Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I came here curious as I'm certainly not keeping up with a couple of specs such as Unholy DK, however I've seen a few people here listing 50%+ crit with similar ilvls whilst I sit at 42% at 838... I think as we get properly geared over the next two weeks and people pass the seemingly critical hurdle of 50% crit there'll be more satisfaction.

One legitimate question I do have, are people burning Phoenix on trash? Furthermore are you using it as a part of your opening during combustion or just after it?

Fire has historically been a bit middle of the road in first tiers. I dont think this tier is any different. I have been seeing people pull some crazy numbers with mastery builds instead of crit builds though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Curnivore View Post
    You misunderstand how mages that minmax think. They don't want to be better than most classes. They want to be at least in the top 3.
    It's because top3 will contain 90% of players...

Deleted
    I've been a bit slow with the gearing due to work and limited playtime.

So I will call upon my fellow mags for some talent advise for the different dungeons. I'm thinking there will be variations from dungeon with 90 and 100 talents. Perhaps others.

I think the first 5 tiers are pretty much set for all dungeons.

15: Conflagration (will Pyromaniac be usefull in some dungeons?)
    30: Shimmer
    45: Rune of Power
    60: Flame On (dunno if blaswave could be a thing on some mass AOE dungeons)
    75: Ice Floes

90: Living Bomb/Unstable Magic/Flame Patch
    Living Bomb:
    For the most part i've been using Living Bomb, but it seems rather lackluster when there are only 1-3 enemies. How many enemies should there actuelly be for it to even be worth casting Living Bomb?

Unstable Magic:
    For dungeons without much AOE Unstable Magic might be better. At which number of enemies will Unstable Magic be better than living bomb? There might be dungeons where you are almost exclusively pulling 2-3 mobs and UM might win out.

Flame Patch:
    Doesn't seem all that useful as living bomb would probably always win out in AOE situations.

Level 100: Kindling/Cinderstorm/Meteor

Cinderstorm:
    I've mostly been using the mage version of barrage, and a lot of the time it does nice dmg when fighting packs of mobs. When fighting bosses not that much seems to hit however, and I wonder if its even worth casting unless you are right in the bosses face.

Kindling:
    I tried it once thinking more combustions could outshine Cinderstorm. It seemed like a bad choice. I never seemed to use combustion much between bosses anyway fearing that it would be rdy for the boss. Granted this was in eye of azshara so probably the worst dungoen not to use cinderstorm.

Meteor:
    I don't know when this would be a good choice.

Looking forward to some specific dungon talent advise if people have some ideas andexpirience with what works best.

Deleted
    I was testing UM over Living Bomb yesterday and i like it quite a lot. Also, cinderstorm is a bit iffy to use without pulling half the dungeon, so i took Kindling for more thrash combustions.

I just dont see LB being worth casting without 5+ mobs present, which is like 60% of the dungeon. Plus they actually have to blow up in each others face. A lot of mobs spread on their own (lots of thrash in Thicket, wolfs in halls).

Just Fireball and watch em burn
    Last edited by mmocf07314a97b; 2016-09-06 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heretias View Post
    I just dont see LB being worth casting without 5+ mobs present
    Living Bomb is worth casting on just 2 mobs. It hits really hard. It's also exponential damage on big picks, its nice.

Your first problem is playing Arcane.
    Go fire, scrub. Seriously, Fire is better. Why would you play the more fun spec just to be worse at the game?
    I understand everyone wants to have fun in the game, but what's fun about sucking?

You don't even have to min/max, just play the better, more competitive spec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiivey View Post
    Go fire, scrub. Seriously, Fire is better. Why would you play the more fun spec just to be worse at the game?
    I understand everyone wants to have fun in the game, but what's fun about sucking?

Who the fuck are you talking too? And what is all this elitist bullshit?

I feel like I just suck, been playing my mage for a long time now always did fine, I cant stand Rune of Power I am pretty terrible with it wish IF was stronger for my sake.

I am ilvl829 with 45% crit, 825oakhearts and voidsight. I can barely pull off 150k by the end of a fight (using Incanters flow because I just cant do fucking RoP) not to mention no one wants me in a dungeon cause my AoE is average at best if im willing to switching around a talent or two.

I hate having to front load everything just to have decent results fireball might as well heal mobs I don't want to main swap cause iv been playing mage for a long time but I suck and just want to play something that doesn't depend on perfect burst windows

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barcasaur View Post
    I feel like I just suck, been playing my mage for a long time now always did fine, I cant stand Rune of Power I am pretty terrible with it wish IF was stronger for my sake.

I am ilvl829 with 45% crit, 825oakhearts and voidsight. I can barely pull off 150k by the end of a fight (using Incanters flow because I just cant do fucking RoP) not to mention no one wants me in a dungeon cause my AoE is average at best if im willing to switching around a talent or two.

I hate having to front load everything just to have decent results fireball might as well heal mobs I don't want to main swap cause iv been playing mage for a long time but I suck and just want to play something that doesn't depend on perfect burst windows
    Whats the issue with RoP? Just cast it, use combustion and do your FB/Pyro rotation. Use extra charges between Combustion uses. Also dont forget to uae it on trash

Just practice a bit with RoP , you-ll get used to it. I was anti RoP too , and went with Incanter s Flow , but then i went a few dungeons with RoP and now it feels much more easy to manage it , not to mention the damage increase,especially in your combustion phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Tataie View Post
    Just practice a bit with RoP , you-ll get used to it. I was anti RoP too , and went with Incanter s Flow , but then i went a few dungeons with RoP and now it feels much more easy to manage it , not to mention the damage increase,especially in your combustion phase.
    For me too. Hated it when i first saw it. Still don't like it but i got used to it. Hoping for a IF buff though.

you're not confined to the graphic either, its area of effect is a little bigger than the visual design. not that standing still for 8 seconds is hard. definitely worth the short term dmg boosts.

I was pretty crap at using it to begin with. (Boss pulls only) I'm still forgetting here and there but the overall gain is huge and becoming a natural part of trash rotation

Fire relies a lot on specific abilities and ability combinations to do damage. If you're lazy and don't manage your cooldowns well, your DPS will be pretty bad. If you stack cooldowns nicely and get maximum uses out of them, your DPS will be great.

For trash, this can be quite a challenging feat to accomplish. Since it's hard to predict the exact timeline, maximizing Combustion and RoP usage is difficult, but that shouldn't stop you from trying. I found aggressive use of CDs on trash to work fine, as long as you still get to use them on the boss. It helps to know which bosses will stay alive for 2 Combustions - for those, you really want to have it off CD when you pull. But for bosses where you only get in 1 Combustion anyway, feel free to blow your load on trash and have Combustion come back up sometime during the boss fight.

Of course, always plan ahead as best you can. Mechanics etc. do matter for maximizing DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Barcasaur View Post

The best way to get used to using RoP imo is to do a complete 180 from what you are currently doing. Make a weak Aura so you can see it better, and cast that thing on CD. Dont worry about the charges, just use it on CD. Once you get the timing between the trash and the boss , and the muscle memory in your head, then you can start pulling back on the RoP usage, in order to have it when approaching a boss. Same goes with Combustion really

Deleted
    Done all mythic dungeons and heroics.

On trash normally last deeps, but when I pop combustion n use my CD's which u should do often it's only a god damn 2 min CD I'm the one laughing leaving them in the meters by a mile

On bosses I find fire very competitive normally top if not very close

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiivey View Post

Why are you talking when you don't have a single clue how good Arcane is? Are you another sheep who just follows the herd without actually putting a thought in yourself?

Arcane is amazing for dungeons, I have been the top damage in almost every single dungeon I have been, and this includes ~15 heroics and 8 mythics. Mark of Aluneth > Shimmer into RoP > AP >AE spam and you are doing 1m+ dps easily even on 4-5 targets. And the ST isn't even that bad, if you come to the boss wtih 4 AC, as you most probably will, you can just lay down RoP and start blasting away, with an average AM procs, you can last for at least 20-30 seconds before having to Evocate.

With all the people overhyping fire like no tomorrow, Arcane has gone under the radar. By the time your Ignites have started spreading and doing actual damage, Arcane has already exploded the MoA and has casted 5-6 AEs doing a gorilion damage.

So far only demon hunters and good MM hunters have given me trouble (in which I mean we are equal in damage), everything else is far and away from the top. I guess you can say I have only stumbled upon bad players, and sure most of the time it has probably been that, but you can't tell me that out of the 20+ dungeons I've done, there hasn't been a single good Fire mage, considering how popular it is.

/end rant

Quote Originally Posted by TheTempest View Post
    Why are you talking when you don't have a single clue how good Arcane is? Are you another sheep who just follows the herd without actually putting a thought in yourself?

Arcane is amazing for dungeons, I have been the top damage in almost every single dungeon I have been, and this includes ~15 heroics and 8 mythics. Mark of Aluneth > Shimmer into RoP > AP >AE spam and you are doing 1m+ dps easily even on 4-5 targets. And the ST isn't even that bad, if you come to the boss wtih 4 AC, as you most probably will, you can just lay down RoP and start blasting away, with an average AM procs, you can last for at least 20-30 seconds before having to Evocate.

With all the people overhyping fire like no tomorrow, Arcane has gone under the radar. By the time your Ignites have started spreading and doing actual damage, Arcane has already exploded the MoA and has casted 5-6 AEs doing a gorilion damage.

So far only demon hunters and good MM hunters have given me trouble (in which I mean we are equal in damage), everything else is far and away from the top. I guess you can say I have only stumbled upon bad players, and sure most of the time it has probably been that, but you can't tell me that out of the 20+ dungeons I've done, there hasn't been a single good Fire mage, considering how popular it is.

/end rant
    Fire mage is pretty good ^^ you prolly just ended up with bad players

Quote Originally Posted by Wenoxar View Post
    60-61 seconds fight on pure single target, ilvl 839.2, no third relic (crit 53%, mastery 15%, haste 13%, versatility 1%, intellect 24 892), no flask, no food, no potions, with heroism, talents: pyromaniac, rune of power, flame on, unstable magic, kindling (irrelevant, used only 1 combu)

result: 287k dps
    combustion was about to come off cooldown
    New result:

60~62 seconds fight on pure single target, ilvl 842.9, no third relic (crit 60%, mastery 17%, haste 6%, versatility 0%, intellect 26 672), no flask, no food, no potions, with timewarp, talents: pyromaniac, rune of power, flame on, unstable magic, kindling (irrelevant, used only 1 combu, cinderstorm would be superior choice)

result: 313k dps (around 70k higher than simcraft, either simcraft isn't trustworthy or either pyromaniac is too RNG (had few procs outside combustion))
    combustion was aout to come off cooldown

conclusion: fire mage is goddamn strong, and a RNG spec. Sometimes you'll end up with godlike dps, and sometimes with just bad dps. Seems like the more crit you got the less RNG variety is
    Last edited by Wenoxar; 2016-09-06 at 05:55 PM.

Everyone wants to use IF, I'd rather Mirror Image be viable. Fun talent, not too hard to remember to use, bursty.

My damage is scaling really hard as I'm getting more crit, up to 49% now. Doing a lot better than I was before, restoring some of my faith in the class. Just gotta slog through the low ilvl valley and get back to good crit levels.