Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

America's Secret War in Laos Uncovered

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=41968017

This week, Barack Obama became the first sitting U.S. president to visit the Southeast Asian nation of Laos. In making it his last stop on his last official trip to Asia, Obama wanted to turn the page on this painful chapter of U.S. history.

During the height of the Vietnam War, the U.S. conducted another war in secret in Laos, on Vietnam's western border, in an attempt to destroy communist supply lines. More bombs were dropped on Laos than over Germany and Japan in World War II combined. From 1964 to 1973, Laos was one of the most heavily bombed countries per capita in history.

However, 30 percent of the bombs dropped did not explode, and to this day, armed and active devices litter the country. Since the bombings stopped, tens of thousands of Lao have been killed or maimed by this unexploded ordnance, and 40 percent of the victims are children.

More than 40 years after the war, one-third of the country is still contaminated by unexploded ordnance — an ongoing cost of war that affects the Lao people daily.

As Obama makes his historic visit, ABC correspondent Bob Woodruff travels across Laos, meeting victims new and old bearing witness to the legacy left behind by America’s secret war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The DNC is a private organization, and they're free to "collaborate" to elect whoever they like to the leadership of their party. There's literally nothing illegal or shady about it.

Did you just... make a thread whose title matches an article title, and then copy paste the entire article as your body?

I'm not saying there's a problem with that, but did you just?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraide View Post
    Did you just... make a thread whose title matches an article title, and then copy paste the entire article as your body?

I'm not saying there's a problem with that, but did you just?
    Yes I did, because there's not much else to expound upon? It happens frequently on here.
    The DNC is a private organization, and they're free to "collaborate" to elect whoever they like to the leadership of their party. There's literally nothing illegal or shady about it.

Ah, so to discuss on topic then:

That's a pretty clickbait title, making it sound like there is currently a secret war in Laos and yet another reason to hate the current government, when in actuality there are remains of a war we are well aware of from the past. Yet, since so many people read titles and move on, you know somewhere somebody is actually asking somebody "Did you hear about the secret war in Laos? I read about it online! (insert current opinions that really should be past opinions here)"

That's a pretty clickbait title, making it sound like there is currently a secret war in Laos and yet another reason to hate the current government, when in actuality there are remains of a war we are well aware of from the past. Yet, since so many people read titles and move on, you know somewhere somebody is actually asking somebody "Did you hear about the secret war in Laos? I read about it online! (insert current opinions that really should be past opinions here)"
    Yeah because it's common knowledge to most americans that their country went to war with Laos and dropped more bombs on Laos than were dropped during the entirety of World War 2. NOWHERE does the title suggest that the war is currently going on. "Uncovered" brings to mind digging up something long and forgotten.
    Last edited by Invrlose; 2016-09-11 at 01:22 AM.

The real secret war has been in South Sudan and other parts of Africa during the Obama administration.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I think the last time we attacked Laos was in 1970 or so.

The US president just got back from a visit to Laos, he was well received. Maybe you should send this article to Laos?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think the last time we attacked Laos was in 1970 or so.

The US president just got back from a visit to Laos, he was well received. Maybe you should send this article to Laos?
    Um, thanks for telling me exactly what the article says.

This just in giant letters have attacked the nation of laos It is said that they have states Known information OP could not be reached for COMMENT

infracted - minor spam
    Last edited by Crissi; 2016-09-11 at 04:03 AM.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    This just in giant letters have attacked the nation of laos It is said that they have states Known information OP could not be reached for COMMENT
    Well that was fuckin' obnoxious. Reported for attempted derailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose View Post
    Well that was fuckin' obnoxious. Reported for attempted derailing.
    You tried to nation bash over info that has been known for years. No secret war happened or that next youre gonna say closing enemy supply lines in ww2 was secrect wars.

You copied pasted an article gave no input or anything. You were blatantly trying to nation bash.
    Last edited by Raptor With a Saber; 2016-09-11 at 02:07 AM.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

7+ Year Old Account
    ...because there's not much else to expound upon...
    Excellent reason to start a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Excellent reason to start a thread.
    Have you not browsed this forum before? Half of the threads on here are just a discussion of copy & paste articles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    You tried to nation bash over info that has been known for years
    Nobody was nation bashing. Sit down. How can I be nation bashing when I didn't add any commentary? Please quote exactly where I was nation bashing. Jesus christ. It's not common knowledge that the US dropped more bombs over Laos than were dropped over Germany during the entirety of WW2. Anyone who tries to make that claim is being dishonest with his/herself.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is it a "secret war"? I thought it was common knowledge...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    How is it a "secret war"? I thought it was common knowledge...
    Ask the average american about their opinion of the bombing campaign in Laos and then tell me how many blank stares you get back.

woah thanks for uncovering this! It was a secret for so long.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Ask the average american about their opinion of the bombing campaign in Laos and then tell me how many blank stares you get back.
    why should they care?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose
    Half of the threads on here are just a discussion of copy & paste articles
    Yep, and it is damned annoying. That is, however, no reason to jump on the bandwagon.

There might have been material in that article that would lead to a discussion, but you didn't put the effort in to lay any groundwork and look where it went.

In my day, it was widely known that the Vietnam Conflict slopped over onto other countries and that often involved heavy bombing. Focusing on how many bombs were dropped overlooks one of the more important parts of the article -- a hell of a lot of unexploded bombs remain and they're still killing people.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    why should they care?
    Nice red herring. To answer the question anyway, you should care that your country bombed a fucking country back to the stone age and has left active cluster-bombs there that frequently maim children.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Yep, and it is damned annoying. That is, however, no reason to jump on the bandwagon.

There might have been material in that article that would lead to a discussion, but you didn't put the effort in to lay any groundwork and look where it went.

In my day, it was widely known that the Vietnam Conflict slopped over onto other countries and that often involved heavy bombing. Focusing on how many bombs were dropped overlooks one of the more important parts of the article -- a hell of a lot of unexploded bombs remain and they're still killing people.
    You mean like the part where I fucking highlighted that says in big bold letters "30 percent of the bombs dropped did not explode and one-third of the country is still contaminated by unexploded ordnance

Nice red herring. To answer the question anyway, you should care that your country bombed a fucking country back to the stone age and has left active cluster-bombs there that frequently maim children.
    It isn't a red herring. I simply mean to say that it doesn't matter whether or not it is common knowledge. 99.9% of Americans alive today had nothing to do with bombing Laos and the majority were not even alive when it happened. There is nothing they can do about it and it has about as much to do with them as every other horrible thing that happens every day on this planet.