Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Ok thanks!

I will try the arcane language thing later today.
    Nice sheep quest!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Symprios View Post
    Hi,

I don't know if this is relevant, and if not please correct me
    Today I was questing in Surumar and when I was about to die, I got frozen in time with a 14'ish yards arcane barrier around me which healed me for:
    "Your Arcane Barrier healed You 310099 Arcane"
    "Your Arcane Barrier healed You 310099 Arcane"
    "Your Arcane Barrier healed You 155049 Arcane"

I googled it a few times and never saw anything related. Afterwards I didn't have any buff (i.e. Surumar buff).

I'm an arcane mage with 15 points in my artifact, I have unlocked the second appearance (Spinning one).

Can this be something new?
    //Symp

ps. Has anyone tried with the "Mystical Tome: Arcane Linguist" before sheeping and prompting the volatile sheep? Maybe you can understand him!
    Pretty sure the barrier is one of the Suramar buffs. Also I did have arcane linguist learned when I polymorphed the 5 mobs today for the first time, they still said "..."

I've been thinking about it a little more, and I wonder if it might have anything to do with a book called Polymorphic Rules & Regulations. This is a book that used to sometimes spawn in the old Dalaran in place of one of the books needed for the Higher Learning achievement.

It says the following:

Page 1 - "Species altercation has the highest potential for abuse and disaster, and is the source of the most number of complaints to the Kirin'Tor. Polymorphic study has been under constant scrutiny and threat of removal for years, but only recently have these tribulations increased exponentially. In order for this spell to continue to be sanctioned certain guildless must be put in place to throttle the increasing number of tragedies reckless polymorphs have caused."

Page 2 - "Rule# 1: Do not turn a creature of lesser intelligence into a creature of higher intelligence - Cerebral brain function rarely translates in a polymorph... But sometimes it does. Voracious creatures such as serpents and wolves need not have their predatory instincts honed with a human mind. We feel obligated to quote Small Claims Disaster Case 12651-B, Labelled, "Bartholemew: The Bear who Bears Arms."

Page 3 - "Rule# 2: Use simplified creatures for polymorphs - Many rogue mage disciples sanction exotic creature polymorphic studies. But in a desperate effort to lower Kirin'Tor insurance claims we are ceasing to support these types of creatures. Sheep are acceptable creatures for any situation. But there are several other common creature types that are supported (Read the latest edition of the Kirin'Tor Montly for an up-to-date list). Polymorphing into creatures like oozes, ethereals, silithid, and worst of all dragonkin is severely punishable which brings us to..."

Page 4 - "Rule# 3: Polymorphic debaucheries are to be disposed of in a timely and DISCRETE manner - The Public need not bear witness to the horrendous abominations wrought from a botched polymorph. Accidents happn, and the Kirin'Tor understands this. However public viewing of creatures like the Were-Whale, Mur-Elf, Amphibious Worgen, Flying Ooze, Grypho-Hippo-Wyvern, Qiraji Bunny, and the infamous "Blue-Checkered Cube" give us all a bad reputation."

Page 5 - "Rule #4: Do not polymorph a creature into another more powerful creature - While this looks like plain commen sense, we feel obligated to quote Mildly Severe Claims Disaster Case 8791-E, Labeled, "Magus John Quint: Liquefied by Sickly Deer turned Violently Confused Molten Giant."

Page 6 - "Rule #5: Do not polymorph anything that is halfway through a portal - This has yet to not cause an explosion. This is also covered in "Thinking with Portals: A Memorandum on Proper Portal Usage."

Page 7 - "Rule #6: Do not polymorph inanimate objects! - We can't believe the Kirin'Tor is receiving reports of this, but such a heinous act caused the development of the brand new Highly Severe Claims Disaster Case 1-A, "My Kingdom For A Horse: The One Hundred and Fifty Reasons Why A Kingdom Should Not Be Turned Into A Horse." <This goes on for hundreds of pages>"

Perhaps we are meant to break one or some of these rules in order to trigger the event that leads us to Cote Metcalf? Particularly rule number 5, polymorphing something as it goes through a portal. The first thing I can think of are the Nightborne Couriers that always run through Suramar, because they often cross those vertical portals connecting the two levels of the city, but maybe something else can be found in Stormheim, since that's where the datamined quest is directing us.

Edit: I went to Suramar to polymorph the couriers, but they are no longer neutral/attackable. Tried to polymorph another mob after pulling him over the teleportation pad, but nothing unusual happened.

Can't imagine a portal in Stormheim... perhaps in Halls of Valor, in the Fields of Eternal Hunt? Somebody try to polymorph a mob there while going through the teleporter, if possible. Worth a shot.
    Last edited by Coconut; 2016-09-11 at 12:39 PM.

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=111745/enraged-elwynn-sheep

???

checking undead NPCs for DKs and I came across this.

Edit: The volatile sheep that appears when you sheep shit is also classified as an undead and has a very similar model. Possibly related. Hope I found something that helps
    Last edited by Hctaz; 2016-09-11 at 05:46 PM.

Well, the Elwynn Sheep is safe inside the Rogue Class Hall, I couldn't enter it dead or alive, got sapped and ported out. Maybe that's just randomly placed in there for some forsaken npc to test poisons on (I can't check yet, didn't start leveling my rogue)? Or maybe the devs screwed up and put it in the rogue class hall instead of the sewers.

Deleted
    Join us on discord for the hunt: https://discord.gg/VXbTXtG

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    Can't imagine a portal in Stormheim... perhaps in Halls of Valor, in the Fields of Eternal Hunt? Somebody try to polymorph a mob there while going through the teleporter, if possible. Worth a shot.
    Tested this. No go assuming I did it right. Pulled a deer onto the portal and sheeped it many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Arteis View Post
    Tested this. No go assuming I did it right. Pulled a deer onto the portal and sheeped it many times.
    Yeah, that's what I had in mind. Thank you for testing it out.

I still think that polymorph rule book has to be the key. I mean, if we think about it, those Volatile Sheep have to be thematically connected and a logical clue to the next step. A lot of the ideas we've had are very interesting, but mostly unrelated to the Volatile Sheep.

We either need to find one or more of those sheep to trigger an event, OR we need to find a way to make our Polymorph increasingly more volatile, until we manage to or are granted the ability to explode a sheep with it.

I've tried talking to the Gnome who started the quest for Polymorph: Pig, and I've tried sheeping one of the Feral Worgens in Val'sharaj (yes, I know they are for druids, but they could have been shared), to no effect.

I was thinking there could be a hidden location where charging Aluneth empowers your polymorph. I almost never wait around for the full duration of the charge, it would be pretty cruel if you had to do that, and might be why nobody has found it yet. However, I couldn't find any special Aluneth ability name in the wowhead database that would suggest such an interaction.

Did the discord channel turn up anything new? Have any mages tried to form a group and polymorph the volatile mobs at the same time, btw?

So I found a second Aluneth shaped bit of landscape. If you follow the direction the dead sheep aluneth would be pointing you run into this imgur. com /G3JPbag

The easiest way to find it is to go just north of the N in HIGHMOUNTAIN when you have the broken isles map up, as seen below.

imgur. com /RjvL079

links broken because I just made my account tonight to help

Quote Originally Posted by Arteis View Post
    So I found a second Aluneth shaped bit of landscape. If you follow the direction the dead sheep aluneth would be pointing you run into this imgur. com /G3JPbag

The easiest way to find it is to go just north of the N in HIGHMOUNTAIN when you have the broken isles map up, as seen below.

imgur. com /RjvL079

links broken because I just made my account tonight to help
    That's very interesting. The first sign was made of Sheep, this one is made of something Volatile (even though it's not magically volatile). I have to confess, while I did follow the pointer and got to that ship, I thought it was a dead end.

Have you tried following this one? Perhaps there's something on the Highmountain cliffs you can reach with Winds and slow fall from the Stormheim teleporter area.

Edit: Well, if you follow THAT arrow, you get to shelf just south of the Prepfoot encampment, at 60:35 in Highmountain. This is what it looks like:

No hints I can immediately spot there, though, and I can't interact with anything.

Heymanhoof slope is also in the same general direction (though a bit further south), but that's where one of Kosumoth's orbs is, not sure they'd use it for two secrets (and I found no hints at the spot).
    Last edited by Coconut; 2016-09-12 at 11:25 AM.

So I saw over on AT forums that a Shaman hexing these sheep nets the same result from the Volatile Sheep as if you polymorphed them on a Mage, so I enlisted my girlfriend to help out on her Shaman and it seems the sheep do give the "..." result when Hexed..

Unsure what this means going forward, I tried to polymorph after it was Hexed seeing if something unique would happen but no..

http://imgur.com/a/MN62Z

Edit: We were not grouped and I still saw the "Volatile Sheep Says:...." appear in my chat box on my screen which was surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper486 View Post
    So I saw over on AT forums that a Shaman hexing these sheep nets the same result from the Volatile Sheep as if you polymorphed them on a Mage, so I enlisted my girlfriend to help out on her Shaman and it seems the sheep do give the "..." result when Hexed..

Unsure what this means going forward, I tried to polymorph after it was Hexed seeing if something unique would happen but no..

Edit: We were not grouped and I still saw the "Volatile Sheep Says:...." appear in my chat box on my screen which was surprising.
    Have you tried going through all of them like this? Perhaps you should check if the effect triggered via a shaman or a different mage turns out to be daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Maku View Post
    I don't know if this is related to the arcane artifact, but I found a hidden map/image in the mage class hall, right next to the mission board. Has to be viewed at an angle to be visible. http://imgur.com/a/8hBt5
    Could this be related to the flight paths on the Broken Isles somehow?

EDIT : Have we tried sheeping a mob with some kind of "counterspell" buff meaning that she sheep spell would backfire on us?

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so the Paladin's hidden artifact has been discovered and that is obscure as hell...We may never find this

Okay I have done a lot of testing, here is what I found.

1. I tested the theory of using Aluneth to "explode" a sheep. I tested with a hippogryph, kited it to an arcane brazier and waited for the effect to kick in. Turns out this only works out of combat. I invised, immediately got the charge, but zero interaction after that. Hippogryph eventually evade bugged and flew away.

2. I've ran around Broken Isles sheeping critters (with crittermorph glyph). So far nothing, but I'd like to find a huge group of them to sheep.

3. I went into the academy, spent a lot of time in costume trying to interact with everyone. Only Filch has interaction but repeated clicks yielded the same communication every time. I've tried invising in several areas on the off-chance something was hidden and can only be seen invisible.

4. Repeat sheeping mobs seems to waste my time, and possibly annoy the critters.

5. Shepherd isnt up because theres a WQ there today. I have a hard time thinking he may be involved if a WQ takes priority over him.

6. We know Cote has something to do with this, and we know we have to explode sheep. We don't know where Cote is, but I feel like he is going to give us a quest to explode sheep. Also the quest is "Explode Summoned Sheep". I believe Summoned is a key word here. I think that might be the wrong direction, I think we need to find something, or find Cote. Maybe Cote is disguised as a sheep somewhere... Not sure.

7. Now the fun part.... The infamous dead sheep.

Exhibit A:

The sheep are in the shape of Aluneth. The three sheep in the middle are the gold artifacts. Do you need all three golds to be able to interact with this... sheep summoning circle?

I can't post pics, but I will update this when I can. For now, here is a tiny url: jb57ada

Exhibit B:

The sheep are on hay that look like they MIGHT be part of the world map?

Another tiny: zevf3h9

Exhibit C:

If this is a theory, then perhaps by laying this map of northrend over this pile of hay, we see that the sheeps nose is pointing in Storm Peaks.

Last tiny: jbenwbt

I didn't think they were incorporating much old world with the artifacts, but these sheep mean something, and the hay certainly looks like a map of Azeroth. Is this too little of a coincidence?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MindCookie View Post
    Could this be related to the flight paths on the Broken Isles somehow?

EDIT : Have we tried sheeping a mob with some kind of "counterspell" buff meaning that she sheep spell would backfire on us?
    Do you mean spellsteal? I haven't seen much in legion that we can actually "steal"

Quote Originally Posted by Ilvermorny View Post
    Do you mean spellsteal? I haven't seen much in legion that we can actually "steal"
    Not exactly, my idea was more like we cast the sheep lmetamorphosis spell on a mob, and because of the mob's protection (whatever it might be) it backfires on us. You see what I mean? So WE would be turned into sheeps, because of the backfire. (Sorry if my english is not perfectly clear on that matter, I'm french haha)

Quote Originally Posted by MindCookie View Post
    Not exactly, my idea was more like we cast the sheep lmetamorphosis spell on a mob, and because of the mob's protection (whatever it might be) it backfires on us. You see what I mean? So WE would be turned into sheeps, because of the backfire. (Sorry if my english is not perfectly clear on that matter, I'm french haha)
    Ah so like spell reflect... Now theres an idea...

-snip-
    Arteis posted before that the dead sheep point to a sunken forsaken ship with another set of doodads shape like Aluneth:

This in turn points to the closed cave in Highmountain that I posted, although it might be that I stopped to soon and there's something else shaped like Aluneth further into Highmountain or down that same line on the other side of the zone.

It's possible that this is a further step of the quest, and we will find Cote at that camp once the game "officially" points us towards the dead sheep in Stormheim. At the moment, there's absolutely no logical connection between the Volatile Sheep message and the dead sheep other than the inverted play on words, one sign being made of dead "Sheep" and another of "Volatile" barrels (and this may also be some cruel joke made by zone designers to throw us off track :P).

Keep in mind the hunt is supposed to make sense in game, we can't justify something being there based on datamining alone - that's not gonna show us all the missing pieces. At the moment, step one is that our Polymorph produces Volatile Sheep once per zone.

Like I said before, I believe the key here is one of the pages from "Polymorphic Rules & Regulations":

"Rule #5: Do not polymorph anything that is halfway through a portal - This has yet to not cause an explosion. This is also covered in "Thinking with Portals: A Memorandum on Proper Portal Usage."

This is in tune with the datamined "Summoned Sheep Exploded" quest, but it's also suggested by the original step: "Volatile Sheep" = something is not quite right and potentially dangerous with our Polymorph. Now, where exactly could we find something halfway through a portal? Preferably something we can polymorph?

The "Stormheim Sheep Exploded" quest might be a hint, but it might also be a red herring at this point. It might be that we have to explode a sheep somewhere else first, and then, once we discovered this ability, we will be sent to some phased event in Stormheim, and then to the Aluneth shaped pointers and to Cote "Shepherd" Metcalf.

Edit: "Thinking with Portals: A Memorandum on Proper Portal Usage" words that rule differently. It says: Rule #4: Do not have someone who is polymorphed enter a portal. This has yet to not cause an explosion. This is also covered in "Polymorphic Rules & Regulations."

Can anyone check if they can set up using their own portal while polymorphed? By another player (is it possible to do it without triggering combat) or perhaps an NPC?
    Last edited by Coconut; 2016-09-12 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Northrend deserves some exploration based on Ilvermorny 's info. Between the connection with the sheep in Stormheim and Aluneth's connections to the blue dragons.

Ah so like spell reflect... Now theres an idea...
    Exactly, spell reflection! I have yet to see those dead sheeps by myself in Stormheim, but this is all really intriguing. Blizzard must be laughing at us very hard haha!