Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Give it a year or two, and he'll join Bonfire Studios.

Fuck you, 2016!

This is the worst Blizzard-related news I've ever heard, I think.
    Metzen is one of the Pillars of Creation within Blizzard, and is basically the face and voice of the company.
    I don't care how much influence he still has on the games, he still carries and represents the creative spirit within the company, an assurance that the company is still human at its very core.
    I have always liked his dedication to his craft and Blizzard fans, and have always looked forward hearing him speak at Blizzcon, but of course, no one can blame a guy who's probably set for life financially to want to spend more time with his family.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reauxmont View Post
    What's with all the Thrall hate?
    It's the nerd equivalent of fashion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvani View Post
    See, they are all leaving.

We all thought that WoW was dying. It's actually Blizzard, that is dying.

I guess that is why Thrall gave up the Doomhammer.

Who's gonna voice him now?

Is that why Varian died? Is Thrall gonna die, too?
    Your view on dying and mine are totally different when blizzard is making more money than ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will definitely miss the guy, to me hes always been the face(and voice) of Blizzard and Warcraft in general. Someone's gonna get MASSIVE shoes to fill.

Oh and.. ofcourse with a post like this the SCUM that roams these boards has to once again show itself... it's honestly pathetic reading it all.

Maybe this will mean Jay Wilson returning to Blizzard?

*Maybe a bit of jealousy*
    Darn, retiring so young ... how lucky !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Menz View Post
    Maybe this will mean Jay Wilson returning to Blizzard?
    For the love of god NO NO NO

Deleted
    Chris: From the deepest heart, i wish you all the best! Thank you for all the inspiration and passion for the greatest game that the world has ever seen!

10+ Year Old Account
    And the main reason i'm going Blizzcon allover from Italy just went to sh*t.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonus-WOW View Post
    I'm coming from a place of love for this game, the team behind it, and esp the community.
    I saw Metzen talk at a couple blizzcons, and have always been a critic of the writing in the game. Ret-continuity, shoddy fact checking, Red Shirt guy exists because of the writing team and scope of this project. I actually always got the impression that Metzen had just worked on this too long, he was done, checked out, and needed to do something else with his life.. This just kinda confirms my suspicions. I don't think he wasn't a huge fan, enthusiast for his team. But I think he's been putting it on for a while. I'm happy to hear he's got a new avenue for his entire attention/ entire affection.

I think we're just witnessing a change of the guard you guys. This is a team with the best talent in the world, who create content so good that you will work for peanuts to just put them on your resume. Everyone is there to do the best, and the guys who've been around 20-25 years are probably just out of gas for orcs and humans you know? Nothing wrong with that at all.

Good post that, well said.

Quote Originally Posted by LanokirX View Post
    Ironically that he is one of the main reasons WoW even exist to begin with...
    Lucas created Star Wars, but look how he ruined it until the House of Mouse took over.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh YES! It is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Msi View Post
    For the love of god NO NO NO
    His game designing philosophies are debatable. However we don't know about the way he writes and his experience in WoW is a plus of course. Who knows if he is returning or not but he will surely make a good candidate imo.

Everyone says rip Thrall. But why rip Thrall? All Metzen is doing is leaving his role in the company. How many of the Warcraft voice actors are actually a member of the company? He can still come and voice Thrall and whoever else he is voicing. Guys come on, Chris isn't dead :P

Quote Originally Posted by merex760 View Post
    Give it a year or two, and he'll join Bonfire Studios.
    Give it a year or two, and there won't be a Bonfire Studios to join. Red 5 Studios was going to destroy Blizzard too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    Lucas created Star Wars, but look how he ruined it until the House of Mouse took over.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh YES! It is a good day.
    This has to be a joke. Episode 7 was so bad, it's the new unit of measurement for describing Jar Jar Binks popularity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Woke up to this.. this is a sad day

Chris created this world we all love and love to hate, it's his creation and now he's leaving it to someone else.

I'd also try to be enthusiastic thinking of the characters he's voiced and what would happen to them, but with Varian dead and Thrall giving you the doomhammer and disappearing, makes it just seem like the ending of an era now.

Whatever faults I could drum up about him over the years, their is no denying he created some beloved content and characters that still resonate today, and his continued enthusiasm really showed he was the heart and soul of blizzard, like George Lucas or Stan Lee.

Sad day, just hope he'll still lend voice to characters and blizzard doesn't just hire new ones.

Btw, Chris did a lot more then just Thrall and Varian, but many of those characters are now dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctim View Post
    This has to be a joke. Episode 7 was so bad, it's the new unit of measurement for describing Jar Jar Binks popularity.
    What? Dunno what world you've living in, mate. But I loved episode 7 and pretty much everyone I know did too.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

For all the grief I've given him over the years, I'll miss the guy. I wish him happy retirement.

I hope he is giving a final Blizzcon presentation. They were always great (and a little cringeworthy :-) )
    Best of luck to him. Man I wish I could afford retiring in my forties.