Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Makes sense to have a second one as it was so close the first time and it's such a massive deal. In 1979 Scotland voted for devolution by 51% on a 64% turnout, it was blocked because that was considered too low a bar. In 2016 the UK voted for Brexit by 51% on a 72% turnout, I would say the same should apply.
    That Scottish vote had a pre-agreed minimum of 40% of the electorate needing to vote Yes, whereas there was no such thing for the Brexit vote.

Changing the rules after the vote is unacceptable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I see you ignoring what the definition of ignore is. Reassigned, passed the buck, or whatever, would be appropriate, but certainly not ignore.
    No i´m not. I don´t understand why you can´t see it.

Last try. If i ask you to do something. You tell someone else to do it, you already ignored my request. Because i didn´t ask you to tell someone else to do it, i asked you to do it.

Now, if i ask you to do something, but you simply leave without doing it and another one does it instead, you still ignored what i asked you to do.

As I said, it would never have happened straight away, even had Cameron stayed. The reason being they would have needed to set up a department and lay all the groundwork, as May is doing, which takes time.
    Obviously, that doesn´t mean he never said it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    No i´m not. I don´t understand why you can´t see it.

Last try. If i ask you to do something. You tell someone else to do it, you already ignored my request. Because i didn´t ask you to tell someone else to do it, i asked you to do it.

Now, if i ask you to do something, but you simply leave without doing it and another one does it instead, you still ignored what i asked you to do.
    He said he was stepping down so someone else could invoke the article, by definition that is not ignoring it. Your English is faulty.

If I give it to someone else to do, then I haven't ignored it, if I state that I am passing on authority and specify that authority involves doing a certain thing, then again I haven't ignored that thing.

Obviously, that doesn´t mean he never said it.
    Doesn't mean he did either. Not that it is relevant, as he would not have done it the day after.

15+ Year Old Account
    He said he was stepping down so someone else could invoke the article, by definition that is not ignoring it. Your English is faulty.

If I give it to someone else to do, then I haven't ignored it, if I state that I am passing on authority and specify that authority involves doing a certain thing, then again I haven't ignored that thing.
    You ignored the request, not it. You also didn´t make sure it will be done. I do like the world you live in, where passing on responsibility about something to be done is the same thing as doing it.

Did he ever say he will step down if leave wins? Just curious.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    You ignored the request, not it. You also didn´t make sure it will be done. I do like the world you live in, where passing on responsibility about something to be done is the same thing as doing it.
    You do not understand what the word 'ignore' means, that is your problem and you trying to redefine it is not actually changing the definition.

You are arguing against the dictionary, it is not an argument you will win.

I do not know if it came up.

Deleted

No he didn't, which is why it took everyone by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    No they weren't exaggerated, it's just that the Bank of England is working overtime right now to counter even the smallest smoke in the hopes that it doesn't turn into a fire.

The fact that the Bank of England has to do this before their is even a official brexit should be a warning to all the leavers because if they are acting right now as if it was a crisis how (while it isn't) how would a actual crisis be then?
    We were predicted to have an emergency punishment budget, an immediate fall in house prices, an immediate impact on the economy and an immediate impact on consumer confidence, none of which has actually happened.

Add to that many economists have upgraded their forecasts and are no longer warning that there could be a recession this year, seems to me like the predictions of immediate doom and gloom were quite clearly exaggerated.
    Last edited by Tinch; 2016-09-12 at 03:42 PM.

I believe he said he would quote on quote 'steer the ship' whichever way we voted.

However, it's kind of a redundant argument Cameron was a cockwomble.
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

The UK will not invoke Article 50 until financials are set in stone, they'll just keep stalling and stalling and stalling until then.

15+ Year Old Account
    You do not understand what the word 'ignore' means, that is your problem and you trying to redefine it is not actually changing the definition.

You are arguing against the dictionary, it is not an argument you will win.
    So you just don´t agree with the word used. Well, since i explained it a bunch of times, do you agree with what i said?

I do not know if it came up.
    If not, one could argue the people wanted him to handle brexit.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you just don´t agree with the word used. Well, since i explained it a bunch of times, do you agree with what i said?
    Not really, no.

If not, one could argue the people wanted him to handle brexit.
    His position was untenable, he was too firmly in the remain camp, as was George Osborne.

When leave won it signalled the end of Cameron's political career and ended any chance of Osborne taking over the party leadership, May's position of "Remain, but with reservations" was a political masterclass.

All her major rivals committed themselves too much to one camp or the other and became divisive within both the country and party - Cameron became a dead duck, Osborne will probably never be party leader now, whereas he was pretty much nailed on for the job before, Leadsom was a nobody and will fade back into obscurity, Gove should be strung up and will be alienated by the mainstream Tories to eventually become some crotchety back bencher who the media wheel out every now and then, Boris might do a Lazarus, his part in leave winning demonstrated his charisma.

Cameron didn't want Brexit at all, if people expected him to lead the country into something he was so completely opposed to, then they were deluded.

Deleted
    Cameron didn't say he'll step down because he didn't think people would vote leave. Kalis pretty much explained everything already. If people choose to ignore that then continue but the reality is what it is

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Yank here. a brexit thread caught my attention of a bunch of "stay" voters that were so sure they were staying they didn't vote. Needless to say it didn't end well.

While I have no flippin' clue about British politics. I think a lot of the referendum comes from the "we're staying so I ain't voting" crowd.
    Pretty accurate. The turnout for younger voters was absolutely abysmal, and they made up a large portion of the Stay demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    Pretty accurate. The turnout for younger voters was absolutely abysmal, and they made up a large portion of the Stay demographic.

Just as many out voters felt it pointless to vote because they were confident the in crowd would win anyway.

ATM the only thing that would swing the vote would be if the uk went up shit creek with how the economy is, it hasn't...if anything it's looking better.(for now anyway)

Deleted
    What I find funniest about the whole thing is that the petition was started by someone who voted Leave, and it was started before the vote incase Remain won.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    While I have no flippin' clue about British politics. I think a lot of the referendum comes from the "we're staying so I ain't voting" crowd.
    Basically an important decision had to be made, the choices were basically shoot yourself in the face or don't. The decision was so one sided that most supporters of not shooting themselves in the face didn't bother to vote as they expected everyone else would vote for that, in addition many politicians used false promises to convince some people that if they shot themselves in the face they would win the lottery.

The end result was that 51% of the voters (the 72% that showed up anyway) voted to shoot themselves in the face. This angered a lot of people (especially those in Ireland/Scotland where a large majority had voted not to shoot themselves in the face) and afterwards the people of the UK realised what had happened and the majority have been wishing they could turn the clock back and fix it since.

*EDIT*

Hey, if you want a super yank friendly analogy, imagine a class get to vote on their school trip, it's Disneyland or Detroit, nobody bothers to vote as Disneyland is the obvious winner and everyone else will vote for it, nobody that is except the retarded kid who wants to meet Robocop.
    Last edited by caervek; 2016-09-13 at 03:25 PM.

Basically an important decision had to be made, the choices were basically shoot yourself in the face or don't. The decision was so one sided that most supporters of not shooting themselves in the face didn't bother to vote as they expected everyone else would vote for that, in addition many politicians used false promises to convince some people that if they shot themselves in the face they would win the lottery.
    Yes because the EU is a utopia, there is not a single reason why anyone would not want to be a part of it...

The end result was that 51% of the voters (the 72% that showed up anyway) voted to shoot themselves in the face. This angered a lot of people (especially those in Ireland/Scotland where a large majority had voted not to shoot themselves in the face) and afterwards the people of the UK realised what had happened and the majority have been wishing they could turn the clock back and fix it since.
    Evidence?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Just as many out voters felt it pointless to vote because they were confident the in crowd would win anyway.

ATM the only thing that would swing the vote would be if the uk went up shit creek with how the economy is, it hasn't...if anything it's looking better.(for now anyway)
    Looking better?

10+ Year Old Account
    ...afterwards the people of the UK realised what had happened and the majority have been wishing they could turn the clock back and fix it since.
    Has there been any evidence that the majority of people want to change the results? I see some relatively small scale protests, but they seem to be mainly remain voters.

Quote Originally Posted by BalwickZaik View Post
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-twice-as-high

64% isn't bad tbh.