Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana1 View Post
    How about you start with some English classes?
    Ooooh.... OOOOH... DAT burn!

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    heh, lasagna, funny

Deleted
    I'm so angered by this drawings. I really want to behead someone!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Now I'm curious, do you still support them .
    I support freedom of speech and not murdering them when I don't agree with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    I have no sympathy at all with the IRA or Sinn Fein, let me make that clear, they are scum.

However, the argument of Irish nationalists (who may or may not endorse violence) was that Northern Ireland is a gerrymandered state with an in-built protestant majority. This is largely accurate-Northern Ireland is a random slice of the island with no particular identity, it is not even correlated with the boundaries of Ulster. The logical democratic unit is the island of Ireland.
    Of course it was gerrymandered, that was kind of the point - a majority Catholic part fo the country becoming independent and the majority Protestant region staying a part of the UK.

Theoretically both sides should have been happy with that solution, unfortunately Ireland (North & South) is a law unto itself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Of course it was gerrymandered, that was kind of the point - a majority Catholic part fo the country becoming independent and the majority Protestant region staying a part of the UK.

Theoretically both sides should have been happy with that solution, unfortunately Ireland (North & South) is a law unto itself.
    Perhaps if things weren't handled arseways it wouldn't have had such long lasting and dramatic consequence don't you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Perhaps if things weren't handled arseways it wouldn't have had such long lasting and dramatic consequence don't you think?
    Perhaps if the Catholics had switched to Protestantism, then we wouldn't have had any problems at all, but they didn't, so we did.

Sectarian issues are rarely simple, there was no easy solution to the issue.

Deleted
    Perhaps if the Catholics had switched to Protestantism, then we wouldn't have had any problems at all, but they didn't, so we did.

Sectarian issues are rarely simple, there was no easy solution to the issue.
    And that's exactly what the other side said too.

Deleted
    Charlie Ebdo is trash. Lot of people here are ashamed by such disrespectfull garbage. They were close to bankrupt before the shootings and they already lost a lot of readers from the "je suis charlie" wave. In a sense, the killings saved charlie ebdo from dissapearing and made them able to publish that kind of shit. Majority of French people dont support that shit. Ok it's free speach. But if they are free to be that disrespectfull in the name of satyre and free speach, I'm free to tell them to go fuck themselve for giving French a(nother) bad name.

Those drawing dont reflect what the French population thinks. I understand the Italian people who got offended by that.

Fuck Charlie ebdo and all the remaining "Charlie".... we dont ear them much lately. It must not remain in many anyway......

Deleted
    Which is not how any democracy works anywhere.

If it did, Wales, Scotland, and Northern England would all be controlled by a government of Labour and Nationalist MP's.

15+ Year Old Account
    And that's exactly what the other side said too.
    And the problem is they are both right

If either side had completely acquiesced their values, cultures, and beliefs to assimilate into the other - there would be no conflict.

The problem is that we each think our side is the best. We're 7 billion people with 7 billion different opinions on which flavor of donut is best, and if someone tries to enforce their choice on us, we may fight and die for Chocolate over Raspberry Jelly.

The tower of babel wasn't language, it was opinions.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is not how any democracy works anywhere.

If it did, Wales, Scotland, and Northern England would all be controlled by a government of Labour and Nationalist MP's.
    It wasn't supposed to be democratic decision, it was a settlement in the aftermath of a war for independence.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never supported them because I gathered info on their past satires before jumping on the tardwagon.
    Charlie Hebdo is a horrible magazine, bashing on the dead rather than making good satire. They have the right to do this sadly, but I'm in no way supporting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    The problem is that we each think our side is the best. We're 7 billion people with 7 billion different opinions on which flavor of donut is best, and if someone tries to enforce their choice on us, we may fight and die for Chocolate over Raspberry Jelly.
    Behead those who insult custard filled doughnuts!
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Do I stop supporting freedom of speech when someone says something I don't like?

What a colossally stupid question. Being allowed to offend without violent reprisal or government censorship is the very purpose of free speech. There are millions of people in the world for whom your entire way of life is a deep and existential offense, OP. If you get to dictate when offense deserves to be stifled, why don't they get to as well?

Yes, this is in poor taste, but gallows humor always is, by definition. What's actually troubling is this sentiment:

"All I would like to say is if Charlie Hebdo was bombed again I shall not be participating in the status Je Suis Charlie."

This is pretty much saying "bomb these fuckers, now that they've offended me". That sentiment is a million times more repugnant than a few tasteless cartoons. Does the cartoon imply that Italians deserved to be caught in an earthquake? No. The fucktard on Twitter, however, thinks he wouldn't shed a tear if some cartoonists got murdered.

Je suis encore Charlie.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

Deleted
    Being allowed to offend without violent reprisal or government censorship is the very purpose of free speech.
    Erm.... what?

Deleted
    It wasn't supposed to be democratic decision, it was a settlement in the aftermath of a war for independence.
    It was classic imperialist divde-and-rule. Everyone has been paying for it ever since.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was classic imperialist divde-and-rule. Everyone has been paying for it ever since.
    The division of Ireland wasn't a case of divide and rule, Eire won its independence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Erm.... what?
    What exactly is confusing you? The purpose of free speech is to allow people to express unpopular opinions without violent reprisal or government censorship. Maybe try developing reading comprehension and don't quote that line out of context. Read the rest of the paragraph, which explains WHY this is important.

Free speech is a non-issue if no one wants to shut you up in the first place.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

10+ Year Old Account
    Erm.... what?
    He's saying freedom of inquiry and expression are more valuable to society than hurt feelings, and should be protected from threats of violence and of censorship by the government.