Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Halp! im being oppressed by female biology!

but yeah. Always thought "just eat less". Well...after hitting a certain point myself in eating less I just cant drop it neaaaarly as fast just from eating less. SO...I sympathize.

So exercise at some point is necessary. However, this isnt really easily done by people with joint issues, which is where my issue with this ruling comes in... I suppose it depends on how much weight is demanded to be lost and if the people involved just start eating less or have been forwhile and now their body got used to it.
    I know that like, water aerobics can help, but I also know people whose joints are so damaged that getting out of the pool would be a serious issue due to the pain. In the pool is fine, but the logistics is an issue.

I'm not sure what the solution is. I do think, though, that denying people who desperately need to be physically active that activity is counter productive.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Are they going to impose this ban on people who have dangerous hobbies, like sports?

10+ Year Old Account
    Halp! im being oppressed by female biology!

but yeah. Always thought "just eat less". Well...after hitting a certain point myself in eating less I just cant drop it neaaaarly as fast just from eating less. SO...I sympathize.

So exercise at some point is necessary. However, this isnt really easily done by people with joint issues, which is where my issue with this ruling comes in... I suppose it depends on how much weight is demanded to be lost and if the people involved just start eating less or have been forwhile and now their body got used to it.
    We are not talking about people consuming 2000 calories here, we are talking about people that consume 4000-6000 calories here.

Diet alone can cut quite a portion of their weight already nut cutting their intake to around 1800.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they're over a certain weight and require, for example knee surgery, there is really no fucking point. They're just going to blow out their knee again anyway. I can definitely get behind this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Nah, you need to stop being a fat phobic sack of crap.

You should also learn something about surgery. Recovery time depends on the person. I've known fat people who recover quickly and skinny people who took forever. And yes, for similar surgeries.

Perhaps excise some of the fat in your brain.

infracted - minor flaming
    Your anecdotes aside: fat people recover from surgery slower on average and get worse results from said surgeries.

And again, it's harder to operate on fat people.

- - - Updated - - -

heh, think my body got used to operating at 1200-1300 calories. Been the same weight forever, so Im at the point of needing to introduce exercise. I cant really eat below 1200 because every doctor ever told me that 1200 is the bare minimum I should eat anyways...

Is that a thing? where your body adjusts to a certain calorie intake after losing X amount of pounds?
    All other things being equal, your body uses less calories keeping itself alive the less you weigh. Remember, thermoregulation is a significant source of caloric expenditure. This also means that the fatter you get, the more you have to eat to get even fatter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

but i thought all them fat chicks said weight has nothing to do with health?

Quote Originally Posted by Poppen View Post
    but i thought all them fat chicks said weight has nothing to do with health?
    They were speaking from feels not reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    what part of "and other factors" didnt you understand?
    The part where you don't even attempt to address them in any meaningful way, and instead seemingly take the position that all fat people have no control over their weight.

I'm all for anything that gets people off their asses, decreasing their high intakes of sugar and fats, and makes them lose weight and get healthier. Obesity is putting a huge strain (no pun intended) on medical systems around the world. As someone who works in the medical field, I'm getting sick and tired of dealing with at least 50% of my daily exams involving some huge fatass whose entire problem can be traced back to the fact that they are morbidly obese and lazy as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I'm not sure what the solution is. I do think, though, that denying people who desperately need to be physically active that activity is counter productive.
    Ideally every person should have every kind of care they need. The issue here is allocation of limited resources. Doing a procedure like these for people who show no willingness to change their lifestyle that caused the issue in the first place is not a good use of limited resources. You can lose weight just by eating fewer calories. Sure, that alone becomes harder to do at a point, but it is an important first step and you absolutely can lose some weight doing that. There also isn't going to be a blanket ban.

I think that's fair. Show us you're willing to maintain a life style that will prevent you from needing these surgeries again, and we'll pay for it

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    They were speaking from feels not reality.

- - - Updated - - -

The part where you don't even attempt to address them in any meaningful way, and instead seemingly take the position that all fat people have no control over their weight.
    Nice job putting words into my mouth, hope it makes you feel all big and tough.
    I never once said that.

I said there factors into overweight, other than lack of self control and eating too much.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Nice job putting words into my mouth, hope it makes you feel all big and tough.
    I never once said that.

I said there factors into overweight, other than lack of self control and eating too much.
    What do you think that means? It's not putting words in your mouth when you say something that means the same thing. Remember what you said:

eating disorders.
    there are factors into someone being over weight then just eating a lot of food and sitting on their butt all day.
    That's not addressing those factors in any meaningful way. That's taking the position that fat people aren't in control of their weight. And it's horse shit.

Are there things that make maintaining weight harder for some people? Yes, but it's still doable. Which is the whole point. Slow metabolism, depression, and low leptin levels are all big factors. That doesn't mean you can't pre-portion meals, not eat every time you're hungry, and most can exercise. Some kids also get screwed by their parents, and that's sad, because once you are fat it's going to be much harder to maintain healthy weight. But that's the key. Harder, not impossible.

By the way, it doesn't make me feel big and tough, it makes me feel exasperated.

what part of "and other factors" didnt you understand?
    This isn't an actual physical explanation. You can't just wave your hands and say, "and other factors".

Quote Originally Posted by MissMin View Post
    As free healthcare systems struggle with the increasing number of obese people, changes need to be made. What are the alternatives?
    If free healthcare systems are struggling, then the really expensive ones such as the US should be crashing down.

The NHS costs each UK taxpayer about 2/3rds of what the US taxpayer pays for government healthcare. And people who work and pay taxes in the US mostly don't get government healthcare, but have to pay again for insurance (or have their wages reduced)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Retailer View Post
    The NHS costs each UK taxpayer about 2/3rds of what the US taxpayer pays for government healthcare. And people who work and pay taxes in the US mostly don't get government healthcare, but have to pay again for insurance (or have their wages reduced)
    So, US people pay more towards government healthcare, but not everyone is entitled in using it (because many people have to get private health insurance instead).

That is why the US one has so much more resource.

The equivalent would be in UK, everyone still has to pay for it, but only the poor get access to it, it isn't going to go down very well for most people. Most people (especially those not entitled to it) would rather there are no free healthcare at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    So, US people pay more towards government healthcare, but not everyone is entitled in using it (because many people have to get private health insurance instead).
    Yes. About 28 % of the population is entitled to some government healthcare system. Most of the rest are on some employment or private insurance scheme. Many are under-insured, and some people have no insurance at all.

The US spends about $ 4200 per year per citizen on government healthcare. And about 4600 per citizen per year on private healthcare, for a total expenditure of just under $ 9000 per person. The UK spends just under 2900 $ per brit on government healthcare for 100 % of the population, and about 500 $ per person on additional private medical expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    That is why the US one has so much more resource.
    I am not sure I'd put it like that. The UK gets better results.

Undesirables denied care due to limited resources? Gosh, NO ONE warned you this would happen /s

There is very little to nothing keeping this philosophy from applying to the elderly or perhaps any group that made bad decisions in their lifetime.

And leftists will graduate from "you fukin conspiracy theorist" to "well of course we want this, who told you otherwise?".

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I like Japans approach to overweight people. Specifically because they actually do things to help you lose weight. No surgeries isn't exactly helping.
    Unless you are a Sumo wrestler?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredibale View Post
    Undesirables denied care due to limited resources? Gosh, NO ONE warned you this would happen /s

There is very little to nothing keeping this philosophy from applying to the elderly or perhaps any group that made bad decisions in their lifetime.

And leftists will graduate from "you fukin conspiracy theorist" to "well of course we want this, who told you otherwise?".
    Nationalised healthcare in the UK is supported by all political parties, left and right.

Deleted
    heh, think my body got used to operating at 1200-1300 calories. Been the same weight forever, so Im at the point of needing to introduce exercise. I cant really eat below 1200 because every doctor ever told me that 1200 is the bare minimum I should eat anyways...

Is that a thing? where your body adjusts to a certain calorie intake after losing X amount of pounds?
    a typical male need about 2,500Kcal, you body is probebly in "highest alert to prevent starvation" and try to suck out the last calories of every little bite of food you eat and do not burn calories on unnecessary things like building bigger muscles.

My amateur proposal eat a bit more and start to do moderate regular physical exercise.