10+ Year Old Account

Installing graphics driver crashes windows

Just installed Windows on a computer I just built, for the third time. In every part of the installation, my screen as gone blank and nothing happens for at least 15 minutes so I restart and try again. I get to different points each attempt. I have actually logged in, but windows began searching for a graphics driver, and then my screen went blank and windows played the "something unplugged" sound and then froze solid.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Windows 10, Radeon HD 7950

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Try plugging the monitor into the mobo until you're done installing/updating everything.
    I have tried that but the monitor won't even come on with onboard graphics for some reason. I fear the graphics card could be broken, just built two identical PCs and the other one is working fine, but this one is having a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    I have tried that but the monitor won't even come on with onboard graphics for some reason. I fear the graphics card could be broken, just built two identical PCs and the other one is working fine, but this one is having a hard time.
    Go in to BIOS and make sure the on-board is not disabled.

If the other is working fine, have you tried the graphics card giving you problems in that one? If you do have a faulty piece of hardware, it could be the PCI slot on the Motherboard or something else with the Motherboard, not the Graphics card itself. So test out the graphics card in the other PC to see if it really is the graphics card before returning it.

To me it looks more like a memory problem then a GPU problem, if you can try with 1 mem stick or one from the other pc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I reinstalled windows using the onboard graphics and it works fine, I put the graphics card in and back to black screen. Switched graphics cards with second comp, the other comp now black screens right after bios and my computer now runs perfectly.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought these graphics cards used, I knew it was a risk so I figure it's probably the graphics card that's faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    Ok I reinstalled windows using the onboard graphics and it works fine, I put the graphics card in and back to black screen. Switched graphics cards with second comp, the other comp now black screens right after bios and my computer now runs perfectly.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought these graphics cards used, I knew it was a risk so I figure it's probably the graphics card that's faulty.
    Yup, if the graphics card fails in both machines, must be the graphics card.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Go in to BIOS and make sure the on-board is not disabled.
    Just a tip. Dells used to be bad about this. If you add a video card to the mobo it disables the on board card and there is nothing you can do about it. Its the on board or the add one card(s).

From what you've come up with. I'd say yes its the card. RMA it or return.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Just a tip. Dells used to be bad about this. If you add a video card to the mobo it disables the on board card and there is nothing you can do about it. Its the on board or the add one card(s).

From what you've come up with. I'd say yes its the card. RMA it or return.
    Vast majority of motherboards have an option for that, Auto (or Enable if no external GPU detected), Enabled and Disabled. Discussing prebuild trash shouldnt even be a topic here.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Vast majority of motherboards have an option for that, Auto (or Enable if no external GPU detected), Enabled and Disabled. Discussing prebuild trash shouldnt even be a topic here.
    Oh wait. So if someone came on here with a computer that mom or dad bought them. And they were asking for help we should just throw them out and not help?

Or wait. Someone might be new to computers and building them. Maybe they are starting with a "pre-built" computer to learn.

Oh vast majority.... well my point is still valid as there are SOME still that don't have the option to do this.

How about we throw out the elitist technos out instead?

15+ Year Old Account
    What? I dont even .... are you fin serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Oh wait. So if someone came on here with a computer that mom or dad bought them. And they were asking for help we should just throw them out and not help?

Or wait. Someone might be new to computers and building them. Maybe they are starting with a "pre-built" computer to learn.

Oh vast majority.... well my point is still valid as there are SOME still that don't have the option to do this.

How about we throw out the elitist technos out instead?
    Can't really help if the motherboard is designed around buying a new one everytime you need to upgrade.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Can't really help if the motherboard is designed around buying a new one everytime you need to upgrade.
    How does that even compute? If you need more light in your room, do you go buy a new house? No, you just add another lamp.

I don't... You do know that even prebuilt computers have that option in their BIOS, right? And a few others to boot?

Either I'm misunderstanding, or I've put far too much effort into this conversation. Wonder which one it is.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

It depends on how often you upgrade......... I think you've gone off into some weird tangent....

I think I'll just leave this alone and just let it be.....