Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    We all seem to be along the same track; checking out all the Eredar bosses and mobs we can. I was really intrigued by Thal'kiel's quote, "Watching you hone your craft brings back old memories. I was an instructor, millennia ago. My students were the finest summoners of Argus... until we were betrayed".

Now, with this quote, I've been doing a lot of lore checking and trying to find other places we haven't looked, or other mobs we haven't seen, in search for more clues.

• One source says Thal'kiel started playing around with dark magic & demons resulting in greater power.
    • We also know that one of Thal'kiel's students was Archimonde, who ultimately betrayed Thal'kiel & Argus.
    • Which now leads us to Sargeras, who offered Archimonde and Kil'Jaeden more power in return for Argus.
    • Together, they were all able to take down Thal'kiel, (linking this to his betrayal, stated in his in-game quote).
    • After Thal'kiel was defeated, they set up his skull as a warning for others. Source says " Mephistroth uses it to enhance his ability to summon and command demon armies for the Legion".
    • Source says, "Mephistroth is one of the many demons summoned by Gul'dan in front of the Tomb of Sargeras to attack the forces of Azeroth in the climactic, disastrous battle at the Broken Shore".

I also read into the actual description of our Artifact Weapon (Spine of Thal'kiel, Skull of the Man'ari), incase anyone was interested in trying to figure this out.
    Maybe I'm on to something here?! I'm probably over thinking this whole thing, but maybe there is some connection...

P.S. I'm not a lore master, so apologies if any of this is somewhat wrong, skewed or not correct. I found my sources through searching: Argus via WoWWiki, Tomb of Sargeras via WoWWiki, Thal'kiel via WoWpedia, and Mephistroth via WoWpedia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post

VO_703_Thalkiel_12_M
    "Ewww, that head reminds me of an upety apprentice I had. Get rid of it!"
    That quote seems like the deficient eredar head would come from Archimonde?

Assuming we have to get them in order of id that could be useful to know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auromnia View Post
    We all seem to be along the same track; checking out all the Eredar bosses and mobs we can. I was really intrigued by Thal'kiel's quote, "Watching you hone your craft brings back old memories. I was an instructor, millennia ago. My students were the finest summoners of Argus... until we were betrayed".

Now, with this quote, I've been doing a lot of lore checking and trying to find other places we haven't looked, or other mobs we haven't seen, in search for more clues.

• One source says Thal'kiel started playing around with dark magic & demons resulting in greater power.
    • We also know that one of Thal'kiel's students was Archimonde, who ultimately betrayed Thal'kiel & Argus.
    • Which now leads us to Sargeras, who offered Archimonde and Kil'Jaeden more power in return for Argus.
    • Together, they were all able to take down Thal'kiel, (linking this to his betrayal, stated in his in-game quote).
    • After Thal'kiel was defeated, they set up his skull as a warning for others. Source says " Mephistroth uses it to enhance his ability to summon and command demon armies for the Legion".
    • Source says, "Mephistroth is one of the many demons summoned by Gul'dan in front of the Tomb of Sargeras to attack the forces of Azeroth in the climactic, disastrous battle at the Broken Shore".

I also read into the actual description of our Artifact Weapon (Spine of Thal'kiel, Skull of the Man'ari), incase anyone was interested in trying to figure this out.
    Maybe I'm on to something here?! I'm probably over thinking this whole thing, but maybe there is some connection...

P.S. I'm not a lore master, so apologies if any of this is somewhat wrong, skewed or not correct. I found my sources through searching: Argus via WoWWiki, Tomb of Sargeras via WoWWiki, Thal'kiel via WoWpedia, and Mephistroth via WoWpedia.
    Actually, you read something wrong. The original triumvirate of Eredar rulers consisted of Thal'kiel, Velen and Kil'Jaeden. Archimonde was Thal'Kiel's apprentice. After Thal'Kiel's powers and associations with the legion were discovered, Velen and KJ confined him to his quarters and forbade him from using demonic magics. Thal'Kiel instead staged a takeover, which Archimonde (because of his ambition) revealed to Velen and KJ. The latter two then ordered him to stop Thal'Kiel to prove his sincerity and loyalty, which he did by beheading Thal'Kiel. It is assumed that Archimonde supplanted Thal'Kiel in the triumvirate ruling Argus after this. All this happened before KJ and Archimonde joined with Sargeras and before the Eredar split into the Man'ari Eredar and the Draenei. Note how most Man'ari Eredar have red skin instead of blue (Archimonde is an exception), while the Draenei still have blue skin. Since Thal'Kiel's hidden appearance also presents him with blue skin, we are led to believe that this was the original skin pigment of all Eredar (red perhaps being a fel-corruption symptom). Thus, the Draenei are also likely candidates for the first drop! However, I still believe that Man'ari Eredar are more likely to drop it because I haven't seen any hostile Draenei in the Broken Isles, nor do I believe that skin pigment would make a huge difference to Blizzard. We're also more likely to find the "best sorcerer's skull" among the Man'ari Eredar rather than Draenei, who prefer to focus on holy magic - even if they can still be mages.

(Your post made me register just to post this, since this thread interests me quite a bit)
    Last edited by mmoc4e162cf897; 2016-09-11 at 02:01 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTower View Post
    Thus, the Draenei are also likely candidates for the first drop! However, I still believe that Man'ari Eredar are more likely to drop it because I haven't seen any hostile Draenei in the Broken Isles, nor do I believe that skin pigment would make a huge difference to Blizzard. We're also more likely to find the "best sorcerer's skull" among the Man'ari Eredar rather than Draenei, who prefer to focus on holy magic - even if they can still be mages.

(Your post made me register just to post this, since this thread interests me quite a bit)
    Your post is what I was looking for in response, sorry about my incorrect lore information! I glided down to the Broken Shore because I was interested in linking what I've found > to this expansion, and yes Tomb of Sargeras is there, but I don't see Mephistroth (I actually couldn't get close enough, and got frustrated trying). I want to believe that our Demonology hidden appearance isn't available yet, and has some correlation to Broken Shore. I too had a thought about the Man'ari Eredar, just because our off-hand is "Skull of the Man'ari", and also it's description.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auromnia View Post
    Your post is what I was looking for in response, sorry about my incorrect lore information! I glided down to the Broken Shore because I was interested in linking what I've found > to this expansion, and yes Tomb of Sargeras is there, but I don't see Mephistroth (I actually couldn't get close enough, and got frustrated trying). I want to believe that our Demonology hidden appearance isn't available yet, and has some correlation to Broken Shore. I too had a thought about the Man'ari Eredar, just because our off-hand is "Skull of the Man'ari", and also it's description.
    Eredar history can really get convoluted with the way it's presented in the game, there's no need to be sorry - some (most?) people in the game don't even know what Archimonde is. I also don't think that it would be on the Broken Shore; that zone doesn't even open up in 7.1 and I doubt they'd release every spec's hidden appearance within 1 month of launch (given how some require you to go to EN) but leave just one spec without it until...7.2+?

Also, given the datamined voice lines, it's clear that we do not recover Thal'Kiel's original skin, so I don't think it would be related to Mephistroth who held his skull since then. Besides, that'd be too easy of a catch; it's in the acquisition story.
    Last edited by mmoc4e162cf897; 2016-09-11 at 02:48 AM.

Deleted
    https://gyazo.com/109944389252168657a07fea0779395f
    found this interesting. Maybe its from Xavius in the emerald nightmare?
    Last edited by mmoc2917e3885f; 2016-09-11 at 02:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardeth View Post
    found this interesting. Maybe its from Xavius in the emerald nightmare?
    That's a voice line from Darkheart Thicket. He's said it to me multiple times there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTower View Post
    That's a voice line from Darkheart Thicket. He's said it to me multiple times there.
    I know that's from there im suggesting based off what he says that the drop might be off of xavius.

Deleted
    I know that's from there im suggesting based off what he says that the drop might be off of xavius.
    That would be incompatible with the datamined voicelines which point to us having to find multiple Eredar Head items (damaged, malformed, nearly satisfactory, etc. until we get the Visage of the First Wakener) - all of which were added to the game in a patch. In fact, I really doubt it is related to instanced content, since his lines in dungeons just seem to be there for flavour.

Deleted
    I don't see anything that suggests it's even remotely related to this artifact skin.

Considering the affliction one has a pretty confirmed drop source but hasn't been looted despite some hard farming, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a low drop chance from some common mob to begin with going by the skulls people have found - it looks like it has a broader start with unfitting skulls and is then narrowed down.

Someone in the affliction hidden skin thread said they got it from Ritual of Doom ..

Quote Originally Posted by lopez1979 View Post
    Someone in the affliction hidden skin thread said they got it from Ritual of Doom ..
    He was talking about the destro skin.

Quote Originally Posted by lopez1979 View Post
    Since they only mention that they got 'a staff' appearance without specifying which staff, it's likely that they're talking about the Destro hidden appearance which is confirmed to drop from Ritual of Doom.

Deleted
    Assuming that the item that starts this quest is in the game (also in Beta/alpha), i find it very odd that noone has accidentally found it with all that farming/killing going on (wquests, reputation grind and what not). That brings me more and more into the conclusion that:

1) The drop is from a source that at the moment isnt the priority list of most people, but still low drop chance (for example archaelogy)
    2) Or it may be a drop from raid content (from a boss or smthing that wasnt killed like 9million times in beta, for example tichondrious would make sence lorewise also), so it cant be obtained now.

We also have no idea where the deformed etc draenei heads drop from. Chances are they wont drop at all till you start the quest line. It would be nice if somehow we could get confirmation that the starting item is obtainable on live, or we are wasting our time..oh well.

Front page currently has some new bits and pieces that I haven't noticed mentioned in this thread. Let the speculation continue!

Looks like we could be looking for a Draenei?

According to the mainpage this is a prerequisite:

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=43796/draenei-spoken-to

No idea what it entails though.

Quote Originally Posted by theblackharvest View Post
    1) The drop is from a source that at the moment isnt the priority list of most people, but still low drop chance (for example archaelogy)
    I spent a few hours on Arch yesterday and came up empty. The common solve for a Malformed Abyssal Head keeps my hope alive.... lol

It seems you have to talk to certain Draenei with the head equipped.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post
    I spent a few hours on Arch yesterday and came up empty. The common solve for a Malformed Abyssal Head keeps my hope alive.... lol
    Were you around felsoul Hold? for some reason i believe that, if something is going to drop either from a mob or arch, its going to be in that area (Since thats the place where you find the skull during the questline).

Ok so a reason to play my Warlock, we get head.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.