Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How are the tanks?

So, I've heard constantly how bad DH is and how great prot warrior is, but how true is it? And how do the other tanks fair in the grand scheme of things?

I'm looking to pick up prot pally and wondering if I'm making the wrong decision for a tanking alt. :x

warlock main that went prot paladin main.

Some HP spikes but pala has great emergency self healing, and damage all that damage can top AOE trash fights most of the times unless a good DH or WW shows, I even prefer to do world quests with prot rather than ret

The Seraphin talent is the best thing ever for solo.

I am having a blast on my Prot Pally. I didn't have high hopes for Light of the Protector but it's pretty amazing. I also picked up the Bulwark of Order Trait ASAP which seems fantastic. I've tanked one Mythic so far and it went very smoothly (ilvl 827): there really wasn't a time when I didn't have some tool available to me when I needed it.

Oh and leveling as prot is incredibly fun: you can't die and you can solo pretty much anything/everything, even with the jump at 110. I would highly recommend Prot Pally.
    Last edited by gandalfwg; 2016-09-06 at 09:10 PM.
    Mains:
    Paladin: Calphius
    Warlock: Caltorei
    Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion: destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.

7+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I love playing my DH as Tank.

I rerolled from Prot Warrior to Vengeance DH (played that Prot Warrior since BC, it always was my main character).

As a DH you have a ton of self-healing capabilities and ridiculous amounts of AoE damage potential.
    True, sometimes it does feel like getting hit by several trains at once (especially at the beginning of fights), but I am totally fine with the survivability and utilities the DH provides.

And it is fun to play aswell. Love the double-jump / glide mechanism. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    So, I've heard constantly how bad DH is and how great prot warrior is, but how true is it? And how do the other tanks fair in the grand scheme of things?

I'm looking to pick up prot pally and wondering if I'm making the wrong decision for a tanking alt. :x
    I'm tanking mythics on my DH at 832 and having no issues staying alive, raids will probably be a different story obviously, but if I can get to 840 before then, I should be fine. You just need to plan for damage spikes and not charge in to things without being prepared. I do about 100k healing, paired with the healer doing 100k healing, and I always ask how things are for them and so far no issues. If played correctly, it's not hard, people are just so used to charging in and facerolling over mobs. I'm enjoying the high spikes and planning again.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

Speaking as an Unholy DK that put 13 points into my Blood weapon and started tanking mythic dungeons at ilvl 820, it's going pretty well for us, with a couple exceptions. AoE dps was insane on trash packs as well as self healing those. Was running with a disc priest friend who told me he basically never healed me on trash. That being said there are some mechanics that completely shit on Blood DK, like the heavy bleed + healing down debuff that Hymnal put on me. Since blood has basically no damage reduction and is meant to mitigate through self healing, that debuff killed both my 'mitigation' as well as the healers ability to get me back up. Was a very stressful situation. Had zero problems on any other boss or dungeon though, despite being lower gear than I probably should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Droodid View Post
    I'm tanking mythics on my DH at 832 and having no issues staying alive, raids will probably be a different story obviously, but if I can get to 840 before then, I should be fine. You just need to plan for damage spikes and not charge in to things without being prepared. I do about 100k healing, paired with the healer doing 100k healing, and I always ask how things are for them and so far no issues. If played correctly, it's not hard, people are just so used to charging in and facerolling over mobs. I'm enjoying the high spikes and planning again.
    Dude you shouldn't need to be 840 to tank normals lol. That's tuned for like 810.

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleReady View Post
    Dude you shouldn't need to be 840 to tank normals lol. That's tuned for like 810.
    Eh, I'd rather it be easier for the rest of the group to gear up than start by needing to gear up tanks to survive.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleReady View Post
    810 is the requirement to get into heroic queueing.

840 to tank normals.....lmao

I'm fine, tanks...
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by lolbubble View Post

I'm tanking Mythics, and will probably be tanking Heroic raids when they come out, so I don't think 840 is crazy to aim for by any means.

Prot warrior has reignited my love for tanking again. Ignore pain is invaluable. Tanked my first mythics last night (Maw of Souls, and Eye of Ashara) 1 wipe in total (the double giant pull) but other than that it was smooth.

10+ Year Old Account
    its okay, dont have any problems just feels extremly dumped down from previous glory of tanks

before as blood i had choices and cd's, now all i have todo is pretty much just to keep 5 bones up
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I'm a casual Raider if there's such a thing. I don't rush in leveling up, it will take me a couple weeks, then run normal dungeons, then heroic, then LFR Raids, then Mythic dungeons, and then after all of that I'll be the second off Tank for my Guild to help run Normal 10man Raids as a backup.

Anyways I have been playing off and on since Nov. 2004 vanilla. My main has always been my Paladin Tank, and then later on my secondary character a Death Knight Tank. I have liked playing both classes throughout the years, but always preferring the Paladin Tank a bit more.

I was very reluctant and hesitant to try the Demon Hunter class, as I wasn't too sure how it'd be. Then when I purchased LEGION last week, I said F it, I'll start off right away with a Demon Hunter, and try the Tank spec. At first the rotation, and feel of the DH Tank felt very alien and uncomfortable to me compared to my Paladin and DK Tanks. Was very hard to adjust and get used to the DH, and then around Level 102, it started to click, and I really liked it.

The wings and jumping and gliding is way more fun than I ever thought, even though that has nothing to do with Tanking, it is just so much fun Now my Plate Tanks feel slow and stuck in mud because they don't move like a Demon Hunter. This weekend I dusted off my Level 99 Paladin, got him into Legion to Level 101, and the artifact stuff, and I like it, but something doesn't feel right with him at this point ? I think my DH spoiled me.

But the lower level 5 man Legion dungeons I have run, the Demon Hunter was quite an adjustment to get used to being THE Tank and leader of the group, whereas the Paladin Tank, I feel super confident with, and easily control the 5man group throughout the instance. With the DH I am not confident with him yet. But... everyone I have 5 manned with, says I did a great job with my DH in the dungeons, and the class does Tanking well it seems, just so different to me.

I guess at Level 110, which should I concentrate on ? Paladin Tank or DH Tank ?

- - - Updated - - -

I do like the Demon Hunter Tank, is a fresh and fun class to play, plus the self healing is always a great spec to have.

I was thinking of using my '100 Boost' on a Warrior Tank, all these years I never once made a Warrior class, and wondered how they'd be at Tanking ? But I only have so much time in the day to play WoW. And right now leveling up my Demon Hunter Tank, and sort of playing my main Paladin Tank too on the side. Not sure I have the time to play three different classes and get them leveled up and geared up anytime soon.

Unless I do the DH Tank #1, and then the Warrior #2 starting off at Level 100 with the free boost.

I haven't noticed any tank class in particular that has been difficult to heal. I have had two really bad tanks though. One was a DK tank that never had bone shield up. The other was a warrior and I'm not sure what he was doing wrong but he was dying through a spirit link with all 5 of us in it.

Quote Originally Posted by lolbubble View Post

And heroic dungeons are meant to hear you to bypass normal raids and go straight into heroic raids.

How many people here trying like the new Demon Hunter class ? I always play Tanks, my main is a Paladin Tank, and my secondary character is a DK Tank.

So I rolled DH Vengeance last Tuesday. And at first it felt totally alien and uncomfortable to me, but after Level 102, it clicked, and I really like it. The self healing is crazy good. And the wings on the DH class, that allow you to glide off bridges and big rocks is silly fun

But not sure how good a Demon Hunter Tank will be come Level 110, and doing normal Raids or Mythic dungeon runs ? Should I go back to my Prot Paladin, which has been my main forever. I have my Paladin Tank at Level 101 currently, but pretty much stopped playing him, while I level up my Demon Hunter, currently at 104. The Paladin is still fun, and has a solid safe rotation I feel very comfortable with in 5man Legion dungeons. Whereas the Demon Hunter in 5man's I am still getting used too, and is a bit less comfortable to me right now.

Or I could do something completely different, use my one free " 100 boost" option, and create a Warrior Tank, 'Boost' him to 100, and level him up in legion. I have never once played a Warrior class before all these years.

But then again, I have only so much time to play WoW, with my busy career, and young kids, etc...can only really handle 1 main character, and maybe dabble into a secondary character a little.

From what I understand DH will be amazing in Dungeons but not so great in Raids. Asked a few top players and the general consensus is something like

Bear > Pally/DK/Warr > Monk > DH for Raids
    DH > Pally/DK/Warr > Monk > Guardian for Mythic+

Don't quote me on that, but that's the opinion of 9 different top5 guild members (4 of which are tanks). I'm personally stuck vs DH and Warr (selfheal vs Ignore Pain!!)

7+ Year Old Account
    I've levelled my blood DK so far. I can't speak to the rest of the tanks (they are on my to-do list, to be sure, all at 100) - but blood DK is great, in my opinion. Obviously it's stupid easy to level (pick up everything within range and AOE it down), and tanking dungeons (heroic and normal so far) are smooth. Really good AOE damage, great self healing, and I really like the control options - it's so much easier for me to position casters and bring stray mobs into the AOE cleave.

Quote Originally Posted by Fistfury View Post
    I've levelled my blood DK so far. I can't speak to the rest of the tanks (they are on my to-do list, to be sure, all at 100) - but blood DK is great, in my opinion. Obviously it's stupid easy to level (pick up everything within range and AOE it down), and tanking dungeons (heroic and normal so far) are smooth. Really good AOE damage, great self healing, and I really like the control options - it's so much easier for me to position casters and bring stray mobs into the AOE cleave.
    DK tank is great, been maining one ever since WotLK. I've had no issues with anything up to all heroics... I'll be starting Mythics this weekend. I've read others go back and forth about how good/bad they are; but that could be due to how good warriors are right now with Ignore Pain.

I'll admit that DKs are boring now... it's all about Bone Shield stacks. Our only "Oh shit" is Vamp Blood, which isn't bad if you save at least 1 Death Strike. That said, I don't know how exciting other tank classes are either.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere