Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Not sure what your aversion is to it? I'm thoroughly happy with both my Razer items.
    Planned obsolesence and overpriced merchandise, mainly. Personally it's also the "I'm a gamer!" look that all Razer items have.

10+ Year Old Account
    My Razer mice I buy from Ebay, a lot cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Quite a lot of people seem to like red switches in here.. Why? I personally don't really notice the difference between a linear and a membrane/dome keyboard
    Not sure you've spent that much time using a mechanical, then. A membrane keyboard requires that you "bottom out" the key every time, that's how the connection is made to trigger the keypress. Mechanical switches have an activation point before they bottom out, and once you get used to where that is, it takes a lot less effort and it's much more consistent and less prone to failure than a membrane keyboard.

A decent membrane keyboard will likely last 3-5 years of heavy use, before wear and tear starts to set in, and you'll usually need to replace the whole thing at that point. A mechanical can easily last 10+ years, and switches can be replaced individually in terms of repair.

I write, a lot, and I absolutely notice the difference with my mechanical, moreso than in gaming.

Why red switches in particular? There's no audible "clack", because I find it annoying, and no tactile "click" either, which I also dislike. Takes more getting used to because there's less direct feedback, but switch choice is pretty personal; I wouldn't say that any particular Cherry switch is "wrong".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not sure you've spent that much time using a mechanical, then. A membrane keyboard requires that you "bottom out" the key every time, that's how the connection is made to trigger the keypress. Mechanical switches have an activation point before they bottom out, and once you get used to where that is, it takes a lot less effort and it's much more consistent and less prone to failure than a membrane keyboard.

A decent membrane keyboard will likely last 3-5 years of heavy use, before wear and tear starts to set in, and you'll usually need to replace the whole thing at that point. A mechanical can easily last 10+ years, and switches can be replaced individually in terms of repair.

I write, a lot, and I absolutely notice the difference with my mechanical, moreso than in gaming.

Why red switches in particular? There's no audible "clack", because I find it annoying, and no tactile "click" either, which I also dislike. Takes more getting used to because there's less direct feedback, but switch choice is pretty personal; I wouldn't say that any particular Cherry switch is "wrong".
    I've spent a lot of time on a mechanical keyboard. The past ~5 years. Either on Cherry Browns or now the Romer-G switches in the G910.

I find the lack of click or tactile feel on a linear switch to be boring and unresponsive, same as a membrane compared to Browns. That said, I haven't spent a lot of time on linear switches, pretty quickly moved to Browns in the shop. I also like blues quite a lot, but I like where I live right now, and don't want to annoy everyone within 3 kilometers.

Deleted
    Mouse is starting to act up with random extra button presses which is a bit annoying, and the headphones are getting a bit old. That said, I'm not in a rush to replace them
    That sounds pretty annoying. No warranty left on the mouse?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by magusfrostus View Post
    That sounds pretty annoying. No warranty left on the mouse?
    Sadly no. the shop I bought it in closed down a couple months ago, and manufacturer warranty ran out last year

Deleted
    Sadly no. the shop I bought it in closed down a couple months ago, and manufacturer warranty ran out last year
    Ahh, thats unfortunate.

You have a solid setup for gaming on the PC imo!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GamerTye View Post
    You have a solid setup for gaming on the PC imo!
    Who exactly do you mean?

I use some sort of keyboard that lights up, I can't even tell you what it is because it is so old. It's at least 6 years old at this point. I'm surprised it still works with the amount of soda, juice, water and alcohol spilled on it.

I bought a Redragon M901 PERDITION 16400 mouse after my second G600 in under a year kicked the bucket. I like it better, a lot better.
    Member of every Blizzard beta club.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakpower View Post
    I use some sort of keyboard that lights up, I can't even tell you what it is because it is so old. It's at least 6 years old at this point. I'm surprised it still works with the amount of soda, juice, water and alcohol spilled on it.

I bought a Redragon M901 PERDITION 16400 mouse after my second G600 in under a year kicked the bucket. I like it better, a lot better.
    The mouse looks very similar. Any reason you prefer it to the G600?

The mouse looks very similar. Any reason you prefer it to the G600?
    It is similar, which is one of the reasons I bought it. I like the idea of all the buttons near my left thumb because I'm terrible at hitting any keyboard number beyond 5. I had my first G600 for about 7 months before it started having hiccups in scrolling. It was almost like a lag I couldn't fix. Logitech, for their part, was nice and tried to help and eventually sent me out a new mouse but within 4 months I started having the same issues again. Browsing Amazon for gifts one day, I saw that this mouse was dirt cheap and gave it a shot. I've used this mouse for over a year now with no issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is similar, which is one of the reasons I bought it. I like the idea of all the buttons near my left thumb because I'm terrible at hitting any keyboard number beyond 5. I had my first G600 for about 7 months before it started having hiccups in scrolling. It was almost like a lag I couldn't fix. Logitech, for their part, was nice and tried to help and eventually sent me out a new mouse but within 4 months I started having the same issues again. Browsing Amazon for gifts one day, I saw that this mouse was dirt cheap and gave it a shot. I've used this mouse for over a year now with no issues.
    So you have it over a G600 because it was cheaper? Yeah okay, that's reasonable. When my G600 breaks I'll probably not get another mouse with 12 buttons on the side, it's a bit overkill for me (even in WoW). I have a G13 for all the button pressing needs, and then I just need a mouse for being a mouse and the modifiers. 5 buttons should be plenty. Not to say it isn't nice having that many buttons, I just don't have a need for it anymore

Well I've had this setup for over 2 years now, so I didn't exactly get it for OW but:

Logitech G-15 Keyboard
    Razer Naga mouse
    HyperCloud Headphones
    Blue Snowball Mic

Deathadder Chromo
    Corsair Strafe Red Switches
    Logitech $50 headset. - I don't like gaming headsets, they boost out too much bass which I don't need to hear. When I play competitive games, since pretty much CS 1.3 and TFC I've always used the dual headsets meant for idk telemarketers. I like them better, I hear voices and little things like foot steps or characters weird noises, like RH chains, Trashmouse's limps, etc... much better. If I could find a mic that picks up well and isn't on my face I'd use my Audiotechnica headphones, again DJ headphones, they don't boost bass unnaturally, they boost everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Deathadder Chromo
    Corsair Strafe Red Switches
    Logitech $50 headset. - I don't like gaming headsets, they boost out too much bass which I don't need to hear. When I play competitive games, since pretty much CS 1.3 and TFC I've always used the dual headsets meant for idk telemarketers. I like them better, I hear voices and little things like foot steps or characters weird noises, like RH chains, Trashmouse's limps, etc... much better. If I could find a mic that picks up well and isn't on my face I'd use my Audiotechnica headphones, again DJ headphones, they don't boost bass unnaturally, they boost everything.
    Basically any high quality mic that you can put on a stand off to one side works find for not being in your face. Blue Yeti is a fairly decent mic with a lot of options for mounting

Basically any high quality mic that you can put on a stand off to one side works find for not being in your face. Blue Yeti is a fairly decent mic with a lot of options for mounting
    I prefer my blue snowball, bit cheaper.

At any rate, if you can bear with it, cyber Monday is only 2 months away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djriff View Post
    I prefer my blue snowball, bit cheaper.

At any rate, if you can bear with it, cyber Monday is only 2 months away.
    I use the Snowball too, but the Yeti is a bit better.

We just got a Blue Yeti mic for our office and holy buckets I think it is an amazing mic for the price. I'm no expert but I played around with it for an hour and had a lot of fun with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    We just got a Blue Yeti mic for our office and holy buckets I think it is an amazing mic for the price. I'm no expert but I played around with it for an hour and had a lot of fun with it.
    Basically anyone who does any audio work will recommend it as a good mic for starting out, at least from what I've seen.