Computer upgrade help

I've decided I want to try my hand at building my own computer. I have a second computer that I'm going to experiment with before I decide to build a new one from scratch in the next year or so. So here is what I currently have i3-2120 processor and EVGA GTX 570 hd. I need a PSU and new case and I would like them to be compatible with a future build if that is at all possible. Not sure what other info you need, thanks for any help you can give.

Weird pcpartpicker isnt picking up neweggs sale price on the 620w, grab this instead for 5 bucks more:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151095

Thank you for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Do some research on cases as pretty much anything should work for you in the future(although the smaller cases will dictate certain choices). The PSU Fascinate linked is good, but if you decide to overclock or go SLI you might need a bit more power than it offers.
    If I were to overclock or go SLI, how much bigger of a PSU would I need for that?

Quote Originally Posted by stonewall02 View Post
    If I were to overclock or go SLI, how much bigger of a PSU would I need for that?
    If you're going to overclock I suggest 550W Gold rated PSU (650W if you get single 980Ti or 1080), it's overclocked + SLi you're looking at 750W.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Thank you all for your time and responses

I have a couple more questions if anyone has the time to help me out. I decided that getting a new case was too much for my first time messing with the inside of a computer. I know its supposedly not that hard but I'm not a handy person at all. So, I need a PSU that will run my EVGA GTX 570 hd, which has 2 6-pin connectors. I need it to fit into my current case so I have a couple of options....I'd really like this PSU https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER because it fits and it has enough power to run a higher end system that I would like to eventually build. However, on Amazon it looks as though it only has 1 6-pin available for a GPU, definitely could be wrong about this so someone please double check me. So if that PSU isn't any good or won't run this card I already have, can anyone suggest another compact PSU around that size and power? If that's not possible I would settle for something that runs my current graphics card and fits into my current case which would be about the same size as the one I linked. Thanks again for all of your help.

EDIT: PSU had 2 non molular PCIe 6+2 pin connectors, mixed it up with V series.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2016-09-07 at 01:17 PM.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

750 isn't overkill as a long term solution for overclocking and potential SLI. It is about perfect in fact.
    This PSU is not suitable for SLI (only two PCIe connectors which are non-modular) or overclocking (cheap components). It's a budget design for low load systems.

I didn't say THAT psu was good, just that that's why you go 750. OP didn't do enough research to follow through with what he wants to do.
    My bad for misunderstanding then.

I didn't say THAT psu was good, just that that's why you go 750. OP didn't do enough research to follow through with what he wants to do.
    I'm trying to do research, which includes asking on this board and reading different websites and reviews. I had not come across anything that made me think this wasn't a quality item but admittedly I do not know much about computers, which is why I posted it here so I could get an opinion from other people who know a lot more than I do. So help me learn. Why wouldn't that specific 750w work for SLI? What are things i need to look for when evaluating PSUs? Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by stonewall02 View Post
    I'm trying to do research, which includes asking on this board and reading different websites and reviews. I had not come across anything that made me think this wasn't a quality item but admittedly I do not know much about computers, which is why I posted it here so I could get an opinion from other people who know a lot more than I do. So help me learn. Why wouldn't that specific 750w work for SLI? What are things i need to look for when evaluating PSUs? Thanks again
    I have no idea why would you need SLI in the first place but here goes. Going SLI assumes you are already maxed out on single card performance increase and have a top configuration that will allow you to unlock your videocards. This includes a PSU that will handle serious loads without problems.
    1) Platform and component quality. Ensures your PSU will handle loads well and wont require replacement after 2-3 years. Uncheck for this PSU, it's not designed for that.
    2) Having enough PCIe power connectors, and ideally them using separate 12V rails. Uncheck here aswell, only two PCIe connectors, most GTX 1070 and all GTX 1080 use 2 each.
    3) High temperature performance. Not all PSU can output their ranked power on high temperatures. Check here.
    Points below are optional but recommended:
    4) Efficiency and voltage regulation. This is not required for SLI but it's assumed that any rig with SLI is also running a highend overclocked processor. I recommend good 80 Plus Gold rated PSUs for those configurations, uncheck here.
    5) Ripple suppression. Same as above. Most modern brand platforms dont have any problems here. Check.
    6) Fully modular architecture. Typical build that runs SLI will have a lot of cables and cable management is really important for airflow and visuals. Uncheck here.

There is also acoustic performance but that doesnt really come into play with the typical SLI build.
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2016-09-08 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    I have no idea why would you need SLI in the first place but here goes. Going SLI assumes you are already maxed out on single card performance increase and have a top configuration that will allow you to unlock your videocards. This includes a PSU that will handle serious loads without problems.
    1) Platform and component quality. Ensures your PSU will handle loads well and wont require replacement after 2-3 years. Uncheck for this PSU, it's not designed for that.
    2) Having enough PCIe power connectors, and ideally them using separate 12V rails. Uncheck here aswell, only two PCIe connectors, most GTX 1070 and all GTX 1080 use 2 each.
    3) High temperature performance. Not all PSU can output their ranked power on high temperatures. Check here.
    Points below are optional but recommended:
    4) Efficiency and voltage regulation. This is not required for SLI but it's assumed that any rig with SLI is also running a highend overclocked processor. I recommend good 80 Plus Gold rated PSUs for those configurations, uncheck here.
    5) Ripple suppression. Same as above. Most modern brand platforms dont have any problems here. Check.
    6) Fully modular architecture. Typical build that runs SLI will have a lot of cables and cable management is really important for airflow and visuals. Uncheck here.

There is also acoustic performance but that doesnt really come into play with the typical SLI build.
    Thank you for laying that out point for point for me, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.