Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    It happened in a town of 6000, would hardly call that an inner city.
    /facepalm
    He's not talking about the city in Texas, he's saying in general this happens in inner cites ie Detroit, Chicago.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    Someone somewhere will find a way to blame white men....probably Endus.
    Probably a white guy who sold the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Glocks still have a safety. It's pretty much impossible to fire a Glock unintentionally. It just doesn't have a switch that goes between "SAFE" and "FIRE".
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Yeah they do.....its on the trigger.....so keep your booger hook off the bang switch and you're fine. For the record they had NDs with revolvers with heavy double action triggers too. It's not a gun issue it's a training issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Glocks have a manual safety. My dad had one. I assure you there was a safety on that handgun.
    Glocks (and many other striker fired handguns) do not have a true manual safety. They may have a "trigger safety" which pretty much just keeps the weapon from discharging if it's dropped or from other mechanical shock. They do not prevent someone from drawing their weapon while slipping their finger into the trigger guard and pulling out thus shooting themselves in the leg - which is what the person I responded to mentioned (shooting self in leg).

I don't like Glocks for this very reason.
    Just a little bit of recreational reading on the subject if you're interested. http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2015/05...ement-mistake/
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2016-09-09 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Glocks (and many other striker fired handguns) do not have a true manual safety. They may have a "trigger safety" which pretty much just keeps the weapon from discharging if it's dropped or from other mechanical shock. They do not prevent someone from drawing their weapon while slipping their finger into the trigger guard and pulling out thus shooting themselves in the leg - which is what the person I responded to mentioned (shooting self in leg).

I don't like Glocks for this very reason.
    Just a little bit of recreational reading on the subject if you're interested. http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2015/05...ement-mistake/
    Glocks have a trigger safety and a drop safety. That is 2 more safeties than a double action revolver have. And you dislike Glocks/M&P/SigP320/HK VP9 because you can't keep your finger off the trigger till you're ready to shoot? Maybe you need some training. All the gun "accidents" I have personally witnessed were with 1911s and CZ style guns.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Glocks have a trigger safety and a drop safety. That is 2 more safeties than a double action revolver have. And you dislike Glocks/M&P/SigP320/HK VP9 because you can't keep your finger off the trigger till you're ready to shoot? Maybe you need some training. All the gun "accidents" I have personally witnessed were with 1911s and CZ style guns.
    As said, the trigger safety is (like the firing pin block safety) a drop safety, not a manual safety. It is disengaged during the normal operation of the gun (i.e. pulling the trigger) rather than requiring it to be disengaged before firing the gun through a different action.

It is a perfectly safe gun, as in it will not discharge on it's own through dropping, but as an old (Colt Pony) manual says "warning, if gun is loaded and trigger is pulled, gun will fire". It is a "safety", it is not a "manual safety". A S80 1911 has a manual safety, a firing pin block safety and a grip safety, as an example. Other guns used to have magazine disconnect safeties, some liked the idea that you could make your gun safe by simply removing the magazine.

In any case, for the other poster, the reason you have a gun without a manual safety is because you do not want anything between you and firing the firearm when needed. When you draw your gun, you do not need to remember to disengage that manual safety. Hit youtube and I'm sure you can find videos of folks that drew their gun and pulled the trigger and did not fire because they forgot their little lever.

No matter which safety your gun has, you need to learn the tool you're using rather than assuming it works like something you've used elsewhere or seen on tv.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, most current revolvers have a firing pin block. They don't need the trigger safety because they don't run with 5lb pulls.

And most negligent discharges I've seen or heard of were Glock related, mostly folks wanting to "decock" their gun. An entirely unsafe and useless system that many Glock owners use for piece of mind. Loaded magazine, empty chamber, trigger pulled to demonstrate that it is empty chamber. A standard 1911 and a standard Glock have similar trigger pulls, and most 1911 nd's I've heard of were also someone trying to decock since the hammer being back looks dangerous to some people.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

I have no issues with keeping my finger off the trigger. I've even recorded video of myself during a 1.5 hour training session in order to review myself and check to ensure I'm not one of the 20% of people that will put their finger on the trigger no matter how much training they receive. I carry a weapon with a manual safety because I'm often around young children of a size that can and will reach and grab me around the waist. I want no chance of an accidental discharge. I've trained enough that I have pure muscle memory to draw and switch the safetey to fire while I'm coming up for my sight picture.

If all of the accidents you've personally witnessed were with 1911s and CZ style guns then I suggest that you and or your acquaintances acquire some training. Glocks are pretty much commonly known to have the highest numbers of accidental discharges. This is not just because of the lack of a manual safety but also due to the light weight and short trigger pull.