Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    The worst part of Montreal media is that their media is all time Hab greats. So it carries a lot more weight than Toronto media. They had a panel on Le Antichambre where everyone had at least two cup rings. They wore all their rings when the Habs missed the playoffs last season.
    And most of them I am sure won their rings before there were 30 teams. People need to be realistic with how much more competition there is these days. Montreal last won a Cup in 1993, and proceeded to implode after the incident with Patrick Roy. The odds of Montreal winning a championship in the next decade are very slim, as slim as any other team.

The problem with Toronto media is that they are mostly just a bunch of journalists with no actual hockey background who think they are experts at analyzing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I hope Weber can avoid angering the piranha tank that is the Montreal sports media lol.

Dude's going from a pretty calm hockey market imo, Preds fans love their team and all and you can see it at the arena, but holy fuck I don't think any market compares to Montreal and it's ever staring and watchful eye on everything the Habs do lol.

His first fuck up is going to be a "We Traded Subban for This?!" headline.
    It's one reason from my understanding he wasn't really all that thrilled about being traded. I think he has grown to like the much more quiet tone in Nashville. Lots of guys do, mainly because seeing superstars was an every day thing here. You could go to the grocery store and see some of the biggest names in music, or they be sitting in the restaurant next to you. We tend to leave them alone when they are out with friends and family, and considering how it is in some places that has got to be a nice change.

I think he will be fine though, my guess is he probably just ignores it and goes on for the most part. He never has been a huge media relations guy to begin with.

For anyone who missed it

World Cup of Hockey:
    * FIN/SWE Maata snipes it to end the games with a win for Finland in OT
    * Laine was put on right wing (I believe he is typically left wing?) and seemed to be struggling with North American ice; he had one good shot through traffic
    * Sweden took penalties non-stop and Finland took a few; start of the game felt more like a powerplay exchange
    * Rinne looked very good compared to how he played last year
    * Even though it was just exhibition, a Finnish ref likely cost Sweden the game; ref seemed to be basing no goal call on IIHF rules even though this is supposed to be NHL rules (offensive player with foot in the crease was the reason for the no goal)
    ^In addition to the above I believe they mentioned they will be using NHL refs in the games that count so hopefully goals are correctly called

Not sure what happened yet in first two periods of Russia/Czeck, but Russia is leading 4-2 (puck just went off of Russian defender into their own net and then just now Panarin sets up a teammate for a goal) with a bit left in the third. I believe North America plays at 8pm EST for anyone interested in rooting for or watching the under 24s.

OT rules: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-a...145748194.html
    Tiebreaking rules: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/world...rnament-rules/ [Warning: Video auto-start because TSN)
    Last edited by Greeney; 2016-09-08 at 07:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the NHL is actively trying to recruit some of the European refs. Which is why they are bringing them over.

I believe the NHL is actively trying to recruit some of the European refs. Which is why they are bringing them over.
    That wouldn't be a problem, but they would have to be better trained on NHL rules so they don't end up making costly errors and be able to admit when they make a mistake because of it. If a goal like that was waived off in a game that counted fans would start throwing things on the ice.

Only caught bits of the NA vs Europe game last night, but holy shit did NA ever skate circles around the old guys (from what I saw). Will of course be flipping between the Canada/USA game and the Jays game tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Only caught bits of the NA vs Europe game last night, but holy shit did NA ever skate circles around the old guys (from what I saw). Will of course be flipping between the Canada/USA game and the Jays game tonight.
    JVR sitting tonight so lost a lot of interest as he's the only Leafs player I'd like to see play.

Europe looked like they barely came to play outside of Kopitar, Hossa, and Halak; Chara looked like he was watching everyone else go supersaiyan and fly around him. I can't recall seeing anyone else on Europe even matching North America's 4th line. Didn't like some of Eichel's passes he made in front of the net, but offensively him and Gaudrea are a force and it's crazy that next game those two will be with McDavid. Matthews looked good controlling the puck, but he wasn't as noticeable as anyone mentioned beforehand, Scheifele, or his linemates (MacKinnon, Hopkins); I'm wondering if that's mostly because he's not use to playing Wing and trying to be a mix of both positions. Drouinn and MacKinnon going to be reunited next game it seems and Matthews will be a winger again with Scheifele and Saad. Reilly looked really good playing Ekblad last night too. It's going to be really hard for teams to keep up with N.A.'s speed for a lot of teams.

Mike Fisher is our new captain, glad to see. Thought he should have been the guy all along anyways.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man, Torts was so cocky before the first game, and they only won by a goal, then proceeded to get their asses handed to them in the second game. Tavares looked pretty good in that one.

N.A. just scored 3 goals in 2 minutes or so; Matthews with an assist on the first goal.

Team EU is looking terrible thus far.

Curious to see how NA will do in their group stage against teams like Finland and Sweden.

EU is going to get destroyed in Group A unless they somehow get a lot better.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

It was like waching the flash race against a turtle. Chara is really looking slow when he's on the ice.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    lovin team NA so far

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I haven't been following the World Cup much, no Kessel? No Kovy? Hard the believe the Russians have 12 forwards better than Kovy

Kovy really dropped off from what I recall; I remember reading something about his team (healthy) scratching him in the playoffs and then they went on to win a game? People were discussing whether he would return to the NHL.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...te-deal-in-may

It doesn't really matter though, Russia has some of the best offensive talent but their defenseman can't really compete with Sweden, Canada, or North America. Until they fix that they'll disappoint on an olympic/world cup stage against NHL calibre players.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2016-09-16 at 06:08 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    damn USA got SMOKED by Europe

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Not nearly as badly as we slaughtered the Czechs last night. Jesus, 3 goals in the first period, that goal by Burns was such a dirty snipe off the draw that caught Neuverth totally asleep.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2016-09-18 at 06:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Halak plays for Europe. Neuverth plays for the Czechs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    If the US loses to Canada on Tuesday, they might not even make the Semifinals lol.

That game against Team EU was atrocious. I guess Torts needs to rethink his lineups, benching Byfuglien was stupid.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Halak plays for Europe. Neuverth plays for the Czechs.
    Herpaderpadoo

I must have already been drunk when I was listening to the game last night because I swear they kept saying Halak.