Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    California 80-85mph. 70 miles non rush hour commute every day for 12+ years. No ticket, no accident. Lots of rage because of slow drivers in the left lane.

Also Waze running on the dashboard for cop sightings.

Deleted
    When I was young I was insane. After I got a new car I started to drive a lot more relaxed. The trend continued after I realized nothing is worth risking accidents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    I commuted 1.5 hours for a few miles every day in LA. I learned to get good music, pick a lane, and just accept that it takes time.

I've also, maybe, put my cell phone on the dashboard while it played a movie...I might have done that too...
    Sounds like you're wasting your life away on the road. What a long time to spend commuting.

I'm a motherboard USB driver... Oh wait wrong sort of driver!

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    Here in germany you are not so much watching whats in front of you, but try to estimate how fast the guy behind you in right lane is coming near. is he doing 180 ? or 300? can i go out overtaking the guy in front of me, without forcing the guy 1.5 km behind me to go full iron on his breaks because he had triple the speed of flowing traffic?
    The other most intense problem is : will the lorry driver move out in middle lane to overtake , forcing a shitton of people to break , and cause a jam of really slow (100) traffic over all 3 lanes, that needs like 10 minutes to dissolve?
    I hate driving the A8; the trucks love racing up the hills between the Autobahn Dreieck Karlsruhe (junction between the A5 and the A8) and Pforzheim (with one of them doing 79kph up the hill and the other doing 79.5).

And yeah, your mirrors are your best friend on the German motorways, especially when traffic can and does move at more than 200 kph. I don't know about other countries, but at least you are taught how to drive and overtake on a motorway in Germany when you get your licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    And yeah, your mirrors are your best friend on the German motorways, especially when traffic can and does move at more than 200 kph. I don't know about other countries, but at least you are taught how to drive and overtake on a motorway in Germany when you get your licence.
    TBH in NZ according to your driving test motorways do not actually exist, and I believe this is a common thing the world over. I really wish they would teach people how to merge, if you want to take your time take the back road, don't merge with 100kph hour traffic at 60.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

basically I hate every other car on the road that's not mine.

I live in BC, we have a ton of bad drivers here such as:
    people that slow down to 0 before making a right turn,
    people that drive 30 in a 50 zone..
    and people that stop arbitrarily for no reason at all in the middle of the road or stop for a crosswalk when the pedestrian is at the other side of the street and hasnt even started walking yet (you stop when they reach your side only)

with that being said I'd say I am a sensible driver.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Birmingham police are cool and let you go up to 10 over without being stopped. However I love using my horn. I will blow my horn at you if:

- You pull out in front of me and don't speed up.
    - You turn without giving a signal.
    - The light changes and at 1-Mississippi you haven't moved.
    - You cut in front of me without signaling.
    - You are driving way too slow in the right lane. I'm talking about under the speed limit.

I don't drive because I'm narcoleptic and I'd just end up falling asleep and killing people while driving.

But, since I live in the pacific northwest US in a nice city with good bike lanes and buses I just do that.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'll just follow someone (not tail gate as I leave a lot of space) and go from there. If im leading ill go 80 MPH as cops here don't care enough to pull you over unless you speed in a school zone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

No you don't. It's the law if you're in the left lane and a faster driver comes up behind you, you're supposed to move to the right lane. What you are is a dickface.
    Who said i was in the left lane? Who is the dickface?

Quote Originally Posted by abracmike View Post
    These idiots tend to get a generous helping of windshield washer overspray from me on the freeway or highway.
    Gonna fill it up with acid or something, to see if that gets them Thanks for the idea!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no point in speeding like a fucking moron. I don't get why people drive like maniacs. They weave in and out of cars going 20 miles over the limit and then I see them like a mile later at a light maybe 2 or 3 cars ahead of me. Sure glad you wasted all that fucking gas with your foot on the floor aren't you?

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't usually drive...but when i do....i run over every draenei i see.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I hate driving the A8; the trucks love racing up the hills between the Autobahn Dreieck Karlsruhe (junction between the A5 and the A8) and Pforzheim (with one of them doing 79kph up the hill and the other doing 79.5).

Driving in Germany is a breeze compared to the US. I think the US should adopt the German Driving License test and its cost. Maybe we would get better drivers in the US. I am sick of a person pulling into the passing lane to pass someone while driving 1 mph faster then that person then just flat out refusing to get back in the driving lane so the faster traffic can pass.

In the US, drivers only yield to Police, everyone else is on their own.

I know I'm not perfect, but my focus is 100%+ lol.
    The average driver is decent, at best. There are a lot of people who are either idiots or simply have no clue what they are doing.

I literally have to pay attention to every car around me at any point of time. I'm not joking.

I have yet to meet a person who drives optimally, for my standards.

Most of the time, the reason why drivers suck is impatience.

Responsible and even a bit lame according to some. No weaving, overtaking (unless behind a slowpoke) or going above the speed limit. I'm a stickler for rules and the few seconds I might save driving like there's a fire under my ass, are not worth the risks.

I've basically gotten my driving style from my father.

Deleted
    A preety tame one, who knows and follows the rules.

It annoys me if someone doesn't drive the limit when there is no reason to (For instance; driving 70, while speed is limited to 90 and the road is straight); but it also annoys me when someone sticks to my car's behind ignoring any kind of safety distance.

I sometimes have my moments of powerplay doe:
    If i am on a highway, overtaking someone and someone else drives up from behind trying to force me to speed over the limit to make way for him I tend to keep my calm, not accelerate and then move of the lane slowly (slower than i would if he had not just annoyed me).

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Driving in Germany is a breeze compared to the US. I think the US should adopt the German Driving License test and its cost. Maybe we would get better drivers in the US. I am sick of a person pulling into the passing lane to pass someone while driving 1 mph faster then that person then just flat out refusing to get back in the driving lane so the faster traffic can pass.

In the US, drivers only yield to Police, everyone else is on their own.
    Then American licences might actually be accepted here If you're in Germany for more than three months you have to get a German driving licence if you only hold a US one (and that means driving school, theory exam, eye exam etc).

For those that don't know, getting a German licence involves:
    at least 2 hours night-time driving with an instructor
    at least 4 hours motorway driving with an instructor
    city driving with an instructor
    non-city driving with an instructor
    parking and low-speed maneuvering with an instructor
    total of ~40 hours and approximately 1000km distance with an instructor
    14 90 minute theory lessons at a driving school
    eye exam at an opticians
    clean criminal record and no recent drug or alcohol related offences
    You can only learn in an automatic if you have a reason (most schools don't have an automatic), and you are then only allowed to drive automatics
    Theory exam with 30 questions giving a maximum of 110 points (pass grade is 100 points out of 110 (92%), but if you get two questions worth 5 points wrong then you fail regardless of the rest of the answers)
    45 minute practical exam with your instructor and an examiner (and can involve motorway driving)

And then you have two years probation with a 0 tolerance on alcohol and if you pick up two minor offences or one major offence then you have to retake your test and probation is extended to four years

Oh, and on average it costs about 1500 euro if you pass everything at the first attempt.

10+ Year Old Account
    I similarly thought I was god's gift to the road when I completed my learner's at 17 and drove like a maniac. Within a couple of years and some humbling experiences I mellowed out and have been driving well into my mid-20s as a still hasty but law-abiding, patient driver.