Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hm...we certainly never had a top guild....but we cleared that place in a couple of nights. Took us definitely longer in Ulduar or ICC. So if there ever was a raid that I'd call eays, it was WotLK Naxx. On my server, the only place that was regularely pugged from /1.

But maybe there are more here who agree that Naxx wasn't easy.
    That is so awesome and you are now my hero. If more guilds existed like yours, Blizz would certainly be inspired to make more challenging raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Lets hope they don't end up like most of the other ex-big company startups. The talent seems to be there but they still need employees, IPs, etc...
    Best of luck to them.
    Yeah. I'm wary after the likes of Guild Wars 2 and Wildstar which - unless I am mistaken - were created largely by Ex-Blizzard employees. Ironically, though, for all the issues I have with WoW both Wildstar and Guild Wars 2 proved to be just as bad to me albeit in different ways. Both had an immense amount of potential but an unsatisfying lack of direction and in GW2's case the marketing manifesto proved to be an outright lie in regards to planned content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    Blizzard offshoots have never been very successful in the past.

Let's see how this one does.
    Arenanet?

If you don't think Blizzard is paying attention to Arenanet then you might want to look at Legion again. Blizzard learns from its competitors.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I doubt they'll go moba route if their direction is to create "good memories" with friends. Mobas are meant to break friendships.

As indie, I assume they'll have a smaller team which I highly doubt they'll try to build an MMO with. Takes far too many resources to build and maintain for an indie studio. MMOs are overdone and everyone is sick of them.

Bonfire makes me think they were inspired by Souls series. Maybe a blizz-like hotbar-cooldown based x souls-like action but more accessible and with classes/roles x hotjoin co-op campaign/dungeon crawler. I'll be disappointed if its just another isometric action rpg geargrind borefest like poe/diablo/every indie game iteration.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    There are a number of platitudes on their web site among the dramatic photographs of the founders. The last one is "Challenge Makes the Journey Worthwhile", so that worries me a little bit because the whole "players want a harder challenge" has killed more games than it has saved.
    There is a difference between challenge and grind, that is always the rub. Balancing effort and time investment vs. repetition. My character in Everquest1 took 1 year real-time and 50 days /played to hit L50... Yeah, I wasn't the most efficient, but even the best people were only doing it in like 35-40 days /played. From what I remember, my first L60 in WoW took somewhere around 20 days /played. SWTOR I want to say it was something like 8-10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfGuns View Post

By now i wonder if a lot of the recent leaves were not... suggested leaves anyway. I mean its my personal opinion but i still consider Gregg Street a homongous hack and never got why so many liked him when you can pinpoint the bad decisions and horrible design flaws growing by the minute from the second he became lead designer, and now he is gone long enough to safely assume his influence left the body we got Legion...
    Yep, Street and also that useless corporate dicksucker Jay 'Shut Up PvP Guy' Wilson, who recently jumped the Blizz ship too. I'd say it goes higher up than those types, who after all had to be taking orders to get the end results that their bosses wanted, which would be maximizing profits for shareholders and executives (guys like Metzen who can "retire" now at 42 years old), Kotick and Morhaime, etc. - no matter how people like Street or Wilson had to change the game to do it. They certainly haven't put their customers concerns first unless they lose enough subs to force the issue.

Deleted
    riot games no thanks i dnt wanna be friends with anyone from LOL id rather drink bleach

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    -snip-
    oh my.

Wildstar failed for a plethora of reasons, but one of them isn't the art/world/story. Hell, it's actually praised. It failed mostly because of the "HURRDURR HARDCORE" mentality that made most people simply leave the game because they couldn't lose time on an artificial gating.

Also: if you don't like sci-fi environment, what does it have with fantasy lol. They are two completely different things and are completely unrelated.

I can agree that the modern way of "get everything fast" isn't good. Games are becoming more a consume item than a thing where you can put effort and make it last. But making an MMO based on TBC will only make it fail. Hard. Because people won't play it en masse and any game studio won't develop a game (especially an MMO) that cannot sustain itself.

Last: i like how you denigrate modern WoW expansions after TBC and you actually bought and played them all Legion included. Vote with your wallet, rants on forums never work and are never heard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Borfl View Post
    Bonfire makes me think they were inspired by Souls series. Maybe a blizz-like hotbar-cooldown based x souls-like action but more accessible and with classes/roles x hotjoin co-op campaign/dungeon crawler. I'll be disappointed if its just another isometric action rpg geargrind borefest like poe/diablo/every indie game iteration.
    That would be good. Dark Souls is a "hard" game in the sense you have to put effort into memorizing attack patterns and respond accordingly. I find it a little "slow", but mostly because i'm used to Monster Hunter which follows the same scheme and it's basically bosses fights everywhere; its pace is a little faster.

Basically, you have to figure it out. Death is annoying but it's not a penalty - it's something you want to avoid to beat it, but it doesn't matter much if you never die or do it 1000 times.

As for the ARPGs thing: well, there are things still unexplored on that side. the mouse movement+small set of hotkeys setup imho is great. Check Lost Ark Online; on one side it'sthe standard korean mmo, but it has some very interesting stuff going.

They can do whatever they want. I just hope they focus more on game quality than to appeal lots of people which ends everytime into not pleasing anyone.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what they will create but having been a blizzard fan boy for 20+ years I am willing to give them a go...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    They also have no game in development. They've gotten $25M in funding from investors Riot and Adreessen Horowitz to sit around and try to think up The Next Big Thing and to hire people to help them brainstorm and prototype ideas.

There's no "partnership" with Riot really, they're just investing in this new startup company.
    Yeah, its kinda dubious that this gets announced without anything more substantial like at least a concept of their first game in development.

Its like someone breaking off from their band to go solo, but then not having any actual songs written or even brainstormed.

I don't care enough about this... but there's investing.... and then there's "investing". Depending on Riot's terms, they could have substantial influence & guidance over the fledgling group to help ensure a return on their investment. OTOH, they could simply be throwing money at them cuz the industry is an incestuous place.

Riot is super possessive of its Esports scene and basically behaves like a control freak girlfriend.
    Sounds like a bad partner if you just want to do your thing and avoid bureaucracy.

Oh well. Hope it works out for them.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, I don't get what the argument here is even about, Naxx 2.0 WAS indeed extremely easy.
    And yet LFRs would still regularly wipe on Heigan If we had at least one healer that wasn't incompetent, I would usually make the 20 dead people watch the 5 of us solo Heigan over 10-15mins the rest of the way just to show them how bad they were. (In comparison to Naxx40, where you had to toe the line and if you fell behind at all, you were just dead.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    Partnering with Riot? Welp, I won't expect anything good from them then. LoL is garbage, and if they're of a similar mindset to them, then no thanks. The main part of the industry has truly forgotten its roots and completely fallen in bed with catering to the Candy Crush market instead of actual gamers.
    Thats why LoL is the most played video game created by a western game developer. Total garbage ..right .

Problem is, if they are going to make an MMO they are just wasting their time.
    I REALLY REALLY hope they aren't.
    Everyone saying they are trying to remake classic - that already happened. The game was called Wildstar and it was a complete joke.
    No one actually WANTS a game like classic in 2016. There are people who want actual classic, but making a whole new game around this principle is not going to work.

I don't know what they could even make at this point, but chances are unless they are simply lying about Legion, there is not going to be any reason to play it over WoW.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

I'll never understand why people Hated TotGC, when i go to a raid im there to kill bosses, not to spend half the night killing useless trash

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    riot games no thanks i dnt wanna be friends with anyone from LOL id rather drink bleach
    Yeah because Riot will have creative input. They are a backer nothing more. And why would a business care if you are their friend or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Chisa View Post
    Thats why LoL is the most played video game created by a western game developer. Total garbage ..right .
    Candy Crush is popular, but that doesn't make it good. LoL has archaic controls that make movements imprecise and the game is kore about memorizing meta due to whoring out 200 characters in the item shop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    I'll never understand why people Hated TotGC, when i go to a raid im there to kill bosses, not to spend half the night killing useless trash
    I think half of it was waiting for Ulduar which was amazing, only to replace it with something comparatively lazy within like three months. And replacing a dagger made from stars with some rusty shit with boarhide on the hilt felt wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvani View Post
    Which ones weren't successful?
    Mark Kern was worked in Blizzard on Diablo 2, but he later left. He tried do Firefall MMO, but it was ruined not especially for his fault, but more to Chinese group The9. I visited lately official Firefall forums, and they added censorship to words like Ember, The9 etc.

Back to topic.

Partnership with Riot? Why everyone want even work with them? They are not better than EA seriously.

Maybe this will turn out as a success. At least I hope so. Best of luck!

From the wording, I don't think they are trying to work on any huge projects, but rather smaller, more manageable ones. Few player games (like D3), maybe some mobile games as well, but I don't see them doing an MMO, the investments alone would be risky, and although I can see RIOT going for it (heck, even a LoL MMO would probably not be a misstep on their part), I don't think a16z would take such risks.