Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Amazon.com vs Amazon.co.uk: observation

So, I was trying to prepare a delivery to Europe through Amazon. First, I went to https://www.amazon.com/ which I normally use. After setting the "international shipping available" filter, I saw very few items interesting me; the selection was really-really tiny, compared to the selection with no filters applied.

I then visited https://www.amazon.co.uk/, set the similar filter, and... Whoa, the selection was huge, seemingly almost as big as with no filters applied.

It is like Amazon.com was designed with no international delivery in mind, and the function was added much later and never really paid attention to; while Amazon.co.uk, instead, focused on the international market. Why such discrepancy? It is the same company, after all.

I would assume that this is caused by the differences in geographical location between US/Canada and UK: US/Canada is cut off from the largest markets by the oceans, and Latin American countries aren't rich enough to be a viable marketing target; while the UK is located in Europe, with a very huge and rich market nearby available. However, I would like to hear others' opinions on that.

TL;DR: American Amazon has a lousy international delivery support, while English Amazon has a very good one. Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

It's almost like Amazon.com is intended to sell its wares to North Americans, and Amazon.co.uk is intended to sell its wares to people on the other side of the ocean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The DNC is a private organization, and they're free to "collaborate" to elect whoever they like to the leadership of their party. There's literally nothing illegal or shady about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose View Post
    It's almost like Amazon.com is intended to sell its wares to North Americans, and Amazon.co.uk is intended to sell its wares to people on the other side of the ocean.
    Meanwhile if you live in England you get free delivery while if you're living else where in Europe you have to pay for it, omg what gives?!

10+ Year Old Account
    That is not true to my experience.

There was a watch that I wanted, which is also available on the US Amazon, for much cheaper.

In the end I bought it from Amazon US and even with shipping and such on top, still way cheaper than the one in UK Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Meanwhile if you live in England you get free delivery while if you're living else where in Europe you have to pay for it, omg what gives?!
    omg u mean if a product is in a warehouse in england you pay less delivery if you live in england? what the fuck is this bullshit
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The DNC is a private organization, and they're free to "collaborate" to elect whoever they like to the leadership of their party. There's literally nothing illegal or shady about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, nope, Amazon.co.uk has free delivery across Europe for orders over 25£, I believe. Amazon.com has the same for the US and Canada, but delivery to other countries seems to add quite a bit to the price - expectedly so, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post

There was a watch that I wanted, which is also available on the US Amazon, for much cheaper.

In the end I bought it from Amazon US and even with shipping and such on top, still way cheaper than the one in UK Amazon.
    For expensive items, it might be the case: prices in the US tend to be lower than in the UK, so ordering from the US might make more sense.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Deleted
    Ironically a lot of stuff on amazon.co.uk is sent from china. Sadly the US store has better products, for example bb guns aren't sold on the .co.uk site. Worse than that,when searching for a well known gun maker I now know that there's also a line of sex toys with the same name due to an anal trainer being top of the search results.
    So amazon.co.uk isn't happy to sell airsoft guns but is happy to help people on their way to becoming the next goatse.

Amazon has rights in the US, venture overseas and you're at the mercy of your host country. Amazon is just being cautious.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    TL;DR: American Amazon has a lousy international delivery support, while English Amazon has a very good one. Why?
    Consider that North America is 50 states, Canada, island nations and some territories. That's over 500 million people. The EU is about equivalent in population. Amazon is very good in both of those regions, but can you have any doubt about doubling the distribution from either? That's not even mentioning local laws.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

It is the commonwealth legacy. For example you can get an awful lot of stuff delivered for Amazon UK to South africa, but not necessarily other parts of Africa.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Pretty sure there is NO free delivery outside the UK no matter what the amount is, I've used it many times and I've always paid for shipping, also your country's local VAT percentage will be applied within the EU.
    I've ordered stuff from overseas on Amazon with free delivery but then i'm a Prime member

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread amused me more than it probably should. I blame sleep dep.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post

you mean different items have different deals? no way, somehow USA must be inferior to the good ol EU

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Consider that North America is 50 states, Canada, island nations and some territories. That's over 500 million people. The EU is about equivalent in population. Amazon is very good in both of those regions, but can you have any doubt about doubling the distribution from either? That's not even mentioning local laws.
    dont forget mexico. i know people like to think of them as a 3rd world country but they have plenty of money/people too.

Deleted
    I can't help feel people are taking this personal

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I only use Amazon.co.uk

Also, I love it when I go to the checkout and all that VAT gets dropped right off the price and UK based people have to pay it. Sometimes I love the channel islands.

Deleted
    There is also a german amazon website and guess what, you don't have to pay for delivery either.

So, I was trying to prepare a delivery to Europe through Amazon. First, I went to https://www.amazon.com/ which I normally use. After setting the "international shipping available" filter, I saw very few items interesting me; the selection was really-really tiny, compared to the selection with no filters applied.

I then visited https://www.amazon.co.uk/, set the similar filter, and... Whoa, the selection was huge, seemingly almost as big as with no filters applied.

It is like Amazon.com was designed with no international delivery in mind, and the function was added much later and never really paid attention to; while Amazon.co.uk, instead, focused on the international market. Why such discrepancy? It is the same company, after all.

I would assume that this is caused by the differences in geographical location between US/Canada and UK: US/Canada is cut off from the largest markets by the oceans, and Latin American countries aren't rich enough to be a viable marketing target; while the UK is located in Europe, with a very huge and rich market nearby available. However, I would like to hear others' opinions on that.

You realize Amazon in Europe is the same American company. "american amazon" doesn't have lousy support you have to use the right site that is tailored to your section of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Pretty sure there is NO free delivery outside the UK no matter what the amount is, I've used it many times and I've always paid for shipping, also your country's local VAT percentage will be applied within the EU.
    Yes, it seems like there used to be the option of free delivery for 25+ pounds orders, but it was removed in 2015 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I've ordered stuff from overseas on Amazon with free delivery but then i'm a Prime member
    Yes, for Prime members all deliveries (unless you pick a fast delivery option) are free, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You realize Amazon in Europe is the same American company. "american amazon" doesn't have lousy support you have to use the right site that is tailored to your section of the world.
    They are the same American company, but their product lines are somewhat independent from each other. Much like US vs EU WoW servers.

Recent experiences has taught me, that each of those sites are extremely lousy for delivering anywhere outside their border.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Recent experiences has taught me, that each of those sites are extremely lousy for delivering anywhere outside their border.
    I... I hooonestly don't know what you are talking about!