Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    The issues with Freedom of Speech is (in the US at least) there are dozens of restrictions. Slander and Libel, obscenities, threats, harassment, hate speech, copyright etc. For something to be free, you can't have large restrictions on it. And that's just what the "government" restricts.
    Please point to the federal law that prohibits any of the speech you listed. You not understanding federal vs civil does not a problem make.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If Free Speech meant you could say anything you like they most assuredly would be. Civil laws can't infringe on Constitutional rights.
    My point was only about libel/slander, where you can say anything you like without getting in trouble based on speech. The charge is based on provable damage resulting from a lie. For example, if you heinously lie about someone, but it didn't specifically cause them any provable damage, then there is no slander/libel.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-09-06 at 06:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    I think this will become a law one day, and sooner than later. I think it's time people have the shit they type in forums be associated with their real names. Free speech is there, it is just that you are accountable now. Thoughts?
    You think your shit is private?

The accountability is there now. You just haven't said anything offensive enough, or terrifying enough to warrant even a second glance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anonymity benefits social progress. It allows people to speak out when they otherwise wouldn't. It's a double-edged sword, to be sure, but it's certainly not all bad.

Well my name is Adolf Hitler and my best friend is Jesus Christ, see the problem here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Technically it's already illegal to communicate under a false name, like Selastan. Its just unenforceable. Someone more knowledgeable than I could probably pull up the exact quotations.
    It really isn't. The most obvious example are authors and pen names. It doesn't matter to the government if you're Anthony Dogpooper, and you want to publish your work under the pseudonym of "William Best", because your actual last name is silly (names made up and not meant to reference anyone "real"). It only matters if "William Best" claims to be a separate person than Tony Dogpooper. If Tony reports all of Billy's earnings as his own, and that it's an alias he uses, that's pretty much all it takes.

Official name changes take more paperwork, because it's not just adding an alias, but making the former non-functional. But even there; ever seen a woman take her husband's last name after marriage? That's how hard it is to do. And she can keep publishing under her maiden name, if she likes, especially if she had a developed career under that name.

The only thing "illegal" is if you try and hide taxes under a fake name so they don't get filed under your actual identity, or otherwise break the law using that name. And then the issue is that law-breaking, not the alias.

The issues with Freedom of Speech is (in the US at least) there are dozens of restrictions. Slander and Libel, obscenities, threats, harassment, hate speech, copyright etc. For something to be free, you can't have large restrictions on it. And that's just what the "government" restricts.
    Those aren't really restrictions on free speech. They're protections of OTHER rights. Free speech has always been bound by other rights.

7+ Year Old Account
    Again, if you could say anything there wouldn't be a caveat for damages.
    You can still say anything in civil matters which doesn't ever charge you for speech, only for specific damage.

I think this will become a law one day, and sooner than later. I think it's time people have the shit they type in forums be associated with their real names. Free speech is there, it is just that you are accountable now. Thoughts?
    Have you not seen people post shit on facebook? Seriously I am laughing if you think this stops anything or that there isn't a way around it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    My point was only about libel/slander, where you can say anything you like without getting in trouble based on speech. The charge is based on provable damage resulting from a lie. For example, if you heinously lie about someone, but it didn't specifically cause them any provable damage, then there is no slander/libel.
    While that's technically true, "provable damage" includes emotional damage. It doesn't have to be physical or financial. Sure, if you lie heinously and nobody believes you and the target doesn't care, not much grounds to sue. If, however, the same lie makes the target consider killing themselves, and their shrink attests to that, bam, that's damages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Anonymity benefits social progress. It allows people to speak out when they otherwise wouldn't. It's a double-edged sword, to be sure, but it's certainly not all bad.
    This is also true. Some people need the Anonymity to be able to speak up without real life repercussions. Someone who might not be ready to open up about being gay or trans or anything of the sort, might want to speak out about it without revealing who they are at this time.

I have friends who use different names on Facebook so their family doesn't disown them for who they are. My gender fluid friend's father would never speak to him again if he found out what his son was into.

So it can be used as a protective shield where people can truly be themselves (non-maliciously).
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    While that's technically true, "provable damage" includes emotional damage. It doesn't have to be physical or financial. Sure, if you lie heinously and nobody believes you and the target doesn't care, not much grounds to sue. If, however, the same lie makes the target consider killing themselves, and their shrink attests to that, bam, that's damages.
    Emotional damage isn't an independent charge, it is always based on some other real damage.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-09-06 at 06:53 PM.

Why don't you go ahead and link your real name and all associated social media accounts?

7+ Year Old Account
    Roflmao. No you can't. If you could say anything there would be no legal consequences for saying anything. Period.
    Yes you can in civil law. You're probably thinking of criminal law, that's where you cant say things that present physical harm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh no thanks. If someone is annoying you that easily online, maybe you get offended too easily or you know... just avoid them? It's the internet, you don't have to be somewhere you don't want to be.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Think we are on the "alt-right wing nutjobs" list yet ?
    I wouldn't be surprise if the SPLC indexes every post made here in Gen-OT.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

7+ Year Old Account
    I am talking about whether we have the right to say anything we please without any legal consequences. A civil settlement is a legal consequence. As is any criminal penalty. Both show we can't simply speak as we like. If that's what the first amendment meant there wouldn't be any of those consequences as no law, civil or otherwise, shall infringe upon the rights granted by the US Constitution.
    Correct you cant legally physically threaten and financially damage people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Emotional damage isn't a stand alone charge, it always based on some other tangible real damage.
    This is flat-out incorrect. Just by way of example, "Intentional infliction of emotional distress" is a charge all on its own, and requires only that the distress be severe enough to qualify, no other damage of any form is required; https://www.justia.com/trials-litiga...1600/1600.html

That's California, most US jurisdictions have some version (maybe all, I haven't checked every single one).

I wonder how many existing laws were first met with dismissal along grounds of it being too unenforceable, expensive, unpopular etc.

Not that I'm suggesting anything will come to pass; was just a passing thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pfewww, i'm kind of relived, just because i don't live in your country.

Also... Wich one of my 4 names, it's kind a shitty long name to use as a user account.

Also... Who the hell grants you i'm not already using it? You can check facebook, and you can notice there that there is a family that uses the name Tuor, and they have a branch of them living in Brasil, and another one in Portugal... How the hell are you going to confirm that my name is actually Tuor?.