Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    While I loved MoP, the reveal trailer was god awful and may have hurt sales to some degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always had the theory that it had something to do with people's unreasonable argument of, "oh, it is panduhland", "oh, it is a childrens game" etc etc, without even having tried it. Then again, if people don't wish to, then they won't.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanjin View Post
    panda hate
    This, there was so much bitching about Pandaren pre-release. Then you had the trolls saying "hurrdurr kungfu panda" all over the forums, official and otherwise. Meanwhile anyone who actually played the expansion knew that there were many serious themes and stories being told, while the marketing completely failed to convey any of that. If you looked at just the marketing for MoP, then looked at Dread Wastes, you probably wouldn't think that the Dread Wastes was part of MoP.

So yeah, attitude and marketing are primarily responsible for MoP having relatively weak launch sales. The entire last tier of Cata really didn't help either.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2016-09-09 at 11:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Cataclysm - 3.3M First Day, 4.7M First Month
    Mists of Pandaria - 2.7M First Week

do you people read
    Be feared, or be fuel

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people I knew just weren't interested in MoP, and there were two main reasons:

1) It didn't seem to signal a break with the various terrible design decisions in Cataclysm (too many to list here).

2) The lore and setting seemed deeply un-Warcraft-ish. I mean, this applies totally to casual players as much as or more than hardcore ones. I know tons of casual people who were excited by WoD or Legion adverts/info/concepts, but MoP just sent people packing - Pandamen and faux-Asia? With the bonus of both the Horde and Alliance leaders being lame jerks?

Quote Originally Posted by BigChillin View Post
    2. There was not one memorable raid in the first tier of MoP. Like, even Highmaul felt much more like a raid than the first tier of MoP (I don't even remember the names of those raids).
    Well said. I re-ran a bunch of them recently and good god they're dull! Visually dull, dull bosses, dull concepts - awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquetto View Post
    Malygos phase 3.
    Interesting. So where do I get a red drake mount like that one (that can attack, heal and shield itself) for use in other raids and the open world?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dark Knight View Post
    Cataclysm - 3.3M First Day, 4.7M First Month
    Mists of Pandaria - 2.7M First Week

do you people read
    Yup, but it would appear you don't.

Even after being on sale for a full week MoP hadn't sold as many copies as the other expans had in just one day, the fact they had sold even more by the end of the month isn't particularly relevant.

Pandaria is the most beautiful continent thou.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    So with the new sale figures, I noticed that 3 expansions after WotLK sold just as much during tis first day... with the one exception of MoP, which did far worse. 3.3M first day versus 2.7M first WEEK:

What could have halted this expansion from doing as good as the others? Is it just the pandaren theme which people may find ''childish'', or is there more to it? Maybe patch 4.3 performed so bad that people massively lost interest, but then I could say the same thing for patch 6.2, but apparently Legion still managed to perform just as good for its first day.

Simply because of this.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Pandaz r gay and for fagg kidz

pretty much
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thankfully I like most of this new one.

Pandaland was a blatant attempt at tapping into the Asian market. It wasn't wow, it was an Acti-Blizz business decision. After cat flopped, driving away what was left of the peak subs left from TBC/vanilla who played into. Wrath to kill Arthas... They had to do "something". I got some top kills and unsubbed for 3years skipping it. I kinda wish that I hadn't... It was a pretty xpack with alot of content. But it tasted like the pile of shit it was.

2factors. Cat sucked. Asian market pandering.

Thematically it was a bit weird. Especially the way they marketed it. It was just weird. Turned out ok though, but many people never found that out I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Thematically it was a bit weird. Especially the way they marketed it. It was just weird. Turned out ok though, but many people never found that out I suppose.
    The raids were good, that's what you mean by turned out good?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    The raids were good, that's what you mean by turned out good?
    Thematically it turned out ok too. I was one of the panda haters, but the expansion itself was actually very beautiful and fit pretty smoothly within the game itself.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    So with the new sale figures, I noticed that 3 expansions after WotLK sold just as much during tis first day... with the one exception of MoP, which did far worse. 3.3M first day versus 2.7M first WEEK:

What could have halted this expansion from doing as good as the others? Is it just the pandaren theme which people may find ''childish'', or is there more to it? Maybe patch 4.3 performed so bad that people massively lost interest, but then I could say the same thing for patch 6.2, but apparently Legion still managed to perform just as good for its first day.
    Pandas, simple answer.

Also @ShiyoKozuki, agreed... completely. I just wish things went a bit differently after Wrath...
    Permabanned on WoW since April 14th 2015, main acc I had since vanilla gone and trashed for no good reason, 6+ years later still banned with more appeals resulting in my BATTLENET games being suspended for a month eachtime I try making TICKETS because I'm asking for help with the perma ban. Blizzard has stopped caring for their first veteran players and would rather we leave, considering the Lawsuit, can you afford to keep peps banned even for so long under questionable circumstances?

worst wow theme ever. Somethings was good, MOP wasnot bad in all aspects, but the theme wasnot popular

Pandas + Asian theme + People already annoyed because of Cata

I missed the xpac because I started in WoD, but while leveling one of my characters I played throughout MoP quests and it looks gorgeous and has a very interesting story. Its a shame that the marketing wasnt well thought, this and the fact that it came right after cata (which seems to be real bad judging by the quests and the raids).

Deleted
    Pandas and shitty theme. That's the only right answer. The rest are details.

People disliked Cataclysm and gave up on WoW, and then found out about Pandas and hated it even more without even playing it and therefore didn't buy it.

Still can't wrap my head around people hating Pandaren SO much that they can't/ won't play but yet are totally fine with fireball throwing space goats, werewolves, shape shifting trolls, line dancing cows, mad scientist gnomes/ goblins, magic vampires (Blood Elves) and 10,000+ year old purple elves...