Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Sony announces PlayStation 4 Pro

Sony has announced the Playstation 4 Pro machine at the PlayStation Meeting 2016. It will be released 10th November 2016, for £349/$399. This is the PlayStation Neo machine rumoured for so long.

Sony's chief console maker Mark Cerny said PS4 Pro has "more than doubled" the GPU power of the standard PS4, and that it uses AMD's Polaris architecture. The clock-rate of the CPU has been boosted but he didn't say what to.

The PS4 Pro will have a 1TB hard-drive.

Sony's message with the PS4 Pro was clear, and repeated: it is a this-generation machine for people pursuing 4K gaming, virtual reality and HDR gaming - the hardcore technology enthusiast. By naming it PS4 Pro, Sony is declaring the generation it belongs to.

PS4 Pro will play existing PS4 games as you know them now, Cerny assured us, and he said there will be ways to transfer games across.

Cerny talked about "forward compatibility", and showed how existing games can and are being patched to look better on PS4 Pro. He said over a half-a-dozen first-party games have "forward compatibility" patches in the works.

What do you think?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ystation-4-pro
    Last edited by mmocda37b2a89b; 2016-09-07 at 07:56 PM.

It's still not my PC. But at least it's better for at home gaming, which is a plus.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

Deleted
    i wonder what its "stats" is

I think I won't bother. I have both a ps4 and a xb1, so I've been waiting for the announcements to see if I wanted to upgrade one. Now I'm leaning towards not upgrading either of them. I'll just wait for the next upgrade in a few years.

I was really hoping to see information on a new ps4 controller. I want to see them make their own version of an elite controller. That didn't happen though.

Welp, was hoping and kinda expecting it to be this year, so I'm happy. Was holding off on picking up a PS4 until this was released, so may pick one up over the holidays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might be able to get my mates old Ps4 to try out some of the games now.

10+ Year Old Account
    fucking awesome, i bought a 4K TV this summer, so i might get this one and sell my old PS4
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

lmao no 4k blue ray driver, what a fucking scam. Should just be honest about it, its just trying to cash grab people because the original PS4 has trash specs that cant keep up. Same for xbone.

So when will ps4 pro 2.0 be announced? All these companies are jokes, reselling the same products as something new and amazing in multiple stages.

Pass.

No 4k blu-ray player

Upscales from 1080p to 4K

Doesn't enhance games at 1080p

Whats the point?

Deleted
    Possibly in the market for a console upgrade, but it depends on the games. Not interested in UHD. Not interested in VR. Don't gimme software that again cut corners when it comes to polygons, texture quality, possibly even resolution and looks worse than Crysis looked on PC almost 10 years ago. Just stick to FHD, which is actually available in ~98% of relevant households and get the maximum quality out of that resolution.

Ps4 Pro Xtreme: now packaged with more extreme and hype than last month's Ps4 Pro!

Xbox will win the mid-cycle upgrades for being more powerful and 4k blu-ray playback. I cannot personally believe Sony willingly chose to exclude that after MS announced both the S and Scorpio would have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    fucking awesome, i bought a 4K TV this summer, so i might get this one and sell my old PS4
    Just wait for an xbox scorpio or just get a an xbox one S now. Not having 4k blu-ray disk playback is honestly pathetic for the company that was the main pioneer behind blu-ray technology to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    Xbox will win the mid-cycle upgrades for being more powerful and 4k blu-ray playback. I cannot personally believe Sony willingly chose to exclude that after MS announced both the S and Scorpio would have it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just wait for an xbox scorpio or just get a an xbox one S now. Not having 4k blu-ray disk playback is honestly pathetic for the company that was the main pioneer behind blu-ray technology to begin with.
    Yeah that doesnt make sense... doesnt sony have some kind patent or stake in blu-ray technology? it makes no sense they would not include it. Its possible microsoft paid a shit load of royalties for it that sony cant afford because business is tanking everywhere else for them but gaming?

Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Yeah that doesnt make sense... doesnt sony have some kind patent or stake in blu-ray technology? it makes no sense they would not include it. Its possible microsoft paid a shit load of royalties for it that sony cant afford because business is tanking everywhere else for them but gaming?
    I don't think they paid a lot of royalties at all, I believe they even said it didn't add much to the cost to make the S or Scorpio.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    lmao no 4k blue ray driver, what a fucking scam. Should just be honest about it, its just trying to cash grab people because the original PS4 has trash specs that cant keep up. Same for xbone.
    since the xbox one s has the player its not really a scam?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think they paid a lot of royalties at all, I believe they even said it didn't add much to the cost to make the S or Scorpio.
    I think its more sony wanted to rush thier pro out before the xbox scorpio. Ill personally be buying a ps4plus but only cus i had been waiting to get a ps4 untill a few games were announced id like but ill still be upgrading my xbox to the scorpio as well when it comes out.

Well this just pisses me off. I went and bought a normal PS4 not long after launch with one of the reasons being the promised VR capabilities that Sony was promising. These mid generation upgrades just seem like a really bad business move. People already have little reason to purchase a new console at launch due to lack of games, so why not wait a year to not only get more games but a more powerful machine for the same price. Not to mention it splits the playerbase and lowers the pool of potential VR users.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    since the xbox one s has the player its not really a scam?

- - - Updated - - -

I think its more sony wanted to rush thier pro out before the xbox scorpio. Ill personally be buying a ps4plus but only cus i had been waiting to get a ps4 untill a few games were announced id like but ill still be upgrading my xbox to the scorpio as well when it comes out.
    I would definitely agree that, if you're just jumping into getting a PS4 for the first time, or getting it again after selling/trading it in before that the Pro is a great investment. However, for me personally I own an OG PS4...I personally see zero reason to upgrade to it until it's sub $300 unless Sony works with gamestop to give a tremendous trade in value for the OG PS4.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by animeprime View Post
    Well this just pisses me off. I went and bought a normal PS4 not long after launch with one of the reasons being the promised VR capabilities that Sony was promising. These mid generation upgrades just seem like a really bad business move. People already have little reason to purchase a new console at launch due to lack of games, so why not wait a year to not only get more games but a more powerful machine for the same price. Not to mention it splits the playerbase and lowers the pool of potential VR users.
    It doesn't split the playerbase at all....Every game will work on both the PS4 Pro, Slim and Original PS4. I do agree that I dislike the mid-cycle upgrades. While I will most likely upgrade to a Scorpio next year, I doubt going forward I will bother with consoles until mid to late generation after this gen. I'll put that money into my computer instead, especially considering the 1070 is about the price of a PS4 Pro....

Quote Originally Posted by animeprime View Post
    Base PS4 supports VR as well. This model just supports higher resolution VR.

especially considering the 1070 is about the price of a PS4 Pro....
    So how much is the cpu, ssd, memory, motherboard, case, psu and OS gonna cost? I always cringe anytime I see a console compared in price just to a GPU.

Anyways, I don't really care about the pro. They showed me little reason to upgrade and I actually do have multiple 4k displays in my house. If for whatever reason my launch PS4 ever dies I'll buy one but until then I don't really care. The differences they showed where pretty negligible and shows the decline in advancement despite the misleading *double the power* which you see with tflops taken into account.

The fact HDR support is being patched into all PS4s basically makes the pro worthless outside of minor changes. HDR is huge for colors, and if you have a 4k display even an old PS4 is going to look a lot better with that patch.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-09-07 at 10:47 PM.