Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Multi-fasted answer really.

Is there anything wrong with it? No, you play what you enjoy.
    Can / Will guilds reject you for it? Yes, especially at Mythic level where every little bit counts.

At the end of the day, you play what you want, but you also have to understand that people aren't going to want to carry around dead weight. Being Frost vs Unholy, you're gimping yourself 40K DPS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Lol, did the OP really just say in his 2nd post that if you're not raiding mythic you shouldn't be raiding? LOL
    Don't worry, OP is the same person who kept bringing up that he was diamond as support in LoL, so he knew how healing worked.

Its acceptable, but don't expect to get into progression pve with it, or competitive high level pvp.

WoW is a game, if you have fun doing something one way, its not wrong.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    So, my point is, if you, as a player, want to experience Mythic raids you can stick to your weak spec, but don't expect to get "early" experience (you will have to delay your progress to the point when you outgear mythic content). Be ready to be benched for most part of the raid. Or be a RL GF or something.
    If you want to do actual mythic content - you have to be flexible and push everything to the limit. And i'm not talking about using the strongest spec, but about having multiple raid-ready toons in their strongest specs.
    I wouldnt say that either.

Any Mythic content.

At the very extreme end of the spectrum. Any 2H Frost DK was laughed out of the group. It didnt matter if it was 9 months in or not. 2H frost was just so poor it was inexcusable to bring. Same with Survival Hunters. The key here is, both of those classes had two other viable specs to play.

If you play a class that has multiple specs and you choose to play the one that is terrible. You dont belong in Mythic. Whether that is 3 months in or 9 months in. If you choose to play the one weak spec you are a burden on your group and you are not a team player.

Yeah outside of mythic raiding it really doesn't fucking matter if you play a weaker spec you like more than one that does the most dps.

Hell I am willing to bet you can still do mythic raiding as a weaker spec, it just won't be 100% optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Yeah outside of mythic raiding it really doesn't fucking matter if you play a weaker spec you like more than one that does the most dps.

Hell I am willing to bet you can still do mythic raiding as a weaker spec, it just won't be 100% optimal.
    More than that, spec matters nothing outside of top 100 guilds. It's just weaker players than try to copy what they were told is "one appropriate way".
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post

You can, late mythic "progress" guilds hardly care what people are doing. But in this context (the OP mentioned he wants the "real" raiding, and i interpret it as progressing mythic from the first week with the gear you have then) it is not only sub-optimal, but affects the whole raid's performance.

Also when talking about DPS and saying "well 40k less hardly matters, you have to play the mechanics anyway" is, well, ignorant. 40k less overall dps means 2,4 million less overall DPM, which (in theory) 5 minute long fight is 12 million less damage done than more optimal spec. It should be clear that a spec that does 12 million less damage in a fight is a liability. Also most guilds that raid at that level can choose from recruits, which results in a situation i mentioned earlier; why would you recruit someone that can't play the best spec of their class over someone who can. Also most people at this level can and will play any spec of the class that fulfills their desired role.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: I would like to emphasize on the fact that i have nothing against people who don't enjoy this sort of thing and play whatever they want, i can understand it perfectly. This is a game for all sorts of people, after all! I personally enjoy playing the game like this, it is easy for me to accept that playing the best spec is norm, because i want to do that regardless. I've also always found a class and a spec i can enjoy and whenever i don't, i can reroll into something i do.
    Last edited by Stava; 2016-09-07 at 10:30 AM.
    <Send Help> Frostwhisper EU Horde

On the beginning of Pandaria we've played rated RBGs with at 2400mmr on Stormscale EU while having two holy priests healing us (worst, non-viable healing spec at that time as per "elitist" crowd said) and without moonkin (ye, they said it's mandatory to have moonkin). We still managed to outplay "ideal setups" and Russians by far.

It really doesn't matter what you play - if you are good enough at your class you will always shine. No matter if it's PVP or PVE.

Something to consider about in these discussions:
    1) Level of fun: how much you enjoy playing that class/spec
    2) Level of commitment: how much you'll invest in improvement to first get the max out of the spec and in higher levels, from the class
    3) Expectations on progression and on others' commitment (2)

People tend to mess up all of these together. Specially because a lot of people want to mirror the best players and guilds.

Best guilds don't let (1) affect performance, expect (2) to be the highest, even expecting some players to switch classes if it's for the good of the guild. For these people 1% extra dps matters because they're pushing content way undergeared. They switch trinkets, talents, specs, everything per fight because it does matter. These players can perform mechanics very well and wipe lots of times until they get it. They know and understand completely the relation between stats and how they affect their spec. They write guides.

The opposite side of the spectrum is the casual guild where (1) matters the most, expectations in progression and level of commitment are low. Everyone just wants to have fun. Commitment is low, so nobody knows their class well enough. Wiping a bunch of times might end the night early.

In the middle you have people that want to push the guild closer to the best guilds so they start behaving like better guilds. "Dress for the job you want" or something. It's expected that your level of commitment to increase which might likely suppress the fun factor. Which is fine if you are in sync with the guild's mentality. Getting rejected in an application because you're in the "wrong spec" might indicate they expect you to commit more than you do.

The problem is people that wipe non stop in stupid mechanics wiping with the boss at 50% health or so, bitching because someone is using the "wrong talents" like that 1% or 2% would solve the problem. These people solely base their analysis in DPS and HPS charts. They think ilvl is all that matters. They don't bother looking at positioning, mechanics being done properly, personal defensive cooldowns at right time, dispells, overhealing. WoW community has incredible tools, addons, log parsers, guides and all these people can think about is recount and how high your bar DPS is. Sure DPS matters, but it's definitely not everything.

It's key to find a guild that matches YOUR balance on the three points: fun, commitment and expectations. I had my perfect balance last expansion and I had a blast. Don't give up. Of course, understand that you won't find a guild where everyone is allowed to have as much fun they want with low expectations and expect good progression. Be reasonable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Well, I personally would never, ever let another person dictate what or how I should play. It's the most ridiculous, absurd thought ever.

The other thing is that there are a lot of truisms in the raiding community about what "works" and what doesn't, what is "viable" or "mandatory". The whole segment is occupied by very small-minded people. That's just how it is. It's often not in tune with the factual reality of the game, but it's the reality of the environment you're getting yourself into. I'd try finding a group that's not being overly stupid about it.

Which might get difficult.

But anyway, since you weren't much of a PvEer previously, where does this thinking come from that the game is "only real at Mythic"?

Noble of you, but in reality, som speccs are not welcome in high end game raiding. If you push to at least clear all content on Mythic before the next major content patch, OR above that, meaning realm, region or world firsts, some speccs are just not good enough.

I can't give an example cause I haven't tried anything, but I guess like Arms Warrior or Survival Hunter will have a hard time getting in the top groups.

And you CAN'T be upset for that, NEVER blame the guilds for that, blame poor class balance instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    If you are that interested in mythic raiding then grinding out for the best pve spec shouldn't be a problem.
    And yes its exactly like that, mythic guilds won't even consider applications from sub par specs. Don't listen to the lfr heroes on mmo-c saying its fine to play any crap spec you enjoy.
    Depends really because buff and nerf happens all the time. Say one sepc/class might be really OP in one patch but got the nerf bat next and now is not the top raiding class will they make you change your whole class, level one and then gear up for raids? Or will they bring in another member who have the best spec per current patch and you won't get invited to raids since your class is not as good? I think it will be the later.

I say if you are not pushing for world/server #1 you should be fine with any spec even in mytic raids. Even Warlocks are welcome I just join a guild who actually is looking for warlocks for their casual raiding

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Noble of you, but in reality, som speccs are not welcome in high end game raiding. If you push to at least clear all content on Mythic before the next major content patch, OR above that, meaning realm, region or world firsts, some speccs are just not good enough.

I can't give an example cause I haven't tried anything, but I guess like Arms Warrior or Survival Hunter will have a hard time getting in the top groups.

And you CAN'T be upset for that, NEVER blame the guilds for that, blame poor class balance instead.
    I'm not upset anyway, because I don't care. But I maintain: it's small-mindedness and nothing else.

Deleted
    If you want a spot in a mythic raid next week you better play an OP spec since day 1. There was a beta, you could have known what is OP and what is weak. So it is your lack of vision which will keep you away from your goal, sorry.

Maybe some mythic losers guild will have room for you to get your kills 2 months after the good players.

Its your $15/month so ultimately you play whatever gives you the most enjoyment.

With that said, when you're doing group based content, you're obligated to do the best job possible. But, that might mean playing an inferior spec because you happen to actually do better with it then the supposed better spec.

Unless you're doing cutting edge hardcore content, it shouldn't matter, as execution of mechanics and group cohesiveness matter more then trying to edge out max DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Mainly for PvE concerns, yeah. Let's just say, I'm someone who's only ever PvP'd and rushed into leveling Artfact power for a spec only really stated to acceptable for that this expac. When I finally discovered PvE is the real game and want to get into it, I'm pretty choked with regret now that I'm stuck with that spec.

That said, there is the option to simply play this spec into PvE but to me, the game is only real at Mythic and I've heard in tryouts they'll reject you on sight based on what spec you are running. But are there ever exceptions? What I have on mind is Frost DK btw, and what I am regretting is likely not going Unholy since I tried tanking on the class and decided it's not for me.
    First off one will play the best at the class and spec they like so remember that. Secondly it doesn't take that long to switch specs as raids are t even out yet you have plenty of time to raise unholy if you in so choose too. Next remember blizz buffs and nerfs specs as expansions go on so frost might be the top spec soon anyway. Finally unless going for world first a mythic guild would rather have a good player playing the spec they like then a bad player in a spec of the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elemental Shaman since I start (5 characters, all Elemental Shaman)

Clear all raid HC (Mythic pre WoD).

Play what you enjoy.

Is the guild paying for your sub?

If not then screw them and play what you like. If they whinge.....leave
    There is the sad paradox of a world which is more and more sensitive about being politically correct, almost to the point of ridicule, yet does not wish to acknowledge or to respect believers’ faith in God

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Because it is? I mean, if you're not setting sights on mythic raiding you shouldn't be raiding since that is the endgame everyone is intended to strive toward. I guess if you PvP, Gladiator is the same but it's insignificant by comparison.

Anyway as for why I'm worried, it's not like in previous expacs where you could switch specs on the fly. Your artifact demands you think carefully, and I didn't, so now I am suffering. If Blizzard had all specs evened out, this wouldn't be an issue.
    Your thinking is awfully weird, everything you've said and even your op is basically "follow the herd or gtfo, except if I want to be play a sub par spec". I did get a chuckle though at you saying "if you're not doing mythic then you shouldn't raid"...who are you again to be saying how people should be playing the game? Yet, you want to know if it's acceptable to play a subpar spec for mythic raiding? lol What?? You are asking if it's ok to suck while doing the thing that Blizz "intended everyone to strive for", and it seems you're a bit confused on a few levels here. You have your own way of thinking that you feel "everyone" should adhere to, but you want to know if other people will accept you being subpar, which goes against the more general consensus/way of thinking about mythic raiding that people have.

Bottom line is of course it's fine to play the game how you want, everyone should, and I am saddened for the people who are in the position that playing the game almost becomes a job with them having to adhere to things they don't want to do...but it's ridiculous to think that you yourself will get some kind of pass trying to do the most difficult things in the game just because you recently had some epiphany that pve mythic raiding is the only point of this game and you chose the wrong weapon. I'm sure that'll sound great to guilds who run mythics: "I just started doing pve and I want to use a crappy spec, can I join?"

Sure. Just don't expect to be in the best guild on your server. As long as you're fine with the (totally reasonable) limitations playing a bad spec has on you, go for it.