Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    If you think you've acquired a cat, the cat will eventually correct that misperception.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

His name is Angus
    He's well on his way to teaching his human how to properly care for him!

Scratch him behind his ears for me.

Forgot to mention earlier: don't plan on declawing the cat, I agree that it is unethical. Watched a documentary about it awhile ago, think it was The Paw Project.

Quote Originally Posted by waldor22 View Post
    Get rid of the cat unless you want brain parasites and a increased risk for depression/suicide.
    I read up on that awhile ago and I don't think it's much of an issue for indoor cats and is more of an issue with individuals with compromised immune systems. But if I start getting sick I will revisit this issue, I don't think I have an allergy or reaction so far. Have been around cats before.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If you think you've acquired a cat, the cat will eventually correct that misperception.

He's well on his way to teaching his human how to properly care for him!

Scratch him behind his ears for me.
    Ha! Will do

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Look up training it to use the scratching post and be sure to keep its nails trimmed. Depending on how you feel about it, you could go the declaw route. But I would personally look into all other options first.
    Do NOT declaw cats. It's not just a simple nail removal like most people assume. They actually amputate the last joint - like cutting off the tip of your fingers. It's cruel, painful and has a long, painful recovery.

Either don't own a cat or buy cheap furniture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by waldor22 View Post
    Get rid of the cat unless you want brain parasites and a increased risk for depression/suicide.
    Utter nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

It's pretty simple. As everyone else has stated... they take care of themselves with the provided tools.

As for your couch... I'd get a scratching post (multiple is better)... a tall one (made of reed... it's a weird ropy material, can't remember the name) so he can stretch all the way. My cat was scratching on both my couches... and while she still does it... it's lessened a lot :P A cat tree also helps. I'd also get him fixed because he'll start spraying sooner or later. And keep his claws clipped, too. Once they develop hooks... they scratch a lot more.

I have microfiber couches as well, and the cat fur clings like no one's business. I'd get a cheap pair of rubber gloves... put it on, and spritz a bit of water on the fur. You can 'rub' the couch, and the fur will just bunch up! Semi-easy way to defur a couch.

Deleted
    May I ask why on earth you are posting on the interwebs and not a)ear tickling, b)opening food, c)dragging a piece of string across the floor at just the right speed?

This is your life now.
    Last edited by mmoc091e535458; 2016-09-12 at 01:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no! I do have blinds and horizontally opening windows, so I'll keep that in mind. Animals can get into trouble in amazing ways, when my dog was a puppy she managed to get her head stuck in the corner of a fitted sheet that she had pulled out of the laundry basket. :/

Need to keep an eye on the cord situation (electrical and otherwise). Sprayed some bitter apple spray on the furniture, I'll likely be doing that on a regular basis for the foreseeable future.
    It took me a week of having my cat to learn that I had to leave her a foot of space at the bottom of the windows that didn't have the blinds covering them so she could look out. The alternative was that she destroyed the blinds when I wasn't there.

I've grown accustomed to it and walk around naked all the time with that bottom foot of my blinds open. If someone cares enough to walk up to my window and bend down to try to sneak a look at my naked body, more power to them I guess. I have had a couple girls comment about the semi-open blinds during sexy times, but they usually stop caring after a couple well placed kisses, and it actually turns some girls on a little.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    It's pretty simple. As everyone else has stated... they take care of themselves with the provided tools.

As for your couch... I'd get a scratching post (multiple is better)... a tall one (made of reed... it's a weird ropy material, can't remember the name) so he can stretch all the way. My cat was scratching on both my couches... and while she still does it... it's lessened a lot :P A cat tree also helps. I'd also get him fixed because he'll start spraying sooner or later. And keep his claws clipped, too. Once they develop hooks... they scratch a lot more.

I have microfiber couches as well, and the cat fur clings like no one's business. I'd get a cheap pair of rubber gloves... put it on, and spritz a bit of water on the fur. You can 'rub' the couch, and the fur will just bunch up! Semi-easy way to defur a couch.
    My cat never scratched my furniture at all. Scratching posts from day 1. But I've read that if they do, one way to deal with it is to either put some double sided tape there temporarily (which cats hate), or aluminum foil.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Do NOT declaw cats. It's not just a simple nail removal like most people assume. They actually amputate the last joint - like cutting off the tip of your fingers. It's cruel, painful and has a long, painful recovery.

Either don't own a cat or buy cheap furniture.

- - - Updated - - -

Utter nonsense.
    Research it and make a decision on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    Research it and make a decision on your own.
    Research it? Don't need too. It's an amputation of the last joint. It's painful and comes with a long recovery that's equally painful. This isn't like research on whether or not you want an SUV or sedan.

There are no pros to declawing a cat and its banned in many countries already along with cropping and docking.

Ps. Not having clawed up furniture or skin is not a pro for the cat.

If this isn't cruel and unusual punishment to you then you have issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post

It's called Sisal. It's a natural fiber rope that most cats are drawn to. It won't tangle or injure their claws and will last forever. It's also easily replaced for a low cost.
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

7+ Year Old Account
    You, sir, are a lucky man!!!!

All you need to know, right here : cat stew recipes

Any advice/tips? Never owned a cat before.

Homeless guy living in a broken down car outside of the grocery store asked if I could take care of him for a little bit, car is along a busy street and he was worried that the cat would be hit by a car. This was a reasonable concern, considering the cat almost got hit by a car while I was standing there talking to him...one year old male, very sweet.

Did some reading up on other parts of the internet/talked to friends, bought some basics (litter box, litter, food, toy), he's been out exploring a bit today but has mostly been curled up on the bathroom counter with his blanket.

Things seem pretty smooth so far, used the litter box without prompting and already getting along with the dog, nose bumps within five minutes of meeting.
    Holy damn Celista. That's like the sweetest thing ever. Taking a homeless man's cat in to care for it.

Advice I would give would be to keep an eye on it at the beginning. Make sure you know where it goes so it doesn't leave surprises that aren't seen for a while. (I had a cat that left a few behind a dresser that I never cleaned behind. Didn't see it until 2 months after she was put down).

Also take some time out of each day to play with it. But not so late that it's still in play mode when you try to go to bed.

Other than that, have fun and feel good about what you're doing for that man.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you were a guy Id tell you get rid of it because @The BANNzoman thinks it will drive away the pussy.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Last edited by AwkwardSquirtle; 2016-09-12 at 02:48 AM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    If you were a guy Id tell you get rid of it because @The BANNzoman thinks it will drive away the pussy.
    Lol.

You're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    You, sir, are a lucky man!!!!

All you need to know, right here : cat stew recipes
    You're a sick #@$%!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    Research it? Don't need too. It's an amputation of the last joint. It's painful and comes with a long recovery that's equally painful. This isn't like research on whether or not you want an SUV or sedan.

There are no pros to declawing a cat and its banned in many countries already along with cropping and docking.

Ps. Not having clawed up furniture or skin is not a pro for the cat.

If this isn't cruel and unusual punishment to you then you have issues.

- - - Updated - - -

It's called Sisal. It's a natural fiber rope that most cats are drawn to. It won't tangle or injure their claws and will last forever. It's also easily replaced for a low cost.
    I didn't say I condone it. But it's up to the person to decide. Not you. You can say you think it's a bad idea but you shouldn't go around preaching your opinions. If the person decided they wanted to eat the cat they can eat the cat. It's not your choice.

If you think that's cruel you might as well not spay or neuter them either.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Celista, you can try something like this to prevent the furniture clawing, see how it works for you https://amzn.com/B00CHGUOOM
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    Don't declaw the cat, it cannot help it, don't go around hurting it just for something that is in its nature. If you think about declawing your cat, you shouldn't be holding any animals...
    Hey OP, most of the advice on this thread is great neutral advice, except for this one. This is opinionated advice. If you want to declaw your cat, feel free to do so. If it was harmful, vets wouldn't do it. Declawing is no different than being spayed or neutered.

Edit: Oh boy, three mod replies, one possibly triggered. I love my cat and have no intention to declaw it, but it's still a valid procedure for anyone to take for their cat. Also, thanks for the interesting finger visual. I don't have claws though.
    Last edited by Kanegasi; 2016-09-12 at 09:32 AM.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Hey OP, most of the advice on this thread is great neutral advice, except for this one. This is opinionated advice. If you want to declaw your cat, feel free to do so. If it was harmful, vets wouldn't do it. Declawing is no different than being spayed or neutered.
    I recently got my cats fronts declawed (didn't want to, but it was that, be homeless or put my cats in a shelter). It was definitely painful for them the first couple weeks, and its like cutting off the fingers past the first knuckle. Then one of them got an infection and had to be taken to emergency vet, and she was on meds for a week and had the cone of shame.

Overall, its not worth it.
    @Celestia: one does not simply accidentally acquire a cat. They acquire you

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onyche...wing_practices

It's banned in several countries. Tons of vets WONT do it, even in the US. So yes it is harmful.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    . Make sure you don't have anything too valuable sitting high somewhere that they might bump down (it isn't always intentional)..
    dont let this man lie to you. its ALWAYS intentional.