Thread: Metzen retiring

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This makes sense. King Varian is dead, Thrall retired (Metzen did their voices), plus the previous expac was an orc-obsessed homage to, well, orcs...seems like Metzen was setting this up for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    He's spread so much misinformation about lore that people have used as canon that it's not even funny. He claimed that the Cataclysm was caused by the death of Cthun and Yogg when it was explained in game to be from DW emerging from Deepholm and the damage it caused by shattering the world pillar caused the elements to go crazy.
    What do you mean with misinformation? Wasn't he the main guy behind the Warcraft Lore?

Deleted
    i hope this will not inflict wow to big.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominus89 View Post
    I dont think I should have to explain to you, a random troll on one of the most toxic forums on the internet, why I admire Chris Metzen for his work and passion for the Warcraft franchise and many other Blizzard games, like Overwatch. where he was creative director. And considering Overwatch are doing pretty well right now, I'd say that he aswell as the rest of the team behind it, did a pretty good job.
    If I'm a "troll" and this is "one of the most toxic forums on the internet", then why are you here? Oh. Wait a second. You can't actually answer the question so you would rather attack me and (for whatever reason) this site.

he was a good guy, one of the few people i think deserved to be on that team. The only thing i dislike is hearing his voice acting all over the game, it feels like since he was a higher up he got the voice role for whatever he wanted, its cringing voice acting too. good luck to him though, i enjoyed his work (except the voice acting wanna be part)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    This makes sense. King Varian is dead, Thrall retired (Metzen did their voices), plus the previous expac was an orc-obsessed homage to, well, orcs...seems like Metzen was setting this up for awhile.
    he happens to also love night elves, something most people who hate orcs forget because they can't seem to fathom the creator of so much of this world might like more then one aspect of it.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    That expansion announcement still gives me shivers:

It's sad to see him go. He was very passionate about Warcraft.
    his passion is real here, too bad cataclysm marked the beginning of wows downfall

Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    As I was saying, lost all passion for Warcraft, stopped writing good stories.
    Okay, create several worlds that are subsequently enjoyed by millions of people. We'll wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    See ya at Bonfire studios.
    I thought the same. And I hope he will join them.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's "retiring" for six months or a year or whenever his noncompete with Blizzard-Activision expires. Then he will join Pardo's new company (or another like it), saying he's had enough vacation and needs something to occupy himself and he's SO EXCITED about what the new company is doing.

But he has to let the NC expire first. Heh.

This game just keeps on losing subs. I'm sure Metzen would have stayed if there was FLYING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Literally said in his post hes not moving on, hes retiring. Should go re read his post, seems you missed that. He said flat out hes not going anywhere else, hes settling down and spending time with his family.

I was waiting for the one person who was going to make this a conspiracy even though Chris flat out said he was retiring.
    I don't think you understand what "retire" actually means. Most professionals don't "retire" and sit on the couch eating twinkies all day. They take some time off and then go do some consulting work on the side because they don't need the cash and can quit at any time. I guarantee you he will be doing some work with Bonfire and I'm willing to bet some of it was office politics at play forcing him out.
    Last edited by xpose; 2016-09-13 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyah View Post
    feels weird.
    That's how I've felt.

I know the guy gets a lot of hate for lore (and Thrall), but tbh he always seemed pretty chill to me and is mostly driven by love of gaming/nerd stuff. Seemed pretty cool.
    Horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    For which I think all of us are grateful. I don't wish Metzen ill, but I am happy to see him leave. I think he has been a big factor in the really shitty lore moments over the past couple expansions (as in every single time the entire story stopped so we could watch Thrall do something). I wish him well and I hope the story can grow and improve now.

As a side note I caved and bought Legion, thus far I've actually gotten choked up at three different cutscenes and I've only done Azsuna and Val'Sharah. While WoD had only one moment that made me actually feel some emotion was the one part of the garrison campaign when Baros Alexston dies (I shed a few tears). While there is still some stuff I hate about Legion (Ret's stupid mastery+playstyle), the quality of the story is significantly improved.
    That's because Cataclysm - WoD was written not by Metzen but by Kosak. Who isn't that good a story teller. Legion has their own story writer.

Metzen stopped being the main story writer during the end of Wrath, so the whole Super Thrall can't be put on his lap either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    He's "retiring" for six months or a year or whenever his noncompete with Blizzard-Activision expires. Then he will join Pardo's new company (or another like it), saying he's had enough vacation and needs something to occupy himself and he's SO EXCITED about what the new company is doing.

But he has to let the NC expire first. Heh.
    NCs are not legal in California.

10+ Year Old Account
    The year is 1995, a 12 year old nerd is given a copy of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans for the PC, and while I have no idea what I am getting into at the time I really enjoyed it, and it wasnt so much the game I enjoyed, but the gaming manuals that would come with the game, I was so engrossed in the lore that the gaming always came second.

I have still got the Manuals to Warcraft 2 Tides of Darkness/Beyond the Dark portal, Diablo 1 + 2, and Starcraft, those things were my bible as a kid.

It was thanks to Metzen's ability to create a world and interesting characters (at the time) that brought me into the fantasy world that I am captivated by now, I am so thankful. I would say it was something so great as the Warcraft universe that got me into doing creative writing. It's so sad to hear the man retire, he is a legend and genius that few franchises outside of Witcher and Bioware games have managed to capture the passion I have had for the lore, whether it be a horrible lore decision of something silly or just something so grand.

I for one hope whoever takes over from Metzen can do the job justice, and be better, because we all know they'll never be another Metzen.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Kids like you are disrespectful and delusional. Metzen has always been a dedicated guy who worked on the Diablo & Warcraft franchise for over 2 decades with unrelenting passion and commitment.

Grow up, learn to show respect where it is due.
    1) not a kid
    2) Yes, he was a driving creative force in much of Blizzards early years, but like George Lucas, he eventually started crapping on his own creation.
    3) I will show him respect when he apologizes for shit he has heaped upon me and every other Alliance player over the years for preferring Alliance over Horde.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    Sorry if I dont understand the meme, but when was Thrall "ever" shoved down our throats? How is he any different than Tirion?
    Did you even play for the last 8 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    It'll be like when konami, the cancerous company it's become, makes any new metal gear and snake games, now without kojima, it just won't be the same.
    Hideo Kojima plagiarized Snake from John Carpenter.
    overwatch 2: waifu boogaloo

I hope he's not sick. Please don't be sick Chris.

Never thought he would leave. Perhaps he saw Overwatch release as the right time as he was deeply involved with that project.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...As a few people have said, if you think you can do better than Metzen/Ghostcrawler/Kosak/Afrasiabi/etc., do it. It's that simple.

It never ceases to amaze me how many of you folks easily betray how emotionally invested in WoW you are. Not were but ARE. Those who truly turned their backs on WoW aren't here or on the official forums trashing the game at every opportunity. You're free to dislike changes to the game but if you're not willing to adapt to changes in someone else's world, then leave.

Video Game fans in particular--not just WoW--have developed the false notion/hope that if they whine long enough and loud enough, game makers will adjust the game to their liking. Never forget that a game maker's first priority is making money first and making you happy second. Too many of you insist on being ignorant of that fact. The devs who've said they're making games "for the fans" or "are fans themselves" are not lying on that note. They also know fans will buy the game regardless and there is nothing wrong with that.

Blizzard has been constant from the beginning. What's changed are the expectations of fans and gamers. That's not Blizzard's fault and all attempts people like to make to say that it is just don't want to accept personal responsability. Here's a case example that's been talked about alot: Someone rushes through new content in a week then complains there's nothing to do. By their "logic", it's Blizzard's fault they have nothing more of what they want to do because they did everything they could do. I hear that and my reaction is "get a life". Period.

Speaking for myself, Metzen has nothing left to prove to anyone. He made the Warcraft Universe with his own two hands. No one can touch that.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Quote Originally Posted by Requimortem View Post
    If I'm a "troll" and this is "one of the most toxic forums on the internet", then why are you here? Oh. Wait a second. You can't actually answer the question so you would rather attack me and (for whatever reason) this site.
    I did answer your question though.
    If you're satisfied with the answer or not is not my problem.