss has adds that comes in on burst phase then it's GG since 220k+ rolling ignite on 3 other mobs just crushes the meters.

Small weak packs aren't our strongsuit, and that's fine, leave that to melee. We don't have to be the best at everything.
    Overall I feel that fire is very strong atm.
    This is me, Im always topping meters ST and AoE (unless theres a havoc DH, they always win AoE), and i usually just run Conflag, RoP, UM, and Kindling for dungeons
    Ive been on top from 825+, sitting at 840 now

833 ilvl. I've done every mythic, I do crazy burst then drop off into an abyss for the rest of the fight unless the fights long enough for a second round of CDs, which they never are. It's kind annoying. If I don't have cooldowns I feel like I'm hitting shit with a wet noodle.

For trash, AOE is amazing. However I feel like I have to do so much work to set it up compared to other classes, I don't bother half the time unless we pulled too much.

edit: that being said the I was the only cloth in our group of plate, and the warrior tank and unholy DK both have legendaries. Still though, frustrating. I don't expect to beat them but I feel like I should be doing more.
    Last edited by Kaelikthemage; 2016-09-06 at 04:33 AM.