Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

How hard is it leveling Prot?

Just curious. I just finished leveling my Warrior as prot, it was a little painfully slow to be honest. I wanted to level my pally up for tanking also, but dreading leveling as prot if it's super slow like my Prot war was.

Also, have any of you all leveled in of the other tanks in their respective tanking specs? I have all tanks, except a monk, and I plan on leveling them all.

Thanks.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

I found it easier and faster than ret. aoe damage is pretty good and you can pull a ton of enemies at once. Also very useful to tackle harder enemies in world quests. With reasonable gear you can solo some of the golden dragon quests. Only other char I leveled was a frost DK, didn't touch other tank toons yet.

I am leveling as prot right now on my paladin, currently level 106, and I've found it to be a breeze. You can tank 3-6 mobs at a time and take them down with relative ease. Tanking normal dungeons has not been a problem either. I think you'll find it to be quite enjoyable. Just make sure to take the talent that makes your Hammer ability spin around you (the name escapes me).

you mean leveling 100-110 or 1-110?
    I leveled all my tanks in dugeons till mop/wod content - and as dps in mop/wod content.
    leveled my main prot pally 100-110 as prot and seemed really nice and fast, key being big aoe pulls.

Extremely easy, loved leveling as prot.

Not to mention, as soon as you pull a 10 pack of mobs (what I did) random DPS people show up to finish them off (to also get credit for 10 stacked mobs without taking 1 dmg).
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveled as Prot... Done it a few times tbh. It's SUPER easy.

Tbh once you hit Legion it's almost easier as prot than ret, because Prot is so much tougher and some of the mobs hit HARD.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Unfortunately for ret, prot does nearly as much (in some cases, more) damage then ret right now. I leveled prot, and it couldn't have been easier.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ouch, well good to know. Yes it's a 100 pally I'm talking about. I've never played any other spec other than Prot with him, other than the occasional "I'd like to try Ret" and it would last me all of a hour at most.

Thanks for the feedback.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Prot Paladin dps is insane. I leveled prot, I still quest as prot. Prot only for withered training (interrupts forever) . At ilvl 850 I'm still playing prot more often than Ret even though I'll be raiding as ret and really need to practice. Just unlocked ashes to ashes at lvl 18, took the long way around and need to program the 5hp gain into my brain's autopilot. But damn it if prot isn't still way easier, almost as much damage, and much faster for most things due to being able to pull a giant death ball rather than killing things one by one.

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Just curious. I just finished leveling my Warrior as prot, it was a little painfully slow to be honest. I wanted to level my pally up for tanking also, but dreading leveling as prot if it's super slow like my Prot war was.

Also, have any of you all leveled in of the other tanks in their respective tanking specs? I have all tanks, except a monk, and I plan on leveling them all.

Thanks.
    I found it to be faster tbh. When I'm prot/tank spec with any class I'll pull about x3 x4 the amount of mobs I do as a normal dps class. I'm one of those people who mounts through a entire area, pulls everything then kills it. Things die fast enough and they all die around the same time with AOE. Things do slow down quite a bit when it comes to solo mobs/rares, which can be frustrating, but in the bigger picture, I really enjoy leveling prot.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Leveled as prot and it was superb experience. Simple but effective rotations, great survivability, dmg almost as ret. Reatly fast and fun leveling.

Just when you encounter some world PvP situations you suddenly find out that your damage, survivability and selfhealing is not that good anymore - especially against ranged....
    Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
    Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
    Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."

Leveling any tank is ez mode. Paladins have solid DPS too, so you're both fast and invulnerable.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    on a scale from 1 to 10 where 10 is hard and 1 is easy, its -9999999999999999999999999

It feels pretty great to roll into a new quest area and be asked to kill 15 things....and just round up all 15 at once, kill them all in one swoop and then report back for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I found it to be faster tbh. When I'm prot/tank spec with any class I'll pull about x3 x4 the amount of mobs I do as a normal dps class. I'm one of those people who mounts through a entire area, pulls everything then kills it. Things die fast enough and they all die around the same time with AOE. Things do slow down quite a bit when it comes to solo mobs/rares, which can be frustrating, but in the bigger picture, I really enjoy leveling prot.
    This is some of the most fun I've had in the game in a long time. You start to feel unstoppable.

People owe it to themselves to level tank on a pvp realm. SO OP! so much fun.

Deleted
    You think tanks are slow? try a spriest, shit took me sooo long...anyway i done my paladin a couple of days ago as a tank and could pull around 10-15 mobs at a time and spam my way to freedom took me no time at all to level.

I am 110 and working on world quests now. All of it has been prot. I don't see the point in ret at the moment. Its single target dps is a bit better... But mobility goes to prot. Healing prot. And kill speed when I can pull everything in sight also prot. I get smashed as ret when fighting 3 mobs.

It really makes me not like the pally as much. Been my main since BC but ret feels worthless to me now.

Deleted
    Be careful though. If you level once as a tank you can't go back to leveling as a DPS. Tried leveling my monk as a potential alt as WW, because I found the spec interesting. As soon as I could get the other artifacts I was back to leveling as a tank.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty easy. I level all my characters as tanks.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!