Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    But who's gonna voice Thrall now?
    Probably Still Metzen.

Soon it'll be "chris metzen joins bonfire studios", then we'd finally get that wow killer that everyone has promised but never delivered!!

Great farewell post from Metzen, there's a lot to learn from what he's saying there

Deleted
    good for you, you can afford to retire at 42...........i will be working till i am 70 if things keep going the same way in my country.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    Probably Still Metzen.
    Yep, he said he will.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisMetz...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Aww, man...

Metzen was pretty much the one guy at Blizzard that I actually thought was really cool. I didn't always agree with him or anything but my god how can you hate someone who was that passionate about the things you were passionate about? He rarely if ever seemed to be at all negative and people just naturally liked him. Even the Metzen memes were usually not really taken all that seriously or maliciously.

I'll kinda miss him working for Blizzard, especially if Thrall has a new voice. But I don't think a lot will change; Metzen said previously that he had taken a more backseat role since WoD, if I remember right. Still, if they change Thrall's voice they might as well kill him off.

oh damn thanks for everything Chris

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctim View Post
    This has to be a joke. Episode 7 was so bad, it's the new unit of measurement for describing Jar Jar Binks popularity.
    Would love to hear why you think it was so bad as it really, really wasn't. For another thread methinks.

Surprising news about Metzen. Hats off for what he achieved with WoW - the most immersive MMO to date and a game that gave me more than I ever expected. (token nod also to EQ of course )

All the best for your 'retirement'!

Deleted
    It all makes sense now.
    Varian died.
    Enhancement Shaman questline.
    I fear they could kill Thrall too... but who would voice him? Or will he just stay where is his as a silent reminder of Chris Metzen until the end of days?
    The signs... how could we've been so blind..

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I gues there will be no Warcraft 4 with thrall/metzens voice :O

Quote Originally Posted by Noctim View Post
    This has to be a joke. Episode 7 was so bad, it's the new unit of measurement for describing Jar Jar Binks popularity.
    Episode 7 was awesome. I think so, all of my friends think so. Only guy I know who disagrees is a colleague at work, but he also likes Trump so that kind of disqualifies his opinions as he is obviously an idiot. But I digress. It received overwhelmingly critical and popular praise. There will always be people who like and people who dislike any particular movie, because in the end it is a subjective individual opinion whether you think a movie is good or not. Sometimes you will agree with critical and/or popular opinion, sometimes not. But the fact is that according to critical and popular opinion episode 7 is an extremely great movie. The box office agrees as well. So expressing surprise by questioning if somebody is joking about expressing the opinion that Lucas ruined Star Wars until Disney took over is either ridiculous, ignorant or both.

Personally I love Chris Metzen for his overall work on the Warcraft franchise, much the same as I do George Lucas for Star Wars. But there is such a thing as overstaying ones welcome even when people are in the house of their own creation. At a certain point a franchise has matured into a place where certain criteria and characteristics defines it, then you should just do more within that framework, not change the framework itself. Sometimes, in the name of creativity, people feel they want to "try something new" and change the framework of their franchise. That's the wrong approach, if that's how you feel create a new franchise and establish a new framework for that.

Chris Metzen is leaving Blizzard redeemed however, thanks to Legion. The preceding two, maybe three, expansions had me thinking he had become to Warcraft what George Lucas had become for Star Wars. With Legion Warcraft is back in good shape lore-wise, but it is probobly a good thing for him to leave on this high note. So while Metzen is awesome and what he has done with Warcraft is overall awesome, most of his awesomeness is behind him so I am happy that he leaves now rather than overstaying his welcome. Actually makes me more hopeful for things to come, not less.

Also he said on Twitter he intends to continue to voice Thrall.
    Last edited by Zarc; 2016-09-13 at 09:50 AM.

Deleted
    Understandable to retire at 42 , he had a sitting down job and the hemorrhoids must been killing him at his age ;-) .

I've never been to in to the whole "people that created blizzard" thing but each time i saw this dude in a clip or at blizzcon i felt that he really cares and gives it all.

Just for that a lone you will be missed.

for sure wont be missing an old dude with a 17 year old complex shouting "for the alliance".... looked and sounded so retarded

10+ Year Old Account
    First ghostcrawler and now metzen?

who will voice thrall???

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    First ghostcrawler and now metzen?

who will voice thrall???
    He will.

Oh wow, I didn't expect this day to come so soon. I've expected him to leave Blizzard at some point but I thought it would be around the time when WoW is over (which may actually be sooner then we think). I like to remember Metzen as the guy who wrote a lot of amazing storylines for the earlier Blizzard games, but his writing quality took a huge nosedive after WotLK. At that point they should've just hired new writers, better late then never I guess.

I like how Thralls development heavily reflects Metzens real life.... lol.

Deleted
    Now that Metzen left Blizzard, the question arises. Are the characters created by Metzen owned by him, or by Blizzard? So Thrall and Jaina leaving, Varian and Zul'jin dying are because Metzen didn't allow the use of his IP after his leave? Or did the devs and writers only do this because of respect to him and kinda having "closure"?

And while the news is unexpected for us, it must have been in planing for a long time. The phasing out of characters had to be decided a lot earlier and they did time his leave. Not during the development cycle and only after first sales numbers have been published.
    Last edited by mmoc3285d9bbbe; 2016-09-13 at 10:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alianna View Post
    Now that Metzen left Blizzard, the question arises. Are the characters created by Metzen owned by him, or by Blizzard? So Thrall and Jaina leaveing, VArian and Zul'jin dieing are because Metzen didn't allow the use of his IP because he wanted to leave? Or did the devs and writers only do this because of respect to him and kinda having "closure"?

And while the news is unexpected for us, it must have been in planing for a long time. The phasing out of characters had to be decided a lot earlier and they did time his leave. Not bduring the development cycle and only after first sales numbers have been published.
    I'm fairly sure blizzard owns it.

Deleted
    LOK'TAR OGAR!

Best of luck in the new chapter of your life Mr. Metzen!