Poll: V

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Both sides are correct in this, because I agree that WoD was unengaging, which is especialy sad, because they had such a good source material to work with. But all the big names of the Horde and most of them never did anything.

Cata was a mess on another level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, seeing they were both crappy I have a hard time voting. It's WoD, don't get me wrong, but Cataclysm wasn't that much better. Well, it was, Firelands was great and I enjoyed several of the new zones, but DS and Caverns of Time kinda ruined it for me. Sure I miss the old levelling zones, but they were outdated and needed updating. I also have some hatred towards Pandaland, but that's probably partially caused by my guild falling apart (and the Asian theme). Also because it was a grindfest, but which expansion wasn't? Warlords was great at sucking out all the fun and "social" aspect of the game though, I could in no way enjoy the raids and the professions... no... just no.
    I like what they've done with Legion though, I've waited for this piece of lore since Wrath, but I still need to wait for the first hard nerfs (DH/rogues) and the raids to become available. And sure, I will never ever love something as much as TBC and Wrath, but those were the expansions when I still could go full nerd-mode and maintain several characters instead of having to pick my main when a new expansion comes out.

Deleted
    Cataclysm

Bop: Hey did you know Blizzard wasted thousands of dolars revamping the whole world of Azeroth with thousands of new quests, secrets and references?
    Steve: Cool but we are already level 80
    Bob: ...
    Steve: So what else is new?
    Bob: Nothing

Best expansion ever
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-09-09 at 01:49 PM.

Deleted
    This may be completely personal but there was something in WoD other than the obvious that since the start was absolutely unispiring to me and with time it just drained my will to play very quickly aswell, was wondering if people felt the same.

I'm a only Horde player, doesn't mean that I don't have ally characters but not max level or close, not because the edgy reasons of I hate the alliance or anything like that, really just becasue I like horde races better and friends.
    As a horde only player I stuck with frostfire ridge, I barely played WoD, but if I would it would be for years. Frostfire ridge was absolutely unispiring and draining to me I really do hate it as a zone (quests and leveling there is cool). The colour palat is pretty much white and red with stones, so freaking bland it was awful to spend countless hours there in the Garrison and Shipyard. During the whole course of WoD I questioned myself all the time how a better experience would it be If I played alliance and stuck with Shadowmoon, which not only fair to say more pleasing to the eye, but it is I don't know also more things going for it.

To make matters worse, Warspear and Frostfire ridge the two places you would spend most time on if Horde are pretty much the same except the snow, very bland, same buildings just awful. I have no idea how the Ashran equivalent to the alliance looks like, maybe it is also the same but yeah you get the idea.
    Super draining to me as a horde player, sucked my will entirely to play and gear up my character and what not. Fortunatly with Legion I'm not stuck with loktar ogar for years again

Cataclysm was bad but had many contents

WoD was bad and had nothing for a year

Deleted
    WoD for me. No flying for a year and extremely long patch 6.2

The 6.2 wait was 13 months (excluding prepatch). 4.3 patch was "just" 9 months.

Cata also had a fair deal of content outside of raiding. Dungeons were good, 4.3 heroics were great, Molten Front was outstanding.
    Transmog in 4.3 was a huge hit, while its not content it drove people back to older raids en masse.

The only real upside of WoD I can think of is the WoW Token. I always had a ton of gold, this token made WoW free to play for me. I haven't paid a single euro for a sub since 5/2015.

WoD was way worse by miles. In fact, save for Deathwing , Dragon Soul and The Stupid Legendary Daggers I think Cataclysm was a fine expansion. It even had the best leveling experience and the best talent system IMO

7+ Year Old Account
    WOD was utter garbage. Across the board, BAD.

Cataclysm had some good to decent raids. (Sinatra was a blast, as was al'akir.

I didn't like the redone world, but I loved uldum. (Twilight and Hyjal sucked/was a letdown.

DS was a terrible raid.

7+ Year Old Account
    Cataclysm.

It was the first real chink in this game's armor. Yes, a lot of people say that Burning Crusade was a pretty big disaster, but it seems to be fondly remembered for the most part to this day. WoW was still rising in popularity when it was current. (I didn't play in BC so I cannot comment directly.)

As someone else noted above, Cata had multiple negative long-term effects on the the game because of the way that the devs fiddled with various systems such as how guilds work and raid lockouts, which resulted in trickle-down social ramifications across the game. It's the time period when medium to small server communities began to die.

As the encounter designers were pushing the notion of "hard" content on us, the story and quest team stripped the world of all challenge and need for exploration. A breadcrumb system of quest design was installed where we were all given leashes and led like kindergartners through dull, homogenized content that was designed to get us to level cap the most efficient way possible, with no chance of stumbling on some side quest that might distract us from that goal.

End game itself was mostly a system of unremarkable dailies, designed to keep us busy and for casual players a chance to get raid-level gear and a few other goodies.

The only really memorable content to come out of Cata is the PvE content, which is mostly pretty darn good. Even the Hour of Twilight dungeons stand up quite well next to the dungeons from MoP and WoD.

In contrast, Warlords did not actively harm this game, I don't think. It may have lost the developers a lot of trust and that is of course harmful. But the devs didn't fiddle with the core systems of the game in quite the same way with Warlords as they did with Cataclysm. With Cata, they did more than change the aesthetics of the old world; they changed nearly everything. That's why so many people want a vanilla server back. Those people might not even care if it is a vanilla patch, specifically -- they'd be happy with a server that was pre-Cata.

Wotlk->Mop->TBC->Vanilla->Cata->Wod

My wild guess would be that legion is gonna be equal or slightly better or worse than Mop, but not better than Wotlk probably.

In addition I want to add that although Wod was the worst of the worst, we can just forget it right now and continue with better stuff. Cata changed the whole beautifull vanilla world into destruction. I would love to see thousand needles not flood, I would love to see old barrens back etc. etc.
    Last edited by Ninthelora; 2016-09-09 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninthelora View Post
    Wotlk->Mop->TBC->Vanilla->Cata->Wod

My wild guess would be that legion is gonna be equal or slightly better or worse than Mop, but not better than Wotlk probably.
    why was MoP considered good

10+ Year Old Account
    I hated on Cata for different reasons. I didn't dislike the content, just the way the raiding model ended up trashing not just my own guild, but many others on the realm; causing a lot of friends to stop playing. Firelands was like a supreme low point - we did end up finishing strongly though, so I actually have pretty fond memories of Dragon Soul even if it did go on a bit too long. Throw in Warlocks being something of a mess throughout and it wasn't the most fun over all.

WoD though, it was isolating, empty, and didn't have enough to do outside of the raids, of which HFC wasn't the most inspired. Mythics and Timewalking came too little, too late. It was the one that made me quit.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2016-09-09 at 02:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I want to say Cata, I'll have to go with WoD, as it actually made me quit.
    On the whole I enjoyed them about the same, but by the time WoD rolled around I'd just gotten bored of the game in general.

Cata wasn't a very good expansion, but it had its moments.

WoD was just bad all the way through. Even the launch was disastrous.
    Last edited by Coronius; 2016-09-09 at 02:16 PM.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoTorres View Post
    Cataclysm was bad but had many contents

WoD was bad and had nothing for a year
    IIRC dragonsoul lasted 14 months ? while i agree Cata was a better expansion, your arguement is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    why was MoP considered good
    Themewise, -although some people don't like panda's- the whole asian vibe was awesome. The art and zones were beautifull.
    All classes were far more complex then now (snapshotting etc.) Yes there was button bloat, but some specs felt really simple after mop. Raids were good imo. We got 3 new battlegrounds, which is imo far better than trashran. The legendary questline was cool. We had 2 great hubs.

Smile

Class design was at its best in Cata. Took a nose dive in MoP.

Deleted
    Pandaria is the worst expansion ever, unless they would make an expansion with ponies.

WoD is fresher in people's minds, so its worse ofcourse!

Deleted
    I tend to remember quite well how much I enjoyed/disliked an expansion and while the raiding was better than Cata, the rest wasn't. So even tho I disliked Cata quite a lot - WoD is still on the bottom of my list.