10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post
    Flying isn't an integral part of the game to warrant revamping. Nobody has picked up WoW because they heard you can fly in it. So why put so much focus on an aspect of the game that only some people drool over, some people down right do not like, and the majority could give a shit about either way.
    Except it was TBC's main selling point.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Anyone who argues for in game world design based on flight with zones designed to have free reign while mounted, I simply ask you to play thru Vash'jir and tell me how much you like it. One of my favorite zones Blizzard has done (short of Zombie nation in Wrath) is also one of the more hated. Now, before you cry "SWIMMING ISNT FLYING!!!" let me point out what Vash was. A fully rendered zone that used every axis in game to design multilevel style platforms, quest objectives, mobs patrolling freely in certain areas, hallway designed quest hubs, gathering nodes, good lore about the old gods and their minions, ground only "caves" (the nautilus entities), and a mount that was just under epic flight (equal to 280% flying, not as fast as 310%).
    Now, if you cant stand this place, please tell me how much you want a game based on flight. This is what Blizzard will be able to offer in terms of interesting gameplay, based on their design history of an mmorpg
    Might be one of the few ones but I absolutely loved Vash'jir! first time I got in there it reminded me of ecco the Dolphin.
    I always picked this zone over Hyjal only went trough it once to experience the story.

Swimming is still different then flying tho
    Because you still needed to fight mobs in Vash while swimming and the fighting was a bit annoying sometimes because of the axis and when you where not able to drop to the seabed without resetting the mobs.
    If you would have had a Vash zone but with air instead, you would just land on ledges/platforms and kill mobs that way and mobs would be positioned around those platforms and ledges instead. And no "swimming" trough the air and aggroing/fighting mobs in the air.

It was being forced in combat in those 3 axis, especially for melee that pissed most people of.
    Not the layered zone itself.
    With an air zone you will never have this unless we grow wings and we can engage mobs in the air while being airborne. (Aions PVP zone is a good example of that).
    while Sea of clouds in FF14 is a good example of having a layered zone with flight but still mobs on the ground and quests all over the place. <- this is what people are asking for a layered zone with certain hubs only available with flight eg flight opening up more of the zone.
    Last edited by Malackai; 2016-09-13 at 09:24 AM.

Deleted
    Anyone who argues for in game world design based on flight with zones designed to have free reign while mounted, I simply ask you to play thru Vash'jir and tell me how much you like it. One of my favorite zones Blizzard has done (short of Zombie nation in Wrath) is also one of the more hated. Now, before you cry "SWIMMING ISNT FLYING!!!" let me point out what Vash was. A fully rendered zone that used every axis in game to design multilevel style platforms, quest objectives, mobs patrolling freely in certain areas, hallway designed quest hubs, gathering nodes, good lore about the old gods and their minions, ground only "caves" (the nautilus entities), and a mount that was just under epic flight (equal to 280% flying, not as fast as 310%).
    Now, if you cant stand this place, please tell me how much you want a game based on flight. This is what Blizzard will be able to offer in terms of interesting gameplay, based on their design history of an mmorpg
    I loved the place! So, I would have no problems wich such a zone which is designed for flying while questing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Except it was TBC's main selling point.
    If you say something like that atleast back it up with proof
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Hmm....mechanically speaking, Vashj'ir is more of a truly 3D environment than any other zone. However, the presentation of that environment is totally different from an open air, above-ground zone would be. Underwater zones and areas always present a feeling of weight and oppressiveness. All that water giving some people a feeling of drowning and such. Also, the types of enemies and terrain one encounters in underwater-type areas has a very specific look and feeling to it that's VERY different from a normal zone.

As opposed to an above-ground zone, which presents a feeling of freedom and the open sky. There are a lot more options for variety of terrain and enemy types.

I'm not necessarily saying that this is the reason why people didn't like Vashj'ir as much as other zones, but I suspect it was a contributing factor(well, that and the loot from the zone was bad until you're most of the way through it). I also don't think that simply filling empty spaces in a 3D area with meaningless trash mobs is any better than filling empty spaces in a 2D area with trash mobs. And many of the issues people have with navigating a 3D environment like Vashj'ir could be addressed through a better UI that is actually built for it.

I suspect that trying to make every square inch of the sky dangerous and compelling is a mistake. Instead, they should focus only on those areas surrounding quests or other important objectives. Guard objectives with ranged mobs, grapples that pull you in, weather effects, dismounting fire, air-based mobs, etc. Also, make quest objectives that must be completed from the ground, such as puzzles, or carrying a flag that prevents mounting similar to WSG. There are many other ways to accomplish this, and mixed in with indoor areas that completely prevent flight(or mounting at all), or even large zones like Timeless Isle and such, and I think we'd have a much better overall experience.

Again, I feel like I can't repeat this enough: Attempting to apply a single, oversimplified solution or design philosophy to the entire open world is a mistake. A varied approach is much better, and allows for the open world to appeal to many different playstyles without completely alienating large groups of people. Virtually every other aspect of WoW, from PVP to crafting, has been massively improved over the last few years. And yet flight remains largely unchanged since it was introduced. Addressing that could also go a long way to solving this "problem".
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2016-09-13 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalamander View Post
    This is as far from the truth you can possibly come. In the real world it works the opposite way. If you want to be successful you must adapt to the opinion and interest of other people else you just fail. Trying to force your opinion and interest onto others will never ever succeed, never had.
    A prime example of this is just last years blizzard tried to force "no flying ever" onto the players and we all know how that worked out.
    It is a good thing she is not posting as moderator in that one, as the essence of ther post is "do what Blizzard wants or GTFO". The implications of that statement... are unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    lol indeed these flyboys are a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Loved it. Thought it was the most unique zone best looking zone I had played in years.
    I liked the zone as well. In fact, I wished they expanded on the story of that zone and the lore for possibly the next expansion. To me the zone that incorporate flying are the most memorable to me when it comes to WoW memories.

And flying mounts with groups of players going to invasion events for prepatch = epic and awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

It was on the box. Maybe you were too young to remember BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    I liked the zone as well. In fact, I wished they expanded on the story of that zone and the lore for possibly the next expansion. To me the zone that incorporate flying are the most memorable to me when it comes to WoW memories.

And flying mounts with groups of players going to invasion events for prepatch = epic and awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

It was on the box. Maybe you were too young to remember BC.
    Exactly lol. Being able to fly around with your character was a major feature of the expansion.

Personally I don't understand all this hate about not being able to fly. There are so many flightpaths at 'strategic' place around the world that getting anywhere does not take any significant time, especially with Dalaran being in a more or less strategic place (close to Suramar, for example). If you are really stressed about it, put your hearthstone in Hightmountain and you have pretty much everything covered in the approx. same amount of time it would cost you to fly there yourself. The flightpaths in the Broken Isles are fairly straightforward/efficient.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/928901-wo.../images/172561

Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    Exactly lol. Being able to fly around with your character was a major feature of the expansion.

Personally I don't understand all this hate about not being able to fly. There are so many flightpaths at 'strategic' place around the world that getting anywhere does not take any significant time, especially with Dalaran being in a more or less strategic place (close to Suramar, for example). If you are really stressed about it, put your hearthstone in Hightmountain and you have pretty much everything covered in the approx. same amount of time it would cost you to fly there yourself. The flightpaths in the Broken Isles are fairly straightforward/efficient.
    I am not buying the expansion until flying is in the game. As the artifact power requirements increase it becomes more of a slog doing world content on the ground and using flight paths. Preach did a video on this in the beta about how the world isn't designed well for long term play beyond the first month with how grindy Legion is.

15+ Year Old Account
    It was a selling point not its main selling point, learn the difference and @Mafic please dont come with childish stereotypes like that it makes you look silly.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Yeah at this point it is obvious people are just making things up to stir up controversy. It is well known that BC was heavily advertised to have flying mounts in that expansion.

- - - Updated - - -

It was a selling point not its main selling point, learn the difference and @Mafic please dont come with childish stereotypes like that it makes you look silly.
    It was a major selling point of the expansion actually.

Yeah, the picture of the player mounting a nether drake clearly ISN´T occupying almost the entirety of the back cover, with the smaller screenshots placed over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Yeah at this point it is obvious people are just making things up to stir up controversy. It is well known that BC was heavily advertised to have flying mounts in that expansion.
    Well, I´d say that this was obvious since the original threads before WoD began.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dont make it Bigger then it actualy was the expansion would have sold enough copies without flying maybe less who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Connll View Post
    Yeah, the picture of the player mounting a nether drake clearly ISN´T occupying almost the entirety of the back cover, with the smaller screenshots placed over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I´d say that this was obvious since the original threads before WoD began.
    It has always been obvious.

This is why flying will always be a contentious issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    i'm enjoying finding toys and other such ways to navigate the new zones. It does suck that they nerfed brulfist totem to the point of it being entirely useless though.
    All the toys were nerfed including the glider from High Mountain.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do i dislike not having flying enables sure but its not a deal breaker for me when playing WoW that is and always will be raiding which is in my opinion the important part of this game, the rest including flying are by products which make this game great for me only thing flying is important for is mining and herbing the WQ i can do with gliders, the whisle and stones.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2016-09-13 at 12:25 PM.

Do i dislike not having flying enables sure but its not a deal breaker for me when playing WoW that is and always will be raiding which is in my opinion the important part of this game, the rest including flying are by products which make this game great for me.
    If Flying makes the game great to you, why aren´t you advocating for it to be included?

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    i'm enjoying finding toys and other such ways to navigate the new zones. It does suck that they nerfed brulfist totem to the point of it being entirely useless though.

Just buy some goblin gliders and use emerald winds.
    Having flying enabled doesn't prevent you from doing that.

Just don't use it.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche