Poll: Do You like being your Order leader?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    At least for druid we're not THE leader of the class. Instead we're part of the council of archdruids. Along with Keeper Remulos that's what, 5 other druids? And it seems clear I got there by being the guy who gets stuff done in the field, not for leadership necessarily. I haven't done any other classes except DH but the druid campaign gave me very much a feeling of being part of the whole cenarion circle.

No. Being highly-ranked would be good, but being the leader is awful for storytelling.

The DK campaign demonstrates that perfectly. Without getting into spoilery details: some extremely significant moral decisions are framed as being the Deathlord's (your) choice, but there's no opportunity to actually make a choice. That's a HUGE deal. Darion says "well, I don't want to do this, but if you say so" several times, and that infuriates me. A silent, faceless protagonist is one thing, but having that protagonist make extremely impactful, non-black-and-white decisions without the player's input? That's awful.

If the whole thing was reversed, and we were second-in-command going with someone else's hard choices, it'd be fine. But making us the leader just lumps a pile of shit on an otherwise great story, because it's impossible to give us the agency that we need to make it work.

Even if I didn't have an issue with that, the player is still the least-interesting character to put in this situation, hands-down. What would have been an absolute wellspring of emotional wrestling in Darion's hands is, instead, a bit of a "sure lol" in ours.
    Last edited by Eats Compost; 2016-09-12 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Yes. Given what our characters have done, lorewise, to not put them in positions of power, glory, and authority would be quite frankly insulting.
    It's difficult for me to rationalize that given game mechanics. I mean, first of all, 24+ other people helped in the big/significant situations and were probably more crucial since I'm almost always a dime a dozen DPS. Second, before I outleveled/outgeared them, any given elite mob in any given dungeon or even outside area was more powerful than I was. Now with scaling that's even more true. I am incredibly weak compared to some of the most basic mobs, yet I'm supposed to be pivotal in saving the world (especially with my artifact that lives were literally sacrificed to retrieve). It just seems ridiculous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    You are among well-established characters, the paragons of your specific class, who out of nowhere acknowledge you as the Mightiest Guy That Ever Was, way more capable in strength and leadership skills than any other. You somehow need to accept that your Shaman is THE Shaman, after all those years of boar killing and flower picking.
    Thanks to this I'll be continuing my shaman campaign thinking, "This must've been what it was like for Thrall!" :P
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I honestly don't. Just like I didn't like to become the commander of a big garrison.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I'm not sure how much things change during the class campaigns, but I did the intro on 2/3rd of the classes so far and only few were the leaders. Warriors are champions of Odyn. DKs may be above other Ebon Blade by they follow the will of the Lich King and act as his champions as well. Tirisgarde is reformed by Meryl and I didn't get leadership vibes from the player. Same applies to Priest, just replacing Meryl with Alonsus. Uncrowned are led by Ravenholdt. Hunters I'm not 100% sure. Only DHs and Warlocks are leaders for sure. And for DHs you've already been the leader during the Mardum mission, so it makes sense. As for Warlocks, the Council of the Black Harvest is just that, a council. Now, by how the other members refer to you it's implied your position is stronger than that of the leader of Council of Six in Dalaran, but still, other members may have some sway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

They keep saying I'm the leader, but really Altruis the one doing everything. He's my military commander and I'm mostly just off doing my own thing or occasionally delegating duties. I guess I really am THE BOSS in that respect. At least on my demon hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    I think rogue is haned well. You're one member of a council.
    Totally agree with this.

I thought it to myself that it'd be cool if they did a ranking system for each server for class halls. So, the person with "X" amount of whatever, would be the top person and then there would be other appropriate titles for "X" accomplishments.

Deleted
    I like how the Rogue class order hall handled it.

You're part of a council and your input is as relevant as everyone else's.

I think they all should of been like this where you alongside the rest of the most powerful of your class are banded together and are basically equals.

The Deathknight one is weird where Darion is calling you Deathlord, I'm just like...you're the Deathlord mate let's be honest.

The Warlock one is the only one where it feels natural to be leader as the rest of the Black Harvest got gutted but not many feel as natural.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure? As a hunter, I feel like our chain of command is non-existent. Compared to other Class Halls where you work with established characters and organizations, the Hunter organization was made up for Legion and the characters are mostly stragglers. I don't feel strange ordering around Hemet or Rexxar, and as a Blood Elf Halduron feels natural too.

It's a bit bittersweet, though. Personally our Hall feels dull compared to the other classes exactly because it's just some random lodge up in the mountains.

DK is weird. I'm the deathlord and yet the LK and Darion are bossing me around. Why the fuck I'm even listening to the LK?
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurkov View Post
    DK is weird. I'm the deathlord and yet the LK and Darion are bossing me around. Why the fuck I'm even listening to the LK?
    You're the Deathlord of the Ebon Blade, but you're still loosely allied with the Lich King. Also, the Lich King could probably burn your mind to cinders even from his prison in Icecrown (at least that's the impression he seems to give), so it might be enlightened self-interest on the part of the Knights of the Ebon Blade who follow his directives.

As for Darion after you claim your title he's always given me the impression of being subordinate to the player, but I guess YMMV.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I feel it would only work if it was there ato the beginning.

GW2 and especially SWTOR do that idea better because it was there during their inception. The entire questing experience of, say, the Sith Inquisitor is centered around rising in ranks to eventually be admitted into the Dark Council. Likewise in GW2 you slowly work for your order to become one of its key members, and then help to united the three orders to become the resulting Pact's Commander.

Legion? We just kill a bunch of demons and huzzah, we are the boss now.
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

No, it's dumb as fuck.

Deleted
    No, it's stupid.

Everyone is running around with the same "legendary"/"iconic" whatever Weapon and titles. If they had made us some kind of Champion of our Order - sure, it fits the story right now. But the baddest leader of badassness? No, thank you. Esp. because there is no progression anymore beyond that. What are we going to become later? Gods? Titans?
    It's a singleplayer trope which does (imo) not belong into a MMO.

But hey, at least the Order Halls look (mostly) pretty.