Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Bethesda Blames Sony as PS4's Fallout 4, Skyrim Mods Put on Hold

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bet...GSS-05-10aaa0b

Fallout 4 mods have now been available on PC and Xbox One for months, while PS4 support--originally slated for June--is still nowhere to be seen. Bethesda not-so-subtly hinted Sony was holding it up previously, and now it's confirmed that is the case--and mods aren't coming until Sony changes its mind.

"After months of discussion with Sony, we regret to say that while we have long been ready to offer mod support on PlayStation 4, Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim: Special Edition," Bethesda wrote on its website today.

"Like you, we are disappointed by Sony's decision given the considerable time and effort we have put into this project, and the amount of time our fans have waited for mod support to arrive. We consider this an important initiative and we hope to find other ways user mods can be available for our PlayStation audience. However, until Sony will allow us to offer proper mod support for PS4, that content for Fallout 4 and Skyrim on PlayStation 4 will not be available."

PS4 mods were available in beta back in June, but they ran into some serious problems, prompting a delay. Weeks later, Bethesda vice president of marketing and PR Pete Hines sent out a series of tweets about the wait, saying the company was working with Sony and that mods were "under evaluation." He also responded to several tweets and hinted that Sony was the one holding things up.

"We continue to try and get an update so we can share something. We still haven't gotten one," he said in July. When someone suggested keeping fans in the dark was a poor idea, he replied, "I don't disagree. We have explained that to 'others' so we can get/share an update. So far it hasn't worked." Asked if those others are people at Sony, he concluded, "I'm not going to get into specifics. If I was able to have an open dialog and explain what's up, I would have long ago."
    More recently, he indicated in an interview that Bethesda was still trying to make mods happen.

"It's definitely not that we've decided not to do it; we absolutely, positively want to get PS4 mods out as fast as humanly possible," he explained.

Returning to today's statement, Bethesda offered no timeline for when things might change, saying only, "We will provide an update if and when this situation changes."

It's not an optimistic sentiment, though it seems possible--now that Bethesda has pointed its finger at Sony--that public outcry could put additional pressure on Sony to give Bethesda the headroom it desires.
    WTF sony what happen to for the players. I was really looking forward to getting the Skyrim Remaster just to fuck around with mods.

Ya I know you can mod on pc and bla bla bla, but I mainly console game and loved the idea. This is just another odd choice by Sony.

Not a fan of this at all.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bet...GSS-05-10aaa0b

WTF sony what happen to for the players. I was really looking forward to getting the Skyrim Remaster just to fuck around with mods.

Ya I know you can mod on pc and bla bla bla, but I mainly console game and loved the idea. This is just another odd choice by Sony.

Not a fan of this at all.
    Yeah, I feel this will hurt their sales of the Remaster. But over all, it's not that big of a deal. At least not until modding on consoles becomes more wide spread.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Yeah, I feel this will hurt their sales of the Remaster. But over all, it's not that big of a deal. At least not until modding on consoles becomes more wide spread.
    Ya ill be waiting to buy the remaster now. The only thing that has me interested in the remaster now is the DLC (since I didn't play it) and platinuming the game if I decide to.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Has Sony commented on the issue?

10+ Year Old Account
    I can take a few guesses why they don't allow it. For better or worse Sony does have a very controlled environment and guidelines for software and 3rd party(I guess?) mods are going to be very hindered by those. Then there's the whole open software leads to more hardware/software cracking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow. What a cluster.

Okay, I'll just buy the Skyrim Remaster for Xbox One instead. /shrug
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I can take a few guesses why they don't allow it. For better or worse Sony does have a very controlled environment and guidelines for software and 3rd party(I guess?) mods are going to be very hindered by those. Then there's the whole open software leads to more hardware/software cracking.
    Yep and I think that's one of the reasons they don't have a early access setup like XB1 and Ark isn't on ps4 yet. The developers of Ark outright said they got a version ready to go but Sony won't approve it.

When it comes to stuff like this they remind me of Nintendo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    This is why I've been moving away from consoles recently after playing on them exclusively for most of my childhood.
    They're so far behind PC now, not just in graphics but in everything, Sony being too stubborn to accept console mods is proof of this.

Meanwhile I get the entire game for free . /smug

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep and I think that's one of the reasons they don't have a early access setup like XB1 and Ark isn't on ps4 yet. The developers of Ark outright said they got a version ready to go but Sony won't approve it.

When it comes to stuff like this they remind me of Nintendo.
    In my opinion it's a necessary requirement, it sucks to an extent but just look at the amount of garbage on Steam and you'll see what I mean.

You cannot have good mods without the xxSE, which is not available for consoles anyway. So it is not a big issue.

In my opinion it's a necessary requirement, it sucks to an extent but just look at the amount of garbage on Steam and you'll see what I mean.
    I disagree, because steam could monitor the games hitting early access and stop all that junk from getting on there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree, because steam could monitor the games hitting early access and stop all that junk from getting on there.
    Well... that's the kind of thing, monitoring it means that there's going to be some sort of regulation, which is exactly what Sony is doing. The stark contrast is mainly Sony's is really stringent and Steam has absolutely none. If Valve actually starts monitoring it, even if it's relatively loose, it'd be imo a great thing cause holy shit so much garbage in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was going to get it for the X1 anyway, since my PC can't really handle newer AAA games and I don't have a PS4 to begin with.

Still though, dick move by Sony. Dick. Move.
    Last edited by Sfinna; 2016-09-09 at 07:33 PM.

Well... that's the kind of thing, monitoring it means that there's going to be some sort of regulation, which is exactly what Sony is doing. The stark contrast is mainly Sony's is really stringent and Steam has absolutely none. If Valve actually starts monitoring it, even if it's relatively loose, it'd be imo a great thing cause holy shit so much garbage in there.
    I wouldn't call outright saying no as monitoring something tho.

I will admit we don't know the detail's but Sony could be a bit more loose and Steam could monitor a hell of a lot better.

Like with Nintendo for Sony there just isn't a middle ground.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-09-09 at 07:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't call outright saying no as monitoring something tho.

I will admit we don't know the detail's but Sony could be a bit more loose and Steam could monitor a hell of a lot better.

Like with Nintendo for Sony there just isn't a middle ground.
    I can see why it's an all or nothing for them. Early access in particular is imo already a dumb thing, and they have no idea if it'll ever be finished and what not. Whether you hate or like a game, at least you know they're finished games. Also you can insert slippery slope argument, not sure if it is a slippery slope at this point cause Steam kind of already proved that.

I can see why it's an all or nothing for them. Early access in particular is imo already a dumb thing, and they have no idea if it'll ever be finished and what not. Whether you hate or like a game, at least you know they're finished games. Also you can insert slippery slope argument, not sure if it is a slippery slope at this point cause Steam kind of already proved that.
    True and I can understand if it was Joe Blow Indie developer but this is a AAA company. You would think they would be a bit more lax with a AAA company.

True and I can understand if it was Joe Blow Indie developer but this is a AAA company. You would think they would be a bit more lax with a AAA company.
    Why? Bethesda has stated they want a completely open system for users to submit mods, which means that there will be zero control over them. It wouldn't matter if this was a first time indie game or a proper AAA game from a known and respected publishers, they're asking for something Sony won't grant anyone, and I can completely understand why Sony wouldn't want to open their platform up to it.

Disappointing, but it makes sense from a business standpoint and it's in-line with Sony's decisions thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Why? Bethesda has stated they want a completely open system for users to submit mods, which means that there will be zero control over them. It wouldn't matter if this was a first time indie game or a proper AAA game from a known and respected publishers, they're asking for something Sony won't grant anyone, and I can completely understand why Sony wouldn't want to open their platform up to it.

Disappointing, but it makes sense from a business standpoint and it's in-line with Sony's decisions thus far.
    I agree a bit but doesn't mean I have to like it.

well, there goes my only reason considering picking up remastered skyrim.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.