Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Night Elves are completely unlikable to me. I do in fact main a Night Elf mage though, as I love ancient highborne stuff. Modern night elves and the druidic stuff is so bleh to me. Malfurion is an unlikable prick and Tyrande just fawns over "MY BELOVED" 24/7.

The "Night Elves" that caused the biggest disasters on Azeroth were actually a tight cluster of highborne, not the Night Elves that are part of the Alliance right now. At the time when the highborne did what they did, the Night Elves that are presently part of the Alliance stood up against them and fought against both them and the Burning Legion.

The NE that are part of the Alliance right now are basically all the elves of Azeroth filtered through millenia, leaving only the good ones. In other words, the Night Elves of the Alliance are the best variant of elves Azeroth has ever had.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2016-09-08 at 05:35 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    They are evolved from trolls - that alone makes any of their accomplishments meaningless.
    Are you 100% on this? I thought this was true, but I had a fellow big time lore nerd guildie swearing Night Elves and Trolls aren't related... I swear they're descendants, yes?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    gnomes will rule all, they wait for their moment. they are so powerful race that blizzard is afraid to make up some extensive lore for them.

Deleted
    Night Elves are pretty damn boring and self righteous just like so many characters in this game, its pretty awful. But since we are praised as heroes because we spend 99% of our time slaughtering every living being that opposes the alliance or the horde agenda, then what can you except?

We all know the real cool guys in this game are taurens and dwarves. They always have the best zones. Highmountain is so much cooler than just another night elf zone with the usual flashy forest and roman/greek architecture. But thats just me.

Deleted
    Anything that is responsible for creating 'illidan' can't be right or chosen or whatever.

I don't consider turning Illidan into Illid'an(the chosen one) doing night elf any lore favor. It will be a joke for years to come in fact.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2016-09-09 at 01:09 PM.

How is this not also a win for tauren? Elune is part of their pantheon as well, just by a different name.

Personally, I started playing WoW because of night elves, who historically have received very little focus in game. I think the only race that might have it worse are gnomes. So, I am thrilled they are finally getting some long deserved attention. If I never see another orc or dragon driven story/expansion in WoW it'll be too soon.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    They also delivered some of the most heinous villains Azeroth knows and have orchestrated potentially devastating events on a planetary scale.
    They really didn't. Because all Night Elves who did that aren't Night Elves anymore. They turned into Naga, or Satyr, or High Elves, or Nightborne. The Night Elves that we play, the Night Elves that are part of the Alliance were really always on the right side of history, as OP says. They fought the Legion in the War of the Ancients, they fought the Legion when they returned and they banished magic because it was too dangerous to use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvani View Post
    They really didn't. Because all Night Elves who did that aren't Night Elves anymore. They turned into Naga, or Satyr, or High Elves, or Nightborne. The Night Elves that we play, the Night Elves that are part of the Alliance were really always on the right side of history, as OP says. They fought the Legion in the War of the Ancients, they fought the Legion when they returned and they banished magic because it was too dangerous to use.
    Except the magic isn't too dangerous to use, they just can't handle it. They punished Illidan and he's the Chosen One, savior of the universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Being upset about a race getting lore is pointless as you can get. This is the Night Elves' moment to shine and god knows when this will ever happen again. Let them enjoy the ride before it ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Except the magic isn't too dangerous to use, they just can't handle it. They punished Illidan and he's the Chosen One, savior of the universe.
    It's not about how dangerous it is to use, it is about how dangerous it is in general.

1) It attracts the Burning Legion. It has done so several times.
    2) It makes you addicted. At least when you are dealing with it on the level that the Elves did. This expansion features the best example of that, with the Nightborne and Nightfallen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Being upset about a race getting lore is pointless as you can get. This is the Night Elves' moment to shine and god knows when this will ever happen again. Let them enjoy the ride before it ends.
    To be fair, Night Elves always get their fair share of representation. It would be time to give the Gnomes some love.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not about how dangerous it is to use, it is about how dangerous it is in general.

1) It attracts the Burning Legion. It has done so several times.
    Inconsequential. The Legion was gunning for Azeroth already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    To be fair, Night Elves always get their fair share of representation. It would be time to give the Gnomes some love.
    Yeah, too bad most of that representation is boring as fuck. Night Elves were never interesting in WoW.

Gnomes are a joke race, as much as Goblins. Existing is quite a mercy already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Honestly, I can also see anduin being a chosen one.

Deleted
    SPOILER
    Argus will have a lot of Draenei.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Are you 100% on this? I thought this was true, but I had a fellow big time lore nerd guildie swearing Night Elves and Trolls aren't related... I swear they're descendants, yes?
    The most accepted theory is that NightElves evolved out of a "nocturnal tribe of humanoids" (most likely DarkTrolls) wihich settled near the well of eternity and where transformed to the NE. Much like the Jinju in Pandaria.
    The NEs then proceedd to annihilate every Troll in their way with the magic only they possessed. They pretty much destroyed the Amani Empire. And looking at how Trolls are today there is good reason why they hate Elves and Humans. They have been outplayed by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    First of all, Illidan beeing "the chosen one" isn't an argument.
    Secondly magic is dangerous. It weakens the laws of reality to make the impossible possible. Demons can slip in through those "cracks". And you have to remember that the magic they used before the sundering was by a guess 1000 times stronger. One of the Shan'drala says that it's merely a shadow of the magic they knew.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    Honestly, I can also see anduin being a chosen one.
    Because he is a priest that uses light and shadow spells?!
    Last edited by mmocdca0ffe102; 2016-09-11 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyJester View Post
    They're always on the right side of history, their Goddess trumps all, they've spawned quite a few Chosen Ones (including the biggest one of all)...

Here people were complaining about Orcs, when in fact Night Elves are written to be the master race.
    ???? Night Elves don't even agree on everything, so how can they all be right?
    Night Elves have made some terrible mistakes. They've also accomplished some amazing wonders. It's almost like they are a race full of individual personalities and not all the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    This expansion really did make NE cool again. They were becoming pretty one-dimensional as of late with any variance in character coming from books. It's nice Blizzard can write them as more than just hippy elves.
    Agreed. It's nice to see them developing some racial lore for any of the races. Draenei and Orcs got a lot in WoD; now Elves and to a lesser extent Taurens on the Broken Isles. Not sure what Worgen or Forsaken are getting besides each other.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Chronicle finally confirmed for sure that they are Dark Trolls that were changed by the Well of Eternity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Elune being the single greatest god makes the story boring, all the other mythologies meaningless, and removes any interesting characterization of the Night Elves. Also the "Illidan is Jesus Christ" is the most retarded storytelling I think I've ever seen.

Especially with An'she not being real (the UVG says it's actually just "the light") the Taurens entire culture boils down to "The Night Elf religion, but wrong" and "the Human religion, but wrong" it really sucks.

It is known since a wow magazine released during cataclysm. Quite funny that some people still deny that trolls are the ancestors of the nigh elfs.