Pally tanking questions

So, I'm back to Pally tanking, having fun, but wanted to ask a few questions to make sure I'm hitting the right targets and if I'm below where I need to be, I figure it out so that I'm doing what I need to do.

Here's my profile:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ckeyser/simple

1) What are other Pally tanks finding their typical Damage Taken is for a dungeon. Depending on the Dungeon and how fast a group wants to pull (and if players accidentally or on purpose chain pull), I find that I'm between 66k and 81k DTPS overall with around 30-40k HPS. Is that about right in ilvl 795 gear with no set pieces or anything? I had the LFR 4pc and that actually scaled so that by lvl 107, it gave a bubble every 6 seconds that absorbed something like 115k dmg which seemed OP. Pretty sure that's gonna be fixed. I took it off because I wanted to get away from the crutch, but dang that shield even in 695 gear was amazing. Anyway, is that dmg taken about right for Normal dungeons? I see the healers at 110 are doing about 120-150k HPS, so I don't think I'm over stressing them, but I dunno.

2) Are there any particular talents that tanks are finding must have in a Mythic dungeon/raid setting that might not be evident while questing and in normal dungeon setting?

3) I haven't chosen a "bodyguard" because I haven't felt the need. Am I missing out by not bringing on along? As Prot, if I should bring one, is there a preferred one? (I understand that Lady Liadrin is maybe a good choice because of Ret requirements for reasons I don't know...the answers were incomplete)

Any help is appreciated. I'm really enjoying Prot. Haven't had this much fun tanking since BC, honestly...

Quote Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
    3) I haven't chosen a "bodyguard" because I haven't felt the need. Am I missing out by not bringing on along? As Prot, if I should bring one, is there a preferred one? (I understand that Lady Liadrin is maybe a good choice because of Ret requirements for reasons I don't know...the answers were incomplete)
    Liadrin is useless. She doesn't follow you as companion, she gives you long cd button that does pathetic damage and small knockback so the only good it is for is mass interrupt on a very long cd.

Boros and later Arator actually follow you like a bodyguard. Difference is Boros will taunt mobs off you. Arator will leap to mobs. Both can get annoying at a time, pick whatever.

Lothraxion again gives you a button that does aoe stun with debuff on mobs that increases damage. Good for AOE but his aim is a bit weird, it's a cone like light of dawn and sometime he doesn't do it where I'm facing but on some 1 stranded mob behind me. Beats me why.

I bring them if they aren't needed for a current mission (need to farm that AP), because they get xp from you doing quests. And if they are low lvl when you get a good mission, they might fail it because of low lvl.

I honestly don't find a bodyguard necessary for soloing stuff in the world at all - use a one of the ones recommended by the post above if you care, but make sure you do always use one since they gain XP and that benefits you pretty tangibly.

Wow, I didn't know that!

I know that with Defender Illona, that she leveled with you, but if you wanted to get another bodyguard's rep up, her "follower" level reverted to what it was when you asked her to join you. The combat role level and the mini-game role level weren't the same. Now it seems it is, so unlike in WoD, I'll have to grab a Champion to level them faster. I was wondering why I was 110 and my Champions we're all only 108... that'd be a good part of it.

Can anyone confirm whether the xp continues past 110 for bodyguards into the XP requirement for uncommon/rare quality etc. etc.?

Never tried the bodyguard... Prot so good already :/

It's 150 xp a quest at level 110. You can level them to rare fairly quickly that way.
    SWTOR Friend Referral code: http://www.swtor.com/r/DzSdz8
    (You get free stuff, I get free stuff, win/win!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zodd View Post
    Can anyone confirm whether the xp continues past 110 for bodyguards into the XP requirement for uncommon/rare quality etc. etc.?

Never tried the bodyguard... Prot so good already :/
    Yep, I only slot them for xp and they levelled to green already and keep getting xp. Didn't get any to blue yet because I un-slot and re-slot them depending which one doesn't currently counter any missions I send out. Btw they even get xp from blingtron daily and so on if you pop it in area where bodyguards apply (so not dalaran / class hall but let's say suramar).

I took Boros out with me but watched his XP and did not see it move while completing world quests. Sent him back on missions since I need him leveled and don't need protection.

There are lively debates throughout this forum on talents. Personally for 5-mans I like Final Stand and Last Defender. Boss fights tend to be more about following mechanic than talent choices. Biggest factor in clearing a mythic dungeon efficiently seems to me to be how fast we move through trash and how we handle back/double pulls. Last Defender means the more adds the better while Final Stand lets me bubble without losing agro. I will spec differently for raid bosses.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    I took Boros out with me but watched his XP and did not see it move while completing world quests.
    Followers get 150xp per quest completed at 110. If you enable the option, it will print the info in the chatbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Followers get 150xp per quest completed at 110. If you enable the option, it will print the info in the chatbox.
    Ah ok. I was getting xp for killing mobs and not seeing his change. I will have to take him back out again! Or Lothraxion. The Light shines on everything!

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    I was getting xp for killing mobs and not seeing his change.
    He doesn't get xp from mobs for the good or bad of it (contrary to WOD bodyguard "rep" from killing mobs), only per quest completion. If you have menial quests like "go talk to this npc around the corner" they still count.

World quests as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaktard View Post
    World quests as well?
    Yep. Obviously. Would be stupid if they didn't count.