Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    My Stannis alarm went off, whats going down?

- - - Updated - - -

Also Yara/Theon sea battle, Euron captures one of them, Euron and Cersei join forces in Season 7.

Supposedly Euron kills one of the Sand Snakes as well.
    Careful. Do not stir the stannis beast. If you mention his name 3 times a character is rushed to its climax prematurely.

Those sand snakes......shitty dialogue and acting aside. They really could have gotten more out of the show with the dorne story lines.

Now the ending feels really rushed and what I loved about game of thrones was its originality and its one of the few stories I cant guess what will happen so I looked at the end with awe and wonder. Now it feels like it cant finish soon enough and I have no idea why other than maybe D&D being burned out and wanting to do different projects. And if thats true then fuck those guys

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Careful. Do not stir the stannis beast. If you mention his name 3 times a character is rushed to its climax prematurely.

Those sand snakes......shitty dialogue and acting aside. They really could have gotten more out of the show with the dorne story lines.

Now the ending feels really rushed and what I loved about game of thrones was its originality and its one of the few stories I cant guess what will happen so I looked at the end with awe and wonder. Now it feels like it cant finish soon enough and I have no idea why other than maybe D&D being burned out and wanting to do different projects. And if thats true then fuck those guys
    It's hard to hold down actors for 8 years. They're paying them more every season.

My hype for the book is slowly decreasing.
    I don't actually expect it to be out until the entire series has finished.

Dream of Spring? Yeah, we'll never see it.
    Last edited by Tommy T; 2016-09-09 at 08:45 PM.

Yeah honestly at this point I don't think we'll see the end of the books. Martin isn't exactly a fitness guru.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Yeah honestly at this point I don't think we'll see the end of the books. Martin isn't exactly a fitness guru.
    Tbh its about time this books die and the story with them.
    They started so wonderful to become this pile of steamy shait.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Just stop watching the show/reading the books then?

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I think he'll finish alright, just that by the time the final book releases the show will have been long over and enthusiasm will have died down significantly. Fans already know the TV series is set to generally follow the book outline of events, so once the show has wrapped up I imagine many fans will stop zealously waiting on the book series, since they know more or less the answers to all the big questions (R + L = J? Who wins the Iron Throne? What happens to the White Walkers?).

7+ Year Old Account
    The shows don't come close to the level of satisfaction I get from Martin's writings: Martin's character development, character interactions, are far deeper than anything presented in the show. I do watch the show and I do find it entertaining but the books are FAR FAR FAR FAR ad infinitum better than the show will ever be. I'll have a hardcover edition of each of the remaining books the day its available regardless of how long it takes Martin to finish the series. The show? Eh, I've always watched it at my leisure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    You are talking about the show here. The books are great.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope we'll see Casterly Rock next season. From the description I read, Casterly Rock would look much more like the Lonely Mountain or Ironforge than the typical castle on top of the mountain. It is said to be carved from the Rock, with its gates made at the mouth of a natural cave. The Rock itself is higher than the Wall of the Hightower of Old Town. Therefore, I suppose most if its fortifications would be near the gates, as there would be no real need to build high towers and walls on top of such a high and steep mountain. Most of the rooms would be subterranean, with openings on the mountain sides for light and air. I also imagine some terraces. There could be some mansions and gardens on top of the mountain. It would be much different than all we have seen so far.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    I hope we'll see Casterly Rock next season. From the description I read, Casterly Rock would look much more like the Lonely Mountain or Ironforge than the typical castle on top of the mountain. It is said to be carved from the Rock, with its gates made at the mouth of a natural cave. The Rock itself is higher than the Wall of the Hightower of Old Town. Therefore, I suppose most if its fortifications would be near the gates, as there would be no real need to build high towers and walls on top of such a high and steep mountain. Most of the rooms would be subterranean, with openings on the mountain sides for light and air. I also imagine some terraces. There could be some mansions and gardens on top of the mountain. It would be much different than all we have seen so far.
    I was under the impression it was closer to being a medieval mount Cheyenne than Ironforge or Erebor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    I was under the impression it was closer to being a medieval mount Cheyenne than Ironforge or Erebor.
    One does not exclude the other. Although I believe that the dwellings must be higher while the lower levels are occupied by the mines.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

My boyfriend is crazy about this books, I feel lonely now...

Quote Originally Posted by Sooba View Post
    After Denaerys' meeting with Asha (Yara) and Theon, I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps we'll be seeing a more regionally autonomous, interdependent system.
    That is what I thought also when she said she doesn´t want to be at the top of the wheel, she wants to break the wheel. I am betting she goes all democrazy on us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zul View Post
    Apologies if this has already been discussed, haven't visited this thread since the premiere of season 6.

Do you think we'll see a Hodor wight in the future? Considering that he was left to die swarmed by wights, and a lot of white walkers were nearby, including the night's king, it makes sense that he'd be raised.
    In theory he probably does become undead, but on the show, I do not think we will see him again. There was a big cast going away party for him... unlike John Snow. They said goodbye to the actor.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Someone help me out with this. If Ned Stark, taking Jon Snow as a baby, knew that Ned's sister was Jon's mother, why the hell didn't he tell Catelyn? Couldn't she also keep the same secret? Wouldn't it have made an even easier secret to keep? I know that's contradictory - the more people that know, the greater chance the secret leaks, but in this case, Catelyn seems a pretty good bet to keep a secret and would be an excellent ally if something happened later on (you know, like Ned getting beheaded).
    This may be a late response, but I think there's a much simpler explanation.

In order to sell the lie, Catelyn needed to hate Jon. If she knew the truth she would have loved him, and that love would jeopardize the lie, and Jon's life. No matter how committed she might have been to maintaining the deception, she would not have been able to fully hide her love.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    This may be a late response, but I think there's a much simpler explanation.

In order to sell the lie, Catelyn needed to hate Jon. If she knew the truth she would have loved him, and that love would jeopardize the lie, and Jon's life. No matter how committed she might have been to maintaining the deception, she would not have been able to fully hide her love.
    Man, that's a really good point. And you're right, her true lack of disdain would have made it out of the Winterfell.

Jon still wouldn't have been hers. He would be Lyanna's, a woman Cat never met. I mean, I have a nephew, I love him, sure, but it's nothing compared to the love of one's own children.

And considering how bastards are generally treated in this universe, it's not inconceivable that Cat was kind and possibly even motherly to him. The King had a bastard at Storm's End named Edric Storm who he was very fond of. The behavior towards bastards runs the whole gamut. Some are despised and thrown away (Jon Snow), some are seen as useful tools (Ramsay Snow), some are given decent positions and live what we would consider upper-middle class lives (Mya Stone, Gendry as an apprentice to a master blacksmith), and some are considered fondly, like Edric.

Considering especially the background of Jon's alleged bastardry, where Ned pretty much was married and then had his wedding night and then rode off to war for more than a year where he supposedly had one lapse of judgment while fighting gruesome battles.....that would be considered forgivable, by most noble houses.

No, to me, Ned not telling Cat about Jon is the biggest plot hole in the entire ASoIaF series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are the audio books for Game of Thrones any good?

I have like five free books on audible from some promotions and just wondering if I should get the GoT books or something else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Jon still wouldn't have been hers. He would be Lyanna's, a woman Cat never met. I mean, I have a nephew, I love him, sure, but it's nothing compared to the love of one's own children.

And considering how bastards are generally treated in this universe, it's not inconceivable that Cat was kind and possibly even motherly to him. The King had a bastard at Storm's End named Edric Storm who he was very fond of. The behavior towards bastards runs the whole gamut. Some are despised and thrown away (Jon Snow), some are seen as useful tools (Ramsay Snow), some are given decent positions and live what we would consider upper-middle class lives (Mya Stone, Gendry as an apprentice to a master blacksmith), and some are considered fondly, like Edric.

Considering especially the background of Jon's alleged bastardry, where Ned pretty much was married and then had his wedding night and then rode off to war for more than a year where he supposedly had one lapse of judgment while fighting gruesome battles.....that would be considered forgivable, by most noble houses.

No, to me, Ned not telling Cat about Jon is the biggest plot hole in the entire ASoIaF series.
    He promised her.

Ned's own personal sense of honor > everything. Claiming Jon as a bastard might outwardly appear dishonorable, but he doesn't care what people think, he knows he has done the honorable thing in keeping his promise.

Deleted
    The Audio books are good, they are read by the dude who played the Pyromancer in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

The other part is that Cat really would not have needed to ´hate´ John anyway, since for most of John´s life, Robert wasn´t anywhere near him and Cat. Also as you mentioned, bastards, especially probably those conceived during long wars were not that uncommon.

There are a lot of holes, but it is a huge amount of writing to get everything right.

Nobody has addressed my biggest plot hole, and we will see if the books follow it.

When Ramsey defeats Stannis´ army, and there was that scene where Ramsey kills off the guy who was crawling away and then makes the line about ´my wife is waiting for me´.. . In my mind, there is 0% chance that Ramsey would ever return to Winterfall without having found Stannis.