10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up WoW Subs back up to over 11 Million.

From the front page of MMO-C:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

With Azeroth on the brink of destruction, heroes from around the world were summoned to drive back the Burning Legion’s armies last week with the launch of World of Warcraft®: Legion™, the sixth expansion to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Today, Blizzard announced that players have forged a truly formidable defensive front—as of the expansion’s first full day of launch on August 30, more than 3.3 million copies of Legion had sold through, matching the all-time record achieved by previous expansions and making it one of the fastest-selling PC games ever. In addition, World of Warcraft’s launch-week player concurrency climbed to its highest point since the 2010 launch of the Cataclysm expansion, as champions from around the world united to strike a mighty first blow against the fel invaders. But the battle has only just begun.
    World of Warcraft had 11.5-12 Million players at the beginning of Cataclysm.

Looks like Legion has proved to be the expansion to bring the game back to its glory days. Good times ahead!

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post

With Azeroth on the brink of destruction, heroes from around the world were summoned to drive back the Burning Legion’s armies last week with the launch of World of Warcraft®: Legion™, the sixth expansion to Blizzard Entertainment’s acclaimed massively multiplayer online role-playing game. Today, Blizzard announced that players have forged a truly formidable defensive front—as of the expansion’s first full day of launch on August 30, more than 3.3 million copies of Legion had sold through, matching the all-time record achieved by previous expansions and making it one of the fastest-selling PC games ever. In addition, World of Warcraft’s launch-week player concurrency climbed to its highest point since the 2010 launch of the Cataclysm expansion, as champions from around the world united to strike a mighty first blow against the fel invaders. But the battle has only just begun.

Looks like Legion has proved to be the expansion to bring the game back to its glory days. Good times ahead!

Discuss.
    "Concurrency" doesn't equal subscriptions. Any simpleton knows that.

How in the world have you not been banned yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Although it is optimistic, concurrent players does not mean subscribers. Concurrent only means the number of players online at one time.
    @Aridnz[/CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Legion is the worst expansion of all, no doubt

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    WoD was the worst expansion of all, no doubt
    Fixed it for ya
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridn View Post
    Although it is optimistic, concurrent players does not mean subscribers. Concurrent only means the number of players online at one time.
    Ahhhh I did not know that.

I would assume subscriptions are pretty well up though given the highly positive reactions that Legion is getting right now.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

Discuss.
    Not necessarily subscriptions. Since I've left, I've gotten several 7 day offers from Blizz to entice me back.

Also, keep in mind that WoD started at 10 million subscriptions (they didn't use flaky language back then)...and dropped down in 1/2 within 6 months.

And they said they wouldn't tell us how many subs anymore lol. I guess only when it's good. I'm happy to see it getting back up there... I had a friend join after not playing since wrath, good times to be had.

Discuss.
    That must mean Cata was the best and the glory days of WoW, time to update your list for expansions.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    And they said they wouldn't tell us how many subs anymore lol. I guess only when it's good. I'm happy to see it getting back up there... I had a friend join after not playing since wrath, good times to be had.
    To add to this, and I know its anecodtal, I have friends that i havent seen online for several years come back to the game. I know for a fact that 3 havent played since TBC, and now have come back.

My friends list is waaaay bigger than even the beginning of WoD and that was when it was at 10m subs.

15+ Year Old Account

Discuss.
    I wouldn't readily jump to that conclusion yet. Yes, Legion both brought a lot of old school lore and flair to WOW and refined much of what flopped in WoD, but let's not forget that WoD had a similar spike in subs leading up to the launch and an equally precipitous drop three months in. We'll never know the final numbers now that Blizzard withholds them, but it's how many of those subs are retained through the lifespan of Legion that truly matters. That all being said, Legion is looking a lot more promising than WoD did at being able to retain subscribers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    Um, you do realize they never told us subscribers right?

How in the world do people not know what concurrent means...

Ahhhh I did not know that.

I would assume subscriptions are pretty well up though given the highly positive reactions that Legion is getting right now.
    They are always up at the beginning of a new xpac, the question is where they go from here. Actually subs isn't something we should even be looking at right now. Concurrency apparently is the new metric.

Take a look at the server list, its like 90% low pop, a handful of mediums and like 3 high pop realms.

Concurrency =/= Subs

Oh look another Jaylock thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    While concurrent does not mean subs, with that new data and the numbers of orders on day one and with pre purchases in-line with WoD (Unless pre-purchases are accounted as day 1), it's safe to assume that the sub number is pretty high.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    Take a look at the server list, its like 90% low pop, a handful of mediums and like 3 high pop realms.
    They did upgrade their servers to hold more players but yeah they are still low pop for the most part which is why they are so aggressive with CRZ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    "Concurrency" doesn't equal subscriptions. Any simpleton knows that.

How in the world have you not been banned yet?
    And world of Warcraft is still a subscription based game. Tokens are still paid for and count as subscribers. I doubt a huge amount of those players are free trials. I'm not saying the baiting post is valid, but I'm sure subs went up a lot for Legion's launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are not doing subscription threads any longer and this thread is a good example why. Concurrency does not equal subscriptions.

Closed.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."