Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

The Regressive Left Brings Back Segregation in California

Yeah, the term "Regressive Left" is just becoming more and more apt by the day. I posted a mini-rant on a friend's facebook post about how modern liberalism is like the bizarro mirror of 1950's ideals, with draconian views on sex (though not because of religious/moral reasons, but an unhealthy obsession with sexual victimhood), tolerating bigotry (as long as the target of bigotry is white, and preferrably a white male), and now, they want to bring back segregation.

Un-fucking-believable.

LOS ANGELES (KMPH/KFRE) - California State University Los Angeles (CSLA) says it is offering separate housing to black students on campus, as a means of fighting against "microaggressions" and "racially-insensitive remarks," according to The Washington Times.

School administrators say they are honoring requests by the Black Student Union and will offer "housing space delegated for black students" at the Halisi Scholars Black Living-Learning Community. Currently, CSLA says 24 students currently live there, and there is now a wait list to get in.

The College Fix reported Tuesday that in November 2015, CSLA's Black Student Union also demanded $30 million in scholarship money from the school to assist black students, a new anti-discrimination police and cultural competency courses for faculty and students.

In a letter of demands to CSLA President William Covino, the Black Student Union said the housing "would provide a cheaper alternative housing solution for black students. This space would also serve as a safe space for black CSLA students to congregate, connect, and learn from each other."

The move toward segregated housing has drawn criticism from some who say separating minority students from the overall population of a campus runs counter to the goals of the Civil Rights Movement. CSLA said this specialized housing option is not unique, and doesn't shut anyone out.
    Here's another article from The College Fix about the whole thing.

Modern liberalism = 1950's values, but for different reasons.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2016-09-07 at 10:46 PM.

I don't understand how anyone thinks going backwards and segregating races is a worthwhile endeavor. And how can they say the housing option doesn't shut anyone out? Are all races allowed in there or are they shut out?

This isn't liberalism. You are confusing terms. Though thus shit is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I don't understand how anyone thinks going backwards and segregating races is a worthwhile endeavor. And how can they say the housing option doesn't shut anyone out? Are all races allowed in there or are they shut out?
    Everyone is allowed. All races. Except white. It's not racist to exclude them. Because of white priviledge and racism. /rolls eyes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shilling View Post
    This isn't liberalism. You are confusing terms. Though thus shit is hilarious.
    This is liberalism at its core: Blaming others for your problems to the point that it makes sense to make these decisions.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

10+ Year Old Account
    You initial post is a hot mess.

Can't imagine this thread will stay open long.

That being said -- although I don't agree with refusing to mix outside your identified *whatever* (gender, race, sexual orientation) I think there is an ENORMOUS world of difference between the forced segregation of the 50s and having a voluntary segregation asked for by the students.

The fact you are trying to mix the two is extremely distasteful.

This is just like having a gay bar, or heck, women's dorms. People generally feel more comfortable when surrounded by the familiar. I don't think that's ultimately best for people, but to claim this is related to liberalism and is bringing back segregation is goofy.

Maybe this was all a ploy by white people to get the comfortable seats at the back of the bus. A scheme 60 years in the making...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    This is just like having a gay bar, or heck, women's dorms. People generally feel more comfortable when surrounded by the familiar. I don't think that's ultimately best for people, but to claim this is related to liberalism and is bringing back segregation is goofy.
    I thought straight people were allowed to go to a gay bar.

You initial post is a hot mess.

Can't imagine this thread will stay open long.

That being said -- although I don't agree with refusing to mix outside your identified *whatever* (gender, race, sexual orientation) I think there is an ENORMOUS world of difference between the forced segregation of the 50s and having a voluntary segregation asked for by the students.

The fact you are trying to mix the two is extremely distasteful.

1.)All gay bars are open to the public. Unless it's a private event. You dont have to be gay to enter a gay bar 99% of the time
    2.)Womens dorms exist, since it's actually legal to segregate somewhat by sex. Bathrooms exist. Sororities exist etc. etc. Liberals want to change this I think, or make it more inclusive to other genders/sexs/WHATEVER other than white males
    3.)Shielding college students. Ya, thats helpful. They are fucking grown adults at higher education, lets treat them like 4 year olds getting parented by bigots and dipshits

10+ Year Old Account
    As a liberal I don't agree with this

10+ Year Old Account
    Can white people enter these buildings? If so then I simply don't see what the big problem is -- other than giving people an opportunity to slam "libruls"

And, as was pointed out above, the goal of liberalism is actually the opposite of this -- inclusion across all creeds. I think the safe-space concept when applied like this actually runs counter to liberalism and is it's own thing...

Can white people enter these buildings? If so then I simply don't see what the big problem is -- other than giving people an opportunity to slam "libruls"

And, as was pointed out above, the goal of liberalism is actually the opposite of this -- inclusion across all creeds. I think the safe-space concept when applied like this actually runs counter to liberalism and is it's own thing...
    Liberalism as it's defined sure. Liberalism in the 21st century? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. Take a good look, and breathe this cancer in old boy. This is the new liberalism

While I agree its not right to label this a right or left issue, I can't understand how anyone could think segregation is a step forward.

So would these same students be opposed to a white only cafeteria, or white only gym on campus? I mean if we're going to segregate, lets do it right. Not this half-assed shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

They can't live there apparently because of their race and it's cheaper. That's the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    Liberalism as it's defined sure. Liberalism in the 21st century? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. Take a good look, and breathe this cancer in old boy. This is the new liberalism
    I'm not sure you can take something like segregation which goes against some of the core tenants of liberalism or progressivism and just declare that it's the new liberalism. I mean, that's the easy route, but I could just as easily make a case for how this is actually a surge of neo-conservatism...and frankly that would make more sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    While I agree its not right to label this a right or left issue, I can't understand how anyone could think segregation is a step forward.
    I don't think it is personally. But I can understand why students would want something like this -- but then again people of that age are hardly known for making good rational decisions.

Is there a White Student Union? I think, in all fairness for equality, we should get white only housing too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    They can't live there apparently because of their race and it's cheaper. That's the problem.
    Is it cheaper just because it's cheaper or is there a trade-off or qualifying thing other than race? I'm not sure about this but it seems like offering the same housing to white students and black students and discounting the black students is likely not legal.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure about this but it seems like offering the same housing to white students and black students and discounting the black students is likely not legal.
    Have you heard of affirmative action and race scholarships?

Is it cheaper just because it's cheaper or is there a trade-off or qualifying thing other than race? I'm not sure about this but it seems like offering the same housing to white students and black students and discounting the black students is likely not legal.
    Well it said they'd provide a cheaper housing alternative solution for black students.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

15+ Year Old Account
    never have i seen such a tremendous leap back in civil rights ffs this pc pussy world is in need of a purging
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Have you heard of affirmative action and race scholarships?
    There is a reason I said housing. I suppose if they offset the cost of housing with a scholarship that would be a way around it. Or if universities just don't have the same rules.

There isn't a lot of information given in the article and it makes me suspicious that details are being deliberately left out in order to gin up outrage and sell the article.

If it is truly all it is -- a group of black only housing the same as other housing offered cheaper to black only students then yes, that is a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Well it said they'd provide a cheaper housing alternative solution for black students.
    For black students, or for black students who come from poverty? As I mentioned earlier in this post it feels like there are details being left out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    never have i seen such a tremendous leap back in civil rights ffs this pc pussy world is in need of a purging
    Seems to be a bit of an overreaction eh?