Page 1 of 2
LastLast

enhancement, poor dps, what am I doing wrong?

Hi.

I am playing enhancement and my ilvl is 842. I got the rotation/talents from icy veins here

http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/enhance...builds-talents

however, my dps barely gets to 200k on mythic and sometimes it gets below 150k even. Compare this to mages I play with and demon hunters who always get above 200k, something feels wrong.

What am I doing wrong? Like I just killed eye of azshara on mythic and my dps was 160k while the mage was almost 200k and the demon hunter was 210k.

-proper use of doom winds ( doom hammer) is eesential, never use it when you have less than 50ish maelstorm, have at least 2 storm stirkes or stormstrike and crash lightning. Also make sure hailstorm is up before you use it. boulderfist/flametounge/frostband do not proc windfury during doomwinds, they are ranged spell attacks not melee attacks

-crash lightning is essential to spirit wolves dps, always use it immediatly after wolves

-doom winds and spirit wolves both generate tons of maelstorm, i use doom winds burn maelstrom down with a few lava lashes then use wolves, the only time to use both at once is if you have a very good trinket proc up

-do you have lots of mastery/haste? too much crit/versatility will lower your damage and maelstrom starve you

thats about all i can think of aside from try not to let your boulderfist cap

Deleted
    A screenshot of your artifact weapon would help too.. You might have really screwed yourself over in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushu View Post
    A screenshot of your artifact weapon would help too.. You might have really screwed yourself over in that department.
    Here you go, you might be right >.<

http://imgur.com/a/0IAHf

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TS26 View Post
    Here you go, you might be right >.<

You picked up some suboptimal early ones but you have a lot of points in general so it's not the cause, considering a lot of shamans haven't got to raging storms yet anyway.

From what I see of other enhancements it's usually using lava lash too much. If you take proper advantage of stormbringer stormstrike should be your top damage usually. What's your damage breakdown like on a boss?

Quote Originally Posted by swissarmywolf View Post
    -proper use of doom winds ( doom hammer) is eesential, never use it when you have less than 50ish maelstorm, have at least 2 storm stirkes or stormstrike and crash lightning. Also make sure hailstorm is up before you use it. boulderfist/flametounge/frostband do not proc windfury during doomwinds, they are ranged spell attacks not melee attacks

-crash lightning is essential to spirit wolves dps, always use it immediatly after wolves

-doom winds and spirit wolves both generate tons of maelstorm, i use doom winds burn maelstrom down with a few lava lashes then use wolves, the only time to use both at once is if you have a very good trinket proc up

-do you have lots of mastery/haste? too much crit/versatility will lower your damage and maelstrom starve you

this is my character

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%b2rrow/simple

and my artifact

I always make sure stormstrike/crash lightenings are used on cd (with hailstorm buff) and it still feels like im doing something wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyarai View Post
    You picked up some suboptimal early ones but you have a lot of points in general so it's not the cause, considering a lot of shamans haven't got to raging storms yet anyway.

From what I see of other enhancements it's usually using lava lash too much. If you take proper advantage of stormbringer stormstrike should be your top damage usually. What's your damage breakdown like on a boss?
    sometimes I do feel like I use lava lash too much but thats when boulderfist/stormstrike/crash lightening are used. Should I not use lava lash then? if I have less than 100 maelstorm ofcourse?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TS26 View Post
    sometimes I do feel like I use lava lash too much but thats when boulderfist/stormstrike/crash lightening are used. Should I not use lava lash then? if I have less than 100 maelstorm ofcourse?
    Should only use it to avoid capping maelstrom, so realistically only when you have wolves out usually, or when you're getting unlucky with stormbringer procs and aren't spending much maelstrom.

It would be easier to tell the problem I could see your damage breakdown on a boss (ie. % of damage done by skill).

Should only use it to avoid capping maelstrom, so realistically only when you have wolves out usually, or when you're getting unlucky with stormbringer procs and aren't spending much maelstrom.

It would be easier to tell the problem I could see your damage breakdown on a boss (ie. % of damage done by skill).
    sadly I am not in game but I will do it tonight and reply to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Just did a quick neltharion lair heroic, I changed my keybinds around and using stormstrike seemed faster and easier to notice, if this makes sense..

http://imgur.com/a/aiLco

The most dps I got was 210k and the lowest was 180k or so, however this is on a heroic with bloodlust half of these boss fights

[QUOTE=TS26;42231594]Here you go, you might be right >.<

Its the wep itself. You have many of the lower talents instead of rushing to your 2nd gold.
    I went:
    Gathering Storms
    Wind Strikes
    Spiritual Healing
    Doom Wolves
    Alpha WOlf
    (Mistake made here) 1 point in wind surge
    Stormflurry
    Forged in lava
    and working on doom vortex atm, needing about 7k AP

Haste should be 65% of your mastery, but mastery is your BIS stat. Keep DOomwinds and WOlves on CD, keep Frostbrand 100%, firebrand is ok to have dormant for a bit, dump any excess maelstrom over 80 into lava lash, keep boulderfist on CD and crash lightning on CD. During ranged or run out phases bind lightning bolt for quick casts (but not a huge DPS increase, just gives a little extra while you are out of range).

Without seeing logs, I'm going to guess that your haste is either too high or too low in comparison to your mastery. Your not prioritizing Stormstrike and Stormbringer over everything else, and you aren't dumping maelstrom quick enough.

In case you were wondering why the 65% haste to Master. Mastery increases windfury procs (more maelstrom) and strombringer (more DPS) and haste will grow exponentially with mastery, but mastery is the best stat by far.

I find that if im over 80 maelstrom, spamming Lava Lash and Stromstirke when off CD is the best even letting frostbrand fall off. there's times I'm pulling 350k (at 841 ilvl) single target sustained without either frostbrand or flametongue active (usually by almost a minute or so) The Wep enchants are essential to have up when procing doomwinds, but don't add much other than a GCD during maelstrom spending, but at higher mastery it becomes relevant again, due to the increased auto attack WF proc gain.

I tossed icy veins rotation out the window a while ago.

There's an obvious idea rotation/priority system but it boils down to this. Is it an AoE pull, is it a ST pull, is there a vulnerability on the boss window.

The main thing to that icy doesn't really point out is simply put you stormstrike after applying hailstorm/ft and then crash lightning on single target. Crash lightning has a chance to start a stormbringer proc that didn't occur. On AoE you will wolves and crash lightning obviously then go into stormstrike but the key is having crash lightning out there for the chance to start a stormbringer proc.

I see a problem right away:
    Mastery Rating is 6240
    Haste Rating is 5629 (65% would be 4037), You would need to be at 8660 mastery for that amount of haste, you need more mastery or less haste.
    6.96% versatility is a problem too, ilvl on the order hall set isn't as good as the stat breakdown on some heroic and mythics, start getting rid of it ASAP

There's times when I can stromstrike 6-7 times in a row due to my mastery procs (alternating with doomwinds and boulderfist to maintain enough maelstrom)
    Last edited by Loxslykaboom; 2016-09-08 at 02:36 PM.

As said above, my unprofessional guess would be your mastery vs. haste... low haste seems to really kill this spec.

Deleted
    I was right, you've picked some pretty weak ones...

You NEED Alpha Wolf

You picked Gathering the maelstrom, weapons of the elements and wind surge early on, these ones are crap.

Pick up Doom Wolves and Raging Storms>Unleash storm next.

- - - Updated - - -

Also ignore the guy that just said he's going for Doom Vortex.

You want to go:

Alpha Wolf >Stormflurry >Doom wolves > Unleash doom > Doom Vortex

I would recommend giving Chesder's TMW profile a try to learn the basics of Enhance and get familiar with how the "rotation" feels. I don't think it recommends Doom Winds usage very well atm but this will get you in the right direction in terms of doing good baseline DPS. You can do better DPS than simply following its spell suggestions but it's a good place to start IMO.

I can't link anything right now but his TMW profile is a thread topic on the first page of the Shaman forums atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzeric View Post
    I would recommend giving Chesder's TMW profile a try to learn the basics of Enhance and get familiar with how the "rotation" feels. I don't think it recommends Doom Winds usage very well atm but this will get you in the right direction in terms of doing good baseline DPS. You can do better DPS than simply following its spell suggestions but it's a good place to start IMO.

I can't link anything right now but his TMW profile is a thread topic on the first page of the Shaman forums atm.
    This. I used Chesder's string and then tweaked it for my own tastes. I also do pretty much whatever Wordup suggests. I trust him to steer me right.

My only qualm with this is I feel TMW is sort of a necessity now. It is capable of making better decisions than I can on my own much of the time. There are times when you will want to use something other than what it suggests and you will figure this out with time and experience.

I'm at 841 ilvl and I feel competitive with other DPS I've run with.

Thank you all. I made sure my haste is at 65% of my mastery and downloaded the TMW profile.

However, the profile tells me to use doomwinds and then use frostband/flametongue after that even when Stormstrikes is up. Is that correct? seems like it wastes doom winds, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Sushu View Post
    I was right, you've picked some pretty weak ones...

You NEED Alpha Wolf

You picked Gathering the maelstrom, weapons of the elements and wind surge early on, these ones are crap.

Pick up Doom Wolves and Raging Storms>Unleash storm next.

- - - Updated - - -

Also ignore the guy that just said he's going for Doom Vortex.

You want to go:

Alpha Wolf >Stormflurry >Doom wolves > Unleash doom > Doom Vortex

yeah just noticed your weapon, alpha wolves are so good, even on a single target its a great dps increase

Quote Originally Posted by swissarmywolf View Post

I want to thank you so much for this. Using Doom Winds like you suggest bumped my dps up 50-60K easily. Again thank you so much

another question, let's say I have an ilvl 830 trinket that has 1k agility. Should I trade it for a 840 trinket that has versatlity and on use ability?
    Last edited by TS26; 2016-09-09 at 04:27 AM.

You have to be more specific about which on use ability.