Quote Originally Posted by Wulfey View Post
    A while back I talked about Neutrality versus Objectivity and how they are in fact mutually exclusive. Check out this quote from Chris Mathews:

"Chris Matthews just said that if Matt Lauer called out Trump for telling lies, that would be expressing an opinion, and not being neutral."

https://twitter.com/wilw/status/773707216864022528

Do you see what I mean? Objectively Trump is lying. We have video evidence. But to call him out would violate Neutrality. The nonsense here is of course that THERE IS NO ONE ELSE THERE BUT LAUER AND ONLY HE CAN CALL HIM OUT
    What's the actual quote from Chris Mathews? If, for example, Chris Mathews said that it wouldn't be neutral for Lauer to intervene in the debate by being a third voice bringing additional information, then that would be true. The debate is between the two candidates and it is up to the two candidates to fact check the other's statements and rebut them. Lauer's role is to provide the questions and ensure equal time for the two candidates.

I wouldn't be opposed to each party providing a fact checker for the debate though, that would probably work out pretty well and not slow the pace of the debate too much.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    What's the actual quote from Chris Mathews? If, for example, Chris Mathews said that it wouldn't be neutral for Lauer to intervene in the debate by being a third voice bringing additional information, then that would be true. The debate is between the two candidates and it is up to the two candidates to fact check the other's statements and rebut them. Lauer's role is to provide the questions and ensure equal time for the two candidates.

I wouldn't be opposed to each party providing a fact checker for the debate though, that would probably work out pretty well and not slow the pace of the debate too much.
    The forum format didn't allow for one candidate to call another out for a lie until well after its made. If the reporter is just going to sit there and let lies pass without pointing them out as such then what difference does any of this have from a dolled up stump speech?

It wasn't a debate. Lauer was the only one who could point out the lies. And Lauer completely dropped the ball, giving Trump yet another unchecked opportunity to lie to everyone.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    It wasn't a debate. Lauer was the only one who could point out the lies. And Lauer completely dropped the ball, giving Trump yet another unchecked opportunity to lie to everyone.
    He remembered how to do his job when he didn't like the answer Clinton gave on the latest email whatever, but Trump gets graded on a curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The forum format didn't allow for one candidate to call another out for a lie until well after its made. If the reporter is just going to sit there and let lies pass without pointing them out as such then what difference does any of this have from a dolled up stump speech?
    It was so much worse.
    It gave the appearance of being checked when it wasn't.
    Fuck Matt Lauer right in the ear.
    Last edited by BrerBear; 2016-09-08 at 07:52 AM.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

It was so much rose.
    It gave the appearance of being checked when it wasn't.
    Fuck Matt Lauer right in the ear.
    He's always been an embarrassment to his profession. Should stick to what he's capable of, talking about bullshit diet fads on a network morning show.

He remembered how to do his job when he didn't like the answer Clinton gave on the latest email whatever, but Trump gets graded on a curve.
    To be fair though, I don't think anyone who hasn't been lobotomized by media propaganda likes any of her answers on the email issue.

So either she is telling a lie here, or the director of the FBI lied to congress.

Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

...what difference does any of this have from a dolled up stump speech?
    Not much really. Presidential debates never were much different from stump speeches except that someone gets declared the winner of the debate. But hey, I didn't watch it I'm just looking at the statements being made and wondering when fact checking became an expectation in moderation.

Again, not that I'd mind it, I may actually watch a debate if there were live fact checking being done.

Such terrible candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    To be fair though, I don't think anyone who hasn't been lobotomized by media propaganda likes any of her answers on the email issue.

So either she is telling a lie here, or the director of the FBI lied to congress.

It wasn't a debate. Lauer was the only one who could point out the lies. And Lauer completely dropped the ball, giving Clinton yet another unchecked opportunity to lie to everyone.
    Fixed it /10char

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post
    Fixed it /10char
    You obviously didn't watch the forum. Lauer kept throwing hardballs at her and chased her down to feast on her corpse, Trump was being given yes or no softball questions and the only thing he followed up on was his comments about Generals and then let it slide.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Not much really. Presidential debates never were much different from stump speeches except that someone gets declared the winner of the debate. But hey, I didn't watch it I'm just looking at the statements being made and wondering when fact checking became an expectation in moderation.

Again, not that I'd mind it, I may actually watch a debate if there were live fact checking being done.
    Chris Wallace already said it is not his position to fact check candidates. The rest are expected to follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    You obviously didn't watch the forum. Lauer kept throwing hardballs at her and chased her down to feast on her corpse, Trump was being given yes or no softball questions and the only thing he followed up on was his comments about Generals and then let it slide.
    Yup, clearly since my opinions don't match your own bias I must not have watched it. k

Would you be happy if he let Hillary lie too? Also you posted this in the wrong forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I think we'd ll have been happier had he not let anyone get away with blatant falsehoods. But you support Trump, if I recall correctly, so you must be enjoying nothing but lies. I am sure they make you sleep better at night than reality would.
    No, if he would be happier with neither side getting away with falsehoods he wouldn't have mentioned Hillary.

There are state primary elections in 4 days. Can someone tell me what it's about or what I have to do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    There are state primary elections in 4 days. Can someone tell me what it's about or what I have to do?
    State primaries are like the presidential primaries but for state and local positions. We got a sample ballot before our.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I wonder how long before this goes mainstream on the Clinton is dying hypothesis that keeps coming back over and over again.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300325065.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    I wonder how long before this goes mainstream on the Clinton is dying hypothesis that keeps coming back over and over again.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300325065.html
    Note : The AAPS is a small collection of right-wing crackpots, not any sort of professional association like the AMA.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Note : The AAPS is a small collection of right-wing crackpots, not any sort of professional association like the AMA.
    Clearly Clinton needs to release her medical records to put this conspiracy to rest, and just to be fair Trump should do the same.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Clearly Clinton needs to release her medical records to put this conspiracy to rest, and just to be fair Trump should do the same.
    Because if the last 30 years have taught us anything, its that conspiracy theories about the Clintons go away when they're proven false