Isit my hdd or cooler that's dying?

Hello!

I just got woken by a horrible noise from my computer, yep, it woke me up from sleep - it's that bad. At first I though my hdd was failing since the sound didn't come back until steam began updating games wich mostly are on my hdd. But then I opened the case and couldn't tell if it was my cpu-pump or the hdd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69zUaAsO4kg

Any help at all would be appriciated!

edit: apparently watching videos intensifies the sound
    edit2: Played some star wars battlefront which is on one of my ssd:s and the sound disappeared and I just heard normal fan sounds - it has yet to reappear for some reason...
    edit3: It's back but somewhat quiter
    edit4: Watching videos on youtube seem to make it go louder

Found the problem: One of my gpu-fans seem to make the noise isnce it stops when I stop that particular fan. It may be loose so that it only sound for a certain interval of rpm?
    Last edited by mittacc; 2016-09-13 at 09:33 AM.

It's definetely a fan, not a HDD. Could be GPU fans or a case fan.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

it sounds like you have a fan with a spun barring but you do need a new HDD, in that video I heard the distinct " Click of Death " this means your HDD is a ticking time bomb that will mechanically fail at anytime.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

Kitchen roll tube.

Apply to ear, apply the other end to each fan one at a time.
    That'll find which fan it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    It's definetely a fan, not a HDD. Could be GPU fans or a case fan.
    definetly sound as if it comes from the back of the case and pretty centered in height as well so the gpu sounds reasonable but if so - why did the sound stop when I played star wars battlefront on ultra? Shouldn't the sound intesify immensly if I put the gpu under heavy load if that's the case?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    it sounds like you have a fan with a spun barring but you do need a new HDD, in that video I heard the distinct " Click of Death " this means your HDD is a ticking time bomb that will mechanically fail at anytime.
    I'm not going to buy another hdd in my life but maybe this is the reason for me to buy a new big ssd with 1TB storage I'm copying my files over to an external hard drive atm

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    definetly sound as if it comes from the back of the case and pretty centered in height as well so the gpu sounds reasonable but if so - why did the sound stop when I played star wars battlefront on ultra? Shouldn't the sound intesify immensly if I put the gpu under heavy load if that's the case?
    Diameter of the fan decreases when it starts rotating faster due to centrifugal force and the design of the blades themselves.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Diameter of the fan decreases when it starts rotating faster due to centrifugal force and the design of the blades themselves.
    You mean, increases? Shouldn't the centripital force stretch them?

You mean, increases? Shouldn't the centripital force stretch them?
    I wrote some stupid ****, I meant the clearance from the heatsink, think one thing, write another, ffs.

10+ Year Old Account

Found the problem: One of my gpu-fans seem to make the noise isnce it stops when I stop that particular fan. It may be loose so that it only sound for a certain interval of rpm?
    The fan is just bad. They cant really "come loose". The bearings just go bad. Options are to replace the GPU wither with a new one or warranty if it is still under warranty. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, if its not under warranty, you can put an aftermarket cooler on your GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Provenance View Post
    The fan is just bad. They cant really "come loose". The bearings just go bad. Options are to replace the GPU wither with a new one or warranty if it is still under warranty. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, if its not under warranty, you can put an aftermarket cooler on your GPU.
    The warranty is out and I've been looking to upgrade anyway. I ordered the palit 1070 gamerock

The warranty is out and I've been looking to upgrade anyway. I ordered the palit 1070 gamerock
    Far from the best choice but will do I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good call on the 1070. I love my Gigabyte one. I haven't heard of Palit until now though.

Far from the best choice but will do I guess.
    It's seems good in performance, cooling, noise (3 dB lower which is half the sound of my current one) and it consumes 100W less under load. The only drawback I've found is that it's so damn ugly!

It's seems good in performance, cooling, noise (3 dB lower which is half the sound of my current one) and it consumes 100W less under load. The only drawback I've found is that it's so damn ugly!
    I dont mean the GPU itself, I mean the specific implementation.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not going to buy another hdd in my life but maybe this is the reason for me to buy a new big ssd with 1TB storage I'm copying my files over to an external hard drive atm
    just remember the lifespan of an SSD is limited by its total read/write limit. this means if you was writing and re-writing a lot of data each day to the drive it will shorten its life span. that said a high quality drive will have a high enough limit to out last the system.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.