Thread: Metzen retiring

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    How about he stays and Ion H. leaves?

Quote Originally Posted by Foj View Post
    Got lucky and made the best of his luck. That's how you retire at 42.
    Whatever you say about Metzen, you got to admit this.

Wish I could be halfway that set when I retire.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Don't be surprised if he is seen over at bonfire studios with the other WoW members

It's not a coincidence that Bonfire Studios recently acquires capital and Chris is magically seen leaving for greener pastures. He can't outright join them because of poaching contract I bet, but I'm willing to put money on it once he is cleared he will show up over there.
    Last edited by xpose; 2016-09-13 at 12:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This makes me so sad. I've always loved Metzen and his storytelling.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by xpose View Post
    Don't be surprised if he is seen over at bonfire studios with the other WoW members

It's not a coincidence that Bonfire Studios recently acquires capital and Chris is magically seen leaving for greener pastures. He can't outright join them because of poaching contract I bet, but I'm willing to put money on it once he is cleared he will show up over there.
    That's my guess too. Not to say Blizz is dying or anything, but maybe the workload has gotten to be too much

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    This makes me so sad. I've always loved Metzen and his storytelling.
    I don't think he's been a part of that for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    That, and Varian, his other voice-acting role, died. Though I wonder who will play Nefarian, if they ever plan on using him again.
    Nefarian has a different voice in Hearthstone; they could always go with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    You heard "Darkrulerxxx" you are a troll for having a different opinion than him.
    implying that World of Warcraft has a bad story, when it is the most successful gaming MMO out in the World is effectively trolling and not a valid opinion.

doesn't mean that it has to be perfect. i'm more in line with his response that the base story is great while for example WoD didn't do a good job.

Putting blanket statements like in his OP made me call it out, because it was obvious bait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    implying that World of Warcraft that has a bad story, when it is the most successful gaming MMO out in the World is effectively trolling and not a valid opinion.

doesn't mean that it has to be perfect. i'm more in line with his response that the base story is great while for example WoD didn't do a good job.
    A game can be successful and still have a shit story.

Also, while not part of the company Chris can still show up in the blizzcon opening ceremonies, just hire him as a presenter.
    Blizzard's cutting corners again? Yare Yare Daze...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    A game can be successful and still have a shit story.

Also, while not part of the company Chris can still show up in the blizzcon opening ceremonies, just hire him as a presenter.
    no it really can't, WoD is a perfect example. If this wasn't WoW, the game would have been destroyed.

Aww. I always thought Metzen was a pretty bad writer, but he was such a fun, passionate, charismatic nerd-bro. It'll be sad not to see him on stage at Blizzcon any more, but I hope he has fun spending time with his family!

And heck, he's still very young to be retiring. Maybe he'll hop back in at some point in the future if he gets the urge.

Only just 2 more people on the list and must maybe WoW might be great again.

7+ Year Old Account
    And nothing of value was lost.

Seriously. some of the story/lore decisions of the last few years are below fanfic quality.

To paraphrase Frank Barone: " I coulda ate a bowl of Alphabits and crapped a better story."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Aaawww

Who'll do half of the voice lines now?

But seriously, the guy was important. Will miss him.
    Also, I hope his position is replaced by someone with at least the same passion and competence.
    It's actually been awhile since he provided a large number of voices. Lately he's pretty much only been voicing Thrall, and Thrall basically retired from being a shaman to be with his family (I guess that should've been a hint).

Keep in mind, retiring does not mean he will never voice Thrall again. It's possible Thrall will still make "guest appearances" here and there. Coming into a studio to record a few voice lines is something that retired actors have done before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    And nothing of value was lost.

Seriously. some of the story/lore decisions of the last few years are below fanfic quality.

To paraphrase Frank Barone: " I coulda ate a bowl of Alphabits and crapped a better story."
    It's been years since Metzen was directly involved in writing lore. Before Cataclysm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    Aww. I always thought Metzen was a pretty bad writer, but he was such a fun, passionate, charismatic nerd-bro. It'll be sad not to see him on stage at Blizzcon any more, but I hope he has fun spending time with his family!

And heck, he's still very young to be retiring. Maybe he'll hop back in at some point in the future if he gets the urge.
    I'm about the same age as Metzen (just over 1 year older actually). If I had enough money to comfortably retire, I would retire too.

well this sucks

are you guys happy now, you fuckers drove him away with your constant whining.

Blizzard will not recover from this that's for sure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
    well this sucks

This is objectively false. Unless you're trolling if you seriously think that people whining on a fan forum is enough to force someone into retirement then you have a very skewed view of reality.

He deserves it. And that's quite a story... getting in that early, helping shape a company of this magnitude and being able to leave at 42? It's the sector equivalent of winning the powerball.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thinking of a Blizzard without Metzen is like thinking of a Nintendo without Miyamoto. The guy's so intrinsically linked to all things Blizzard.

Who's gonna walk out on stage with doomhammer and taunt the Alliance now? Who are we going to blame for Green Jesus?

Also, this may explain the decision to kill off a certain King. Basically Metzen's last role as a Voice Actor was the Broken Shore.
    Last edited by Slowpoke is a Gamer; 2016-09-13 at 01:04 AM.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Dang. You know you were successful when you can retire at 45. Wonder what he is going to do with all that spare time. I know if I had a job like that, I don't know that I would retire. Its a dream job that hundreds of thousands aspire to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Thinking of a Blizzard without Metzen is like thinking of a Nintendo without Miyamoto. The guy's so intrinsically linked to all things Blizzard.

Who's gonna walk out on stage with doomhammer and taunt the Alliance now? Who are we going to blame for Green Jesus?

Also, this may explain the decision to kill off a certain King. Basically Metzen's last role as a Voice Actor was the Broken Shore.
    Not true, Thrall is alive, but I don't think he will last much longer. After all he can just come in and do a few lines, its not that hard. However, I think Thrall won't last much longer and they will develop his son and Aggra more which I'm fine with. A new generation, still won't stop being sad tbh.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
    well this sucks

lol? You're joking right?