15+ Year Old Account

Most passive tank? Need an Alt

Does Prot warrior make anyone tired after tanking for awhile? Just curious. I haven't mained a warrior since BC. I'm loving it, dont' get me wrong, but after about 3 or 4 dungeons, I just feel spent. I felt like this playing a BrM before.

Anyways, I just want to ask, which tank is the most passive tank? I love tanking, but I like having a "lazy man's" tank as backup for those raid nights when I just feel tired.

If most say that a warrior IS the most passive, then I'll just have to admit I'm getting old lol. Hopefully that isn't the case.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Im not happy with BrM either but ill play it if my group needs it. IMO BrM has the most lazy and unimaginative design for their artifact perks. Least you get some cool abilities.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

10+ Year Old Account
    It may be boring but Prot Warrior is the best tank hands down right now. Ignore Pain is just way to good to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by tru View Post
    Im not happy with BrM either but ill play it if my group needs it. IMO BrM has the most lazy and unimaginative design for their artifact perks. Least you get some cool abilities.
    BrM however is definitely not the most passive one.

Guadian druid. Healers won't notice if you got afk for a bit.

Least buttons to press, if that's what you're after, is probably Blood dk.

Deleted
    If have to go with guardian aswell, easy to grab add aggro and simple priority rotation. Keep an ironfur or 2 up and youre good to go

Deleted
    I would not call prot passive at all, we have alot of buttons off the GCD and many things to track simultaniously. I don't have much reference to other tanks but the playstyle feels very active to myself even if ignore pain might not be the most "fun", but that is another discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Murkkan View Post
    I would not call prot passive at all, we have alot of buttons off the GCD and many things to track simultaniously. I don't have much reference to other tanks but the playstyle feels very active to myself even if ignore pain might not be the most "fun", but that is another discussion.
    His whole point was that prot warrior is the LEAST passive. Did you even read his post?

Deleted
    From what I've heard, Paladin. But I haven't played it so I can't confirm.

Personally my new alt is a Demon Hunter and while it isn't extremely passive it's not hard to play either and feels like a good alt for me to be honest. But each to their own. If I had a lvl 100 Paladin I would've leveled that and played healer as alt instead (Silver hand artifact = awesome?) but I cba to play through old content now. DH as of now has been a good alt class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zots View Post
    It may be boring but Prot Warrior is the best tank hands down right now. Ignore Pain is just way to good to pass up.
    Boring? I'm guessing you aren't doing mythics or something, because prot warriors have to 'try hard' to make sure shield block and ignore pain are up as much as possible, because if not then we get hit really hard (not saying that it is difficult, but if we slack for a bit then it's really obvious). Compared to the other tanking classes, we probably have one of the most involved rotations.

I'd guess paladin is the most passive, as it looks like you hit whatevers off cooldown, but I haven't personally tried it this patch.

(Also I just hit 666 posts... \nn/)

Deleted
    I'm getting RSI from spamming devastate so much, alongside keeping track of all my cooldowns. deffo not boring

you are getting old. But i remember hfc hc random tank druids asking at mannoroth after getting killed "what do you mean with def cd", more than once. So for lazy best bet would be druid, but warrior isnt that much to spam , basically its devestate + shieldslam and revenge if up, and keep block and ignore pain up. Its really not that exhausting, and i find tanking more relaxing than dps at the games current state.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    His whole point was that prot warrior is the LEAST passive. Did you even read his post?
    Did you? Read that last part again, maybe it will make sence. Basically he is seeking confirmation, and that is me giving it.
    Last edited by mmocc755f473b1; 2016-09-09 at 12:16 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybridpsycho View Post
    From what I've heard, Paladin. But I haven't played it so I can't confirm.

Personally my new alt is a Demon Hunter and while it isn't extremely passive it's not hard to play either and feels like a good alt for me to be honest. But each to their own. If I had a lvl 100 Paladin I would've leveled that and played healer as alt instead (Silver hand artifact = awesome?) but I cba to play through old content now. DH as of now has been a good alt class.
    Umm, definitely not DH. I'm maining one and I have more buttons than I can bind. I even went so far that I've decided to go for passive talents since I have too many buttons.

Probably you will want a paladin. You can not really screw it up by bad rotation, unless we are talking high end content. Most of paladins abilities are damage centric, instead of mitigation. So in the end, it is possible to tie half of them to a single key bind and spam them randomly, without it affecting your damage mitigation and tanking in general. Some find it boring and a bad design in general. But if you are looking for an easy mode, there might not be a better candidate,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    you are getting old. But i remember hfc hc random tank druids asking at mannoroth after getting killed "what do you mean with def cd", more than once. So for lazy best bet would be druid, but warrior isnt that much to spam , basically its devestate + shieldslam and revenge if up, and keep block and ignore pain up. Its really not that exhausting, and i find tanking more relaxing than dps at the games current state.
    If you play your warrior like that it would be boring yeah.. but you could also play any class and any spec that way.. Just ignore all other buttons you should press in your rotation.. Think you could improve a lot if you just look up the other spells in the warrior arsenal.. There are good guides on the warrior forum for that.. Also the artifact traits give you more to react to and use properly..

On topic: Druid is the most passive tank and with low skill required to play ok.. Warrior has lots of buttons if you play correctly.. but because they are kinda overpowered you should also be ok using less buttons on easy content.. until nerf hammer ofcourse.. The rest of the tanks are very reaction based on health drops..
    Last edited by mmoc87fa1b710b; 2016-09-09 at 01:33 PM.

I agree it's druid. Just like all tanks he actually has to be played actively to get a good performance, but it suffers the least from a passive playstyle. Its mastery gives a passive bonus and it's armor as only passive defense is quite high, so even getting hit from behind is less punishing than for the shield tanks. And unlike DH, DK or BrM he gets his heals from elsewhere and does not have to press those buttons.
    In fact you can just charge into a group, press thrash and go get a drink from the kitchen without giving the healer any significant stress.

If you play Paladin you can just roll your head back and forth across the keyboard and tank pretty much anything up to Heroic raiding.

Deleted
    I won't echo the suggestion, that Prot Palas are passive and they are a faceroll class. I won't deny that you can play one like that and still be effective... when you outgear the content. But in any challenging situation (not overgeared, bad healer) you have to exactly know when to use what.

What you are looking for is most probably the Guardian Druid. Simple and straightforward priority rotation. Easy to understand and usable defensive CDs. No resource management issues.

But for me personaly playing warrior is energizing. It's very mobile, I always have something to press and I have a CD for every situation. Only DK artifact ability is cooler