Prot not enjoyable anymore for anyone else?

I'm going to be honest as someone who played Prot Paladin for 5-6 years they have in my opinion, Totally different. The rotation is completely watered down, the spells are extremely simplified, The rotation... is legitimately about 4 buttons(Not including cool downs).

I miss holy Power, I miss all the abilities the class once had, It just... its not fun too play anymore.
    I leveled a DH first this expack as I wanted to try something new, and I tried to play my paladin to get it too 110 as a side alt to also raid with. and at this given moment, I cant ever see myself playin' paladin again.

What are your opinions on this? Do you find prot to be as boring as I do with how they redone it for this expansion? Or do you still enjoy it.

To me, it feels like they very much made paladin a extremely noob friendly tank, like way too noob friendly. To the point it has actually made the class boring.
    Last edited by Burnick; 2016-09-10 at 06:56 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is how I feel about all tanks at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnick View Post
    I'm going to be honest as someone who played Prot Paladin for 5-6 years they have in my opinion, Totally different. The rotation is completely watered down, the spells are extremely simplified, The rotation... is legitimately about 4 buttons(Not including cool downs).

I miss holy Power, I miss all the abilities the class once had, It just... its not fun too play anymore.
    I leveled a DH first this expack as I wanted to try something new, and I tried to play my paladin to get it too 110 as a side alt to also raid with. and at this given moment, I cant ever see myself playin' paladin again.

What are your opinions on this? Do you find prot to be as boring as I do with how they redone it for this expansion? Or do you still enjoy it.

To me, it feels like they very much made paladin a extremely noob friendly tank, like way too noob friendly. To the point it has actually made the class boring.
    I guess Blizzard tried to make every tank stupidly easy in Legion in an attempt to increase the tank population. Looks like it has the opposite effect because there are more veteran players leaving than noobs coming.

Don't get me wrong, Im still taking. I find DH Vengence to be extremely fun. I just, im disappointed with paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a long time Protection Paladin, about 9 years I jumped ship with the Legion changes.

I've been maining my VDH, and have been very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

I'd find Prot a lot more enjoyable if blessed hammer either A) weren't the go-to talent on its row or B) looked significant less asinine.

Protection Paladin is in a really great place as far as fun and flexibility. I'm really enjoying the new Prot, and most people I have spoken to about the class seem to like it. There are definitely a few flaws and weaknesses, but we have a very useful toolkit.

Deleted
    I've tried Protection Paladin, Guardian Druid and Vengeance DH so far and the DH is by far the most enjoyable one to play. I guess for me the older tank specs just feel gimped compared to what they used to be like in previous expansions.

Even tho I main ret I do like prot. Do wish some of the CD's was baked in but its whatever.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I really enjoy prot. It's very straightforward to play and has a nice toolkit available.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm loving it now.

I was a Tank DK since WotLK (first Frost tank, and Blood DPS - after they changed it i went with Blood as a tank).
    For me, the Blood DK was most enjoyable during WoD - but because of the actual state of all tanks i rerolled to prot pally.

Why? Because its the only one, which ist GCD locked and has always a solution for every problem.

Deleted
    I dislike prot in any form of easy or outgeared content since the rotation is watered down a lot, but that's basically true for all of the tanks right now in my opinion. My alts are a DK and a Monk and they're okayish. But as soon as I am going to step foot into harder content especially high mythic+ or mythic raids I am going to be very happy, that I picked prot paladin as my main.
    Rotating CDs to stay alive through high damage phases is a lot of fun for me. I couldn't imagine playing my DK,Monk or other tanks like VDHs in these situations as your toolkit in terms of CDs is very limited. I hate getting into situations, where I feel I can't do anything and me surviving is completely up to the healers. I doubt I am going to encounter these kind of situations on my Paladin a lot.

I tanked on Bear, DK, and Paladin in WoD. DK was my main. After the spec changes, I fell more and more in love with my pally. I feel like he has more tools, more specific cooldowns for specific situations. Despite wielding a hammer, my pally is the one who feels like he's operating with a scalpel, while my other tanks are blunt instruments.

I do also enjoy my new Vengeance DH, and plan to develop him as my 2nd toon/1st alt. I like the idea of co-maining Pally and DH because of the yin & yang, holy & fel, do the right thing vs ends justifies means, etc., while on the other hand both are tanks and both of mine have horns and topknots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I'd find Prot a lot more enjoyable if blessed hammer either A) weren't the go-to talent on its row or B) looked significant less asinine.
    I did find HoR more viscerally satisfying than BH, but there are trade-offs. On the one hand, it feels right now like our weapon strikes are just jabs to set opponents up for our shield bash (SotR). On the other hand, BH is kind of a neat counter-part to AS - swirling hammer to compliment bouncing shield - and BH is really handy for dragging mobs during chain pulls as it continues to bop stuff that is following you. Still, it feels strange that our biggest direct melee strike is with our shield rather than our weapon, despite weapon having damage rating and shield not so much. :P

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Burnick View Post

I count 6 on rotation -

Judgement
    Avengers Shield
    Consecration
    SoTR
    BH
    LoTP
    +all 3 blessings.

I always have a lot to use, never have any downtime. Have 24% haste and usually keep up with good DPS players.
    I find it fun, with a few tricks to use to improve the experience for everyone.

If you're wanting to be a poor tank, yes Paladin is your go to for ease of picking everything up
    If you want to be a great tank, Paladin's offer you sufficient abilities to provide invaluable support to your group.

Personally i've found gameplay to be very similar to WoD

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like it, plays sort of like TBC style where most of your damage comes from enemies attacking or being near you instead of you attacking them.

As someone playing the game since release, Prot is easily in the worst position it has been in since late TBC. Outside of the really powerful cooldowns, the rotation is awful and the damage in is very spiky. The self healing isn't great either when compared to other tanks. When I tank on my paladin I feel that it's just a worse version of warrior with less mobility. The primary change I would love to see is the old Holy Shield making a come back. A button you can press to increase shield block and reflect damage to attackers. Right now it just feels awful to play.